Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MEV Rocket build 1.6 zete SE
pocket rocket

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
MEV Rocket build 1.6 zete SE

Hi Chaps,

Iv had a quick look and couldn't find much in the way of mev rocket pictures so thought i would put up a few.
iv been building the car for almost 18 months now (building a workshop and having a baby get in the way of car building!) the first few months of pictures are fairly dull, just me fitting the floor pannels, and putting in bush's etc so ill just put up the good pic's. enjoy ...

[Edited on 22/12/09 by pocket rocket]

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

pinto

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
looking good so far
i like the the look of these
even making me think about doing one from scratch keep going and keep use posted

mr henderson

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
What's with that steering column mounting? Looks a bit out of context with the rest.

pocket rocket

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mr H,

Yes it is a bit, i had a real problem finding a way to support the column and this is what i came up with... it does look better painted up and you can't really see it through the front pannel, not my best work but it is very strong so i trust it to do its job.

pic's of the back....

engine wasn't square to start with so needed a bit of work

pocket rocket

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
work in progress... still a bit of wiring to tidy up,

locost ram air

pocket rocket

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust system has cost under £100 so far, not sure how good it will be for performance but it sounds ace! ha ha

nick205

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I also really like the look of the Rocket - be good to see it finished and OTR

zilspeed

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst the car is still in build, might it be possible to add some additional bracing to the front structure which carries the top wishbone. Specifically, the front pivot.

Whilst strictly speaking it doesn't have to resist a bending moment from the wishbone, in practice it will . Then there's the consideration of how it will respond to the other forces that it is subjected to in cornering and braking.
P.S. I thought long and hard before responding to avoid causing offence, it's your car after all.

Something like this ?

[Edited on 22/12/09 by zilspeed]

pocket rocket

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
hey mate no offence caused at all

i have thought the same in the past, but stuart mill (the guy at mev) has put up posts in the past about the tests and calculations on the chassis strenth... and i know nothing about these things

im planning to strip it down next winter for an engine chance (3sgte if it will fit) and chance of colours so i think i might do it then as the power of the engine will be more than double what i have now and i think that might be the time to strenthen the chassis both front and back and the engine mounts.
what do you think?

zilspeed

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
hey mate no offence caused at all

i have thought the same in the past, but stuart mill (the guy at mev) has put up posts in the past about the tests and calculations on the chassis strenth... and i know nothing about these things

im planning to strip it down next winter for an engine chance (3sgte if it will fit) and chance of colours so i think i might do it then as the power of the engine will be more than double what i have now and i think that might be the time to strenthen the chassis both front and back and the engine mounts.
what do you think?

You know, this is pretty much why I rarely post anything on here about what I'm actually doing - or not doing as the case may be. No matter what choice or decision you make, there's always some twat on the internet who says "oh no, I would that different."
On this occasion, I am that twat.

Ultimately, you're the man best placed to make the call, besides which it's difficult to make any sort of informed comment based on looking at a few isolated pics on the web. It's just that this area doesn't particularly seem to subscribe to what I would see as best practice. (I'm off again).
The bit I'm talking about appears to have been designed in 2 dimensions (I'm talking about the isolated front corner where the front of the top wishbone pivots.)
Looking at it again, having the wishbones short like that on the projecting substructure almost seems like a missed opportunity.
The bones could have been longer and picked up diectly on the main structure with some nice pushrods working some vertically mounted coilovers in front of the pedal box.

I'll post some pics later of the type of thing I'm talking about. In the meantime, ignore me.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine just as it is.
(P.S. Like the look of your engine choice, the Zetec SE used mid engined like that makes sense to me.)

All the best JF

pocket rocket

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
thanks mate, your comments and ideas are most welcome, this is my first build so there is still alot i don't know or understand.
During the build i have re-done some things 3 times because i keep thinking of better ways of doing them which is why some peopl have finished theres in 6 months and im still not done after 18 months still its not a race i guess.
the new engine is going to take alot of work so i think i will do any major welding and fab work then.
the 1.6 SE engine is the engine mev put in the demo rocket when i went out in it... its only 100bhp but dam it was a fast car and its a smooth engine and rev's well

pocket rocket

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
couple more pic's...

MikeR

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the same as Mr Whippy but was nervous about posting (always nice to see someone being a bigger twit than myself)

Good luck with the build - looks like your doing well and you're way ahead of me

pocket rocket

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the comments guys, we can get a good old chat going when it comes to choosing the best way to strenthen the chassis and engine mounts next winter. untill then iv been working on this...

with the new IVA rules the fuel tank can't be in the passenger compartment, engine compartment or luggage compartment so it needs boxing in with ali pannels and sealing to stop any possible fuel leaks from finding there way in to te engine compartment or passenger compartment i love iva rules!!!!

zilspeed

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
That looks the part

beaver34

posted on 31/12/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
looking good,

have a look at the shawspeed engine kits if you want more power great stuff, i run alot of there stuff in my 7

pocket rocket

posted on 31/1/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
hey mate,

yeah the shawspeed stuff is very nice but it does cost a bit.

I may well just run it as it is for 18 months and then get to work on the 3sgte install.

beaver34

posted on 1/2/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
hey mate,

yeah the shawspeed stuff is very nice but it does cost a bit.

I may well just run it as it is for 18 months and then get to work on the 3sgte install.

£270 for set of cams that will run 140-150bhp not bad in my eyes!

designer

posted on 1/2/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I am confused by the huge tubes feeding the master cylinderts!

Surely they are not IVA compliant?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pocket rocket

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
its just 10mm hose to connect the reservoir and the mc's...

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/brake-fluid-filler-hose-10mm-id-bfhose10-5033-p.asp

i hope its ok

pocket rocket

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
On the subject of the hose i have used a fellow MEV owner has brought this to my attention...
-----------------------------------------------------
Recently a MEV owner presented his car for SVA including letter and receipt for the subject hose. The Inspector still not satisfied with the Fitness for Purpose deceleration from Rally Design, emailed 'Gates' in America for the hoses specification and discovered that the hose was only suitable for synthetic based brake fluids (i.e. DOT 4 ) and not for petroleum based brake fluids. The Builder being unable to prove that he had used a synthetic brake fluid and having not put a warning on the fluid chamber, failed his SVA.
------------------------------------------------------

CBS and RD sell the same hose, i got mine from CBS so i sent them an email last night at about 10pm... they had replied by 8am this morning and im going to call them later to discuss ordering up my new hose
glad i found this out before i had put fluid in my system!!!

pocket rocket

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
with the brake pipes (and many other little things sorted it was time last week to take the car out for its first test drive and shake down to see whats what!

heres a few pic's (body work is off so i could keep an eye on fuel lines, coolant pipes, brake lines and joins etc)

broken drive shaft bearing fixed last week after a failed first attempt at a test drive ..

eddie99

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looking real nice. Everytime i look at the Rocket, i like it more and more... Can't wait to see your progress on the car.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pocket rocket

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks mate will put up more pic's soon.

the rocket kit is now better than it ever was... road track race (the guys that now make and sell the rocket kits) are tig welding the chassis and they have all lazer cut brakets etc etc.

the car is easy enough the build but there is alot of it on show so most of the work goes on making things nice and neat and trimmed well and there is very little body work to cover up looms, pipes etc.

its crazy to drive, with no sides you can reach out and touch the floor as you drive along (don't though! lol)

eddie99

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it does look Excellent, Just seen your in Cambridge, not far away at all. Hopefully will see it at some shows soon
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.