Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How much progress did you make this week?
irvined

posted on 31/12/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
How much progress did you make this week?

Despite being comotose from the amount of christmas cake I've eaten, I've managed to do quite a lot this week, work was quiet enough I didnt have to stay all that late so the evenings where garage time.

So far I've managed to do this:

1) Tidy up the car lifts wiring so its permanently plugged in via its own circuit breaker with earth/neutral seepage detection gubbings.

2) Stripped and rebuilt the crossflow with a kent 244 cam, cleaned it all down, and rebuilt it with lockwire and loctite on all the things that ever came loose over the last year.

3) Cleaned the garage, this was no mean feat, but everything is now more or less back where it should be.

4) Permenantly installed the LC-1 in the seven, taken out the megajolt and replaced it with the microsquirt box, wired the behind bulkhead parts in, ie connected up power, earth, and lambda, and various warning lamps. Refitted dashboard, ready to configure and start the car.

5) Wired up the engine side of the microsquirt, so far all I can do is the MAP sensor, and the TPS, as all the other wires need the engine to be fitted so I can plan the route and cut to length.

6) Removed the prop shafts in the fury, loctited and lock wired everything that could be loctited and lock wired. Made a locking tab for the rear flange which uses nuts and bolts.

7) Fitted the passenger seat, and seat belts in the Fury

8) Cut all the alcantara to shape for the interiror save the dashboard, fitted quite a lot of it until I ran out of glue.

9) Made the dashboard form fibreglass from my polystyrene mold. Sanded it down and have added a bit of reinforcement where needed. I've also added some filler to a few places where I could feel it wasn't quite right. This is now nearly complete.

10) Cleaned the garage again.

11) bonded the nose cone to the bonnet to form a one piece lift off one. Previously they where bolted together but that was ugly. I've now primed it and can see a few places that need some more filler. It will no doubt crack in time, but overall it should still look better than it did before as it was also covered in cracks and scratches from where it landed.

Still quite a lot to do before either will start and run, but its progress and I'm happy with that.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

blakep82

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell. thats more than i've done all year!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

kendo

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine inspected by DVLA.
MakeEverything

quote:
Originally posted by irvined
Despite being comotose from the amount of christmas cake I've eaten, I've managed to do quite a lot this week, work was quiet enough I didnt have to stay all that late so the evenings where garage time.

So far I've managed to do this:

1) Tidy up the car lifts wiring so its permanently plugged in via its own circuit breaker with earth/neutral seepage detection gubbings.

2) Stripped and rebuilt the crossflow with a kent 244 cam, cleaned it all down, and rebuilt it with lockwire and loctite on all the things that ever came loose over the last year.

3) Cleaned the garage, this was no mean feat, but everything is now more or less back where it should be.

4) Permenantly installed the LC-1 in the seven, taken out the megajolt and replaced it with the microsquirt box, wired the behind bulkhead parts in, ie connected up power, earth, and lambda, and various warning lamps. Refitted dashboard, ready to configure and start the car.

5) Wired up the engine side of the microsquirt, so far all I can do is the MAP sensor, and the TPS, as all the other wires need the engine to be fitted so I can plan the route and cut to length.

6) Removed the prop shafts in the fury, loctited and lock wired everything that could be loctited and lock wired. Made a locking tab for the rear flange which uses nuts and bolts.

7) Fitted the passenger seat, and seat belts in the Fury

8) Cut all the alcantara to shape for the interiror save the dashboard, fitted quite a lot of it until I ran out of glue.

9) Made the dashboard form fibreglass from my polystyrene mold. Sanded it down and have added a bit of reinforcement where needed. I've also added some filler to a few places where I could feel it wasn't quite right. This is now nearly complete.

10) Cleaned the garage again.

11) bonded the nose cone to the bonnet to form a one piece lift off one. Previously they where bolted together but that was ugly. I've now primed it and can see a few places that need some more filler. It will no doubt crack in time, but overall it should still look better than it did before as it was also covered in cracks and scratches from where it landed.

Still quite a lot to do before either will start and run, but its progress and I'm happy with that.

Clearly someone who is;

A) Married to an understanding man/woman
B) Single
C) Child-less
D) Livin the Dream!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

quote:
Originally posted by kendo

Your Garage???

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

irvined

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

Clearly someone who is;

B) Single
C) Child-less
D) Livin the Dream!!

E) All of the above???

That may qualify me as a sad git, but i'm determined to get the mods and build finished as quickly as I can so I can go on another trip.

irvined

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Your Garage???

I'm sure stranger things have happened at the DVLA.

Richard Quinn

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
So far this last week I have managed to ...
order a sequential shift light and ...
errrm nope, that's it actually

Miks15

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Clearly someone who is;

B) Single
C) Child-less
D) Livin the Dream!!

E) All of the above???

That may qualify me as a sad git, but i'm determined to get the mods and build finished as quickly as I can so I can go on another trip.

your both married to an understanding man/woman and single?

Not sure you can quite be all of the above

02GF74

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
spent a couple of hours since it were not freeing and ...

a) undid bolts holding scuttle down
b) removed stalk housing from steering column
c) unplugged connector for instruments
d) removed scuttle
e) undod bolts for steering coloumn
f) removed steering column
g) punch out pin in steering column (bugger still won't come apart!!)
h) remove lower steering link
i) trial fit lower link
j) measure diameter of steering column
k) calculated wall thicknes of CDS tubing to extend column
l) search for CDS tubing on ebay

ok, so lied about l) just about to do that.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Walked into the garage a few times, decided that it was far to cold and dismal to do anything...

I have done the following though:

a) worked out how I was going to wire my wipers to give me self-park without the special Lucas switch.
b) bought the wire, switches, relays, etc. to allow me to fit the wipers, screen-wash, and other stuff.
c) resisted the urge to rearrange everything so that I could use a Sierra column switch for lights and wipers (I decided that it REALLY wasn't worth the huge effort!).

Note that all this was done in the nice warm house!

I really must organise some decent heating in the garage (and yes, I do know about sealing draughts, insulating the door, wearing thicker clothing, etc. )

flak monkey

posted on 31/12/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
1) Finished the supercharger mounts for the duratec

2) Partially decorated the first room in the flat

3) Measured up the engine bay and discovered everything will just fit in, but I am going to have to move the steering column.

4) Tidied up in the garage in preparation for moving the car to its new home.

5) Spent all my Christmas money

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

kendo

posted on 31/12/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your Garage???

I'm sure stranger things have happened at the DVLA.

doh! No, the car for registration purposes. What got me was when the dvla blokey said "don't see the point of us doing this when its already been sva'd"

Class in a glass......

[Edited on 31/12/09 by kendo]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 31/12/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Oi - when did you get married Irvined & why wasn't i invited??????

(IrvineD is one of those people who's rather motivated and gets lots done for those who've not yet figured it out).

So far this week i've stayed with my parents, eaten far far far too much and helped my mum get about (3 weeks post hip replacement). Got back to mine yesterday. Today i've walked the dogs legs off and am sat nice and warm in the lounge watching some great film about a princess with a sleeping dog and the g/f.

Far too cold go to out and play cars. Tonight i'll be drinking, eating (more!) and probably playing wii games ..... defo go in the garage tomorrow as the car is going to be finished in 2010 ..... 10 years after starting

prawnabie

posted on 31/12/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I havent opened the garage door for 2 weeks now!!!
rickys2000

posted on 31/12/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaned car to showroom shine and waiting for DVLA man to come and take a look before getting plates issued
irvined

posted on 31/12/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
quote:
quote:

Clearly someone who is;

B) Single
C) Child-less
D) Livin the Dream!!

E) All of the above???

your both married to an understanding man/woman and single?

Not sure you can quite be all of the above

Oops, must have inhaled more glue/petrol fumes than I realized.....

bimbleuk

posted on 31/12/09 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
2 weeks off over Christmas and new year and I've sold my Striker. Minor detail was that I had already sold the complete engine install to another buyer and so needed to fit another engine!

So from a completely bare engine bay including no radiator to the below. I've also fitted a new nose which required trimming, grill, lights and number plate. I would have fitted the exhaust back on today but forgot I had removed the studs so need some more. I would have started the engine also but I'm missing the fuel rail inlet connector.

I also managed to buy an RX7 with a blown engine to use for a chassis donor. That's the next project.

Engine back in 2
Engine back in 2

big_wasa

posted on 31/12/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Havnt done any work in months to mine

But I will kick my own arse and make a start this week end

Would help if the scrapi was open before the 4th

alistairolsen

posted on 31/12/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Bought Mrs a car
Fixed said car for MOT (front and read brake overhaul, 2 new springs and some generic TLC)
Made and fitted my diff mounts
Made up my rear suspension cradle
added some more triangulation to the chassis
Mocked up the pedal box
Started on the front suspension mounts
Tidied the garage

The ice in the garage melted for approximately 2 hours a day with the heater running from 8am till 7pm.

My Build Thread

Jos Fury

posted on 2/1/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
@irvined : what gauge do you use in combination with the LC1 ?
Still looking for a gauge which shows lambda, nof AFR, but the XD 16 is simply too expensive.

irvined

posted on 3/1/10 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Jos,

I'm using an xd16, its very nice, and also pretty convenient, a while ago i saw some guages on ebay that used the analogue output and were pretty cheap.

Jos Fury

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.
Vindi_andy

posted on 4/1/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Starting from a roll of material and some thread with a handfull of lift the dot fastener and some polyprop webbing chucked in for good measure nearly made a surrey top for Tango. In the process nearly killed wifes sewing machine.

Bought a boss and fitted my new sterring wheel that i got for christmas.

Ate far too much and played lots of games.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.