Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Asthmatic Mondeo
NigeEss

posted on 4/1/10 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Asthmatic Mondeo

Got call today from a chap with a sick Mondeo. 1998 1.8 petrol.
Says he was doing 50 odd down a dual carriageway when there was a dull pop and it lost
power. Now won't rev above 2.5k. Had a quick look this evening in the dark. Nothing obvious.
Drove it and it sounds like the old "bogging down" we used to get on carbs.
First thoughts were a blocked fuel filter but surely that wouldn't happen so suddenly so collapsed cat maybe ?
Getting the car in tomorrow to investigate further.

Just thought I'd pass it by "The Gods Of All Knowledge"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

blakep82

posted on 4/1/10 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
a rubber part of the air intake sucked off (oo-er) of a metal bit so the engine's getting more air than is going past the air flow meter, so affecting fuelling?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

maartenromijn

posted on 4/1/10 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Mayeb you can find something here: http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/Idle.html

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Danozeman

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
If there was a pop its gotta be a pipe off. Id go as above pipe popped off or split between maf and engine.

Failing that cats gone.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
is it a duratec?? There are some plastic baffles in the intake manifold that break up, could be one of them

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would suspect either inlet pipe adrift, jumped valve timing or a blocked cat converter.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

will121

posted on 4/1/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
is the lack of umph the result of the actual fault or is it just the ECU gone into limp home mode after picking fault up? worth a look fit the odvious external things first but if member of RAC ect could be worth a ECU fault code check before pulling things apart
NigeEss

posted on 4/1/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
is the lack of umph the result of the actual fault or is it just the ECU gone into limp home mode after picking fault up? worth a look fit the odvious external things first but if member of RAC ect could be worth a ECU fault code check before pulling things apart

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
is it a duratec?? There are some plastic baffles in the intake manifold that break up, could be one of them

It's a Zetec and first thing I did was check for fault codes. Weren't any

donny

posted on 4/1/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had this on a '98 mondeo. It was the cat that had collapsed. A local garage changed it out and checked the lambda sensor too.

Cheers,
Donny

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/1/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Had exactly the same on my Mundaneo, but it's a Mk1 model, so can't say if they've sorted it - BUT there are two immediate suspects:

1. On mine, there's a small rubber elbow under the induction manifold, just down from the EGF valve. Mine had split, the cause of a rough idle and an inability to rev. £5.00 from your Ford Stealer.

2. Later fault, the MAF sensor. Two little resistive wires in an alloy block. They fry themselves in a clean-up mode, eventually failing (as mine did), suddenly. Engine wouldn't run cleanly, no power, nothing above a few K revs, no idle, seriously unhappy. If you pull the plug on the earlier models, the ECU will use a default sensor voltage (fixed) and run beautifully, as mine did, while you find a new one. The later models (apparently) come up with a fault code if you pull the plug.... as I don't have a later model, I don't know. I did eventually replace the MAF, an Ebay part (£28 used), no problems.

NigeEss

posted on 4/1/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cat rattles like buggery so new one just arrived but far too cold to fit tonight.

steveyb

posted on 7/1/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
i'm having a simlar problem with a 2.0 94 mondeo. i cant get it started. when its trying to start there is a loud poping noise as if its back firing. i sprayed easy start into it and it kind of went for a sec or two but still nothing. could it be the cat collapsed and blocked? and also that air temp sensor?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.