Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Conversion of FWD hubs to non drive
Baz Kirmy

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Conversion of FWD hubs to non drive

I have a question about converting hubs.

I have a set of servicable fiesta hubs sitting around, which are clearly FWD. Is there any way to replace the axle drive shaft with some replacement to keep the holding torque on the hub.

Without something of that sort (a high tensile M24 bolt, perhaps, or a cut stub?) I'm sure the forces on the hub would rip the bearings out of the upright.

Any experience with these, or do I consign the hubs to the scrap heap?

nick205

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Strip the end off the driveshaft and get the CV tripode yoke turned down in a lathe (not strictly necessary, but will save a good chunk of weight) then reassemble into the upright.

Might be tricky holding the remains of the driveshaft still while you tighten the hub nut though.

[Edited on 5/1/10 by nick205]

Baz Kirmy

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I figured that would be the easiest way. Better dig out those old shafts - if I haven't chucked 'em.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
you going to use them on a 7? seems a bit pointless really as you could easily get hold of sierra ones for very little and definitely less than altering the fiesta parts. Sell what you’ve got on e-bay and use that to help pay for something more appropriate.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baz Kirmy
I have a question about converting hubs.

I have a set of servicable fiesta hubs sitting around, which are clearly FWD. Is there any way to replace the axle drive shaft with some replacement to keep the holding torque on the hub.

Without something of that sort (a high tensile M24 bolt, perhaps, or a cut stub?) I'm sure the forces on the hub would rip the bearings out of the upright.

Any experience with these, or do I consign the hubs to the scrap heap?

If you look at the front end of an MGF, it uses metro hubs with the stub left in place. The guts of the CV joint are removed.
Apart from being metro bits as opposed to Fiesta, this is pretty much what you're talking about.
The other exception to this is that the metro hubs are meant to be used with wishbones whereas the fiesta ones are not.

MGF hub showing stub with rusty bit where CV joint would be on a metro.

nick205

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh wait till I get to work next week and rib my boss about his beloved MGF being Metro based - that'll wind him up a treat

Zil - are the Metro uprights front or rear steer then? I'm guessing rear steer as it's transverse FWD. Otherwise they'd seem ideal for a 7 type vehicle.

johnston

posted on 5/1/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure of splines etc but the last shape transits in rwd form had an insert in front hub

Much like the mentioned cv joint done in a lathe

hillbillyracer

posted on 5/1/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Oooh wait till I get to work next week and rib my boss about his beloved MGF being Metro based - that'll wind him up a treat

Zil - are the Metro uprights front or rear steer then? I'm guessing rear steer as it's transverse FWD. Otherwise they'd seem ideal for a 7 type vehicle.

Yeah in true BL style the MGF was built out what the had lying about!

By front/rear steer do you mean the steering to the front or rear of the axle line? If so the they're rear steer I'm afraid but on Minis & Metros at least & I expect the MGF too the steering arm unbolts & so could be possibly moved to right way? It'd need the postioning worked out to get the angles right for a front mounted rack.

twinturbo

posted on 5/1/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I converted a sierra 4x4 front end to 2wd by removing the CV.

TT

Alan B

posted on 5/1/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I did similiar with mine, but using all custom parts....more pics on the site.

[img]http://www.tiki-cars.com/gallery01/#0.15[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 5/1/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
If they are going onto fabricated wishbones, or even indeed using standard metro bones, you would be free to choose where your pickup points are on the chassis. At the very least you can still choose caster angle and swap them over side to side. KPI you would be stuck with, but thats still the case if they stay as they are.
I tend to think (and would be pleased to be put right if I am wrong) that the scrub radius for these bits is way better than using a Sierra hub with a mushroom.

MikeRJ

posted on 5/1/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
At the very least you can still choose caster angle and swap them over side to side. KPI you would be stuck with, but thats still the case if they stay as they are.

The main difficulty would be the Ackerman angle. Also remember these uprights are designed to have suspension loads through the top balljoint.

Baz Kirmy

posted on 5/1/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
@ Alan B

Very, very impressive work! All your own design?

I'm intrigued by one image in particular:

http://www.tiki-cars.com/gallery01/#1.8

It looks here like the insert is not splined to fit into the splined hub. Is that correct? If so, has it caused any problems where the spline tops mounts on the insert?

I like the solution to the problem, though. Did you machine them yourself?

~b

Alan B

posted on 5/1/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Baz, thanks.

The insert is not splined, it's a couple of thou' less in diameter than the spline ID. I believe it's only serving to clamp it all together in this application so fitting the splines is not required IMO.

So far I have seen no problems.

Yes, it's all designed and machined by me.

Alan

Baz Kirmy

posted on 5/1/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Alan - I'm assuming you have a fair amount of machining experience - especially looking at those uprights! CNC'd?

My wife looks incredulous that I could get so excited about a plate of metal.

What steel did you for the bolt?

baz

Alan B

posted on 5/1/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Baz, again thanks.

No, the uprights are plasma cut, bent and welded.

The bolt part actually is a bolt, 3/4 UNF high tensile IIRC which I ended up drilling right through with a 10mm hole (IIRC)

The bigger part was turned from solid.

If I'd had spare stub shafts available I would have modified them, but I didn't hence machining from solid. At least with being hollow it's a pretty lightweight solution.

Alan

britishtrident

posted on 5/1/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
The MGTF rear upright is a pretty neat item.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The MGTF rear upright is a pretty neat item.

Now that, I didn't know.
That's quite a bit different from an F is it not ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.