Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle body hose - help please
r1_manx

posted on 5/1/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle body hose - help please

I'm pretty close to running the 2003 R1 engine in my mini and have come to fitting the throttle bodies where I now have a bit of a problem. The negative pressure hoses were all still attached when I got my engine kit from Malc at yorkshire engines, so they should have all been accounted for when fitting the throttle bodies to the head. But I have ended up with a stray hose that I am struggling to find a home for and wondered if anyone on here can help me please. Here are the pics I took tonight along with some annotations...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r1manx/sets/72157623146282138/

The hose comes out of the throttle bodies at one of the head (outlet is next to the throttle pot) and then tee's into one of the throttle body pipes in the middle, and it's the remaining end that runs to other side of the head that I can't seem to locate. I would really appreciate some help on this, it's so close to being a runner and I am itching to get her running!

Cheers
Ben

If im not in action, im in traction!

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is that a fast idle air valve in the middle of the shot? I assume you have connected to that.

There are all sorts of hoses. Here are a couple of parts diagrams:

linky

It could go into the AIS system. My guess is that you don't need it so blank it off.

Don't forget to video the first start-up for us all.

Matt

r1_manx

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Which shot is showing the fast idle valve sorry? I'm still learning my bike engine bits. I've looked at the pdf diagrams in the service manual I downloaded and I can't seem to locate the hose I have left over. The individual throttle bodies have the bleed pipes on them and the stray hose I have connects to 2 of the throttle bodies but tee's off to the side of the head and i'm not sure what it's for. I don't want to blank it off until know what it's purpose is.

If im not in action, im in traction!

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think the aluminium thing in the middle of the shot here

Is the fast idle air control isn't it? When cold it lets air through (to compliment the extra fuel supplied by the injectors) to get the engine running at higher (more stable) RPM when it is warming up.

It has to let additional air into the engine.

I am not familiar with R1 engines, but there are loads out there who are. If I were you I'd download an R1 service manual. http://www.mediafire.com/?4amw2k3r2no perhaps

Matt

afj

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
where that pipe comes from the throttle body nearest to the front of the car should T in to the rest of the bodies all 4 should be linked

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

afj

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
1 Rescued attachment IMG.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG.jpg

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bassett

posted on 6/1/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
mattgsxr i think it is the cold start but for water instead as i have mine hooked into my cooling system and i believe it works like a thermostat opening then closing the cold start cooling.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/1/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Basset,

Fair enough, I was mostly guessing. How does the R1 get extra air when cold?

Is their a "choke" type cable (a la early gsxr600) or is is driven from the 2nd-ary butterflies (like the gsxr1000). Or does the air sneek in a different route.

Just interested,

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.