Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a car without tax
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a car without tax

I'm buying a car (hopefully) this weekend from an independent dealer. I'm trading my current car in for it and am wondering how I can possibly drive it back legally.

The car has MOT, I could get temp insurance but as I understand it I can't go to a post office have a tax disc issued on a temp insurance certificate. So I'll be stranded with an MOT'd insured car with no tax.

The last couple of cars I bought i just drove back without tax but this one is a lot further away and with the crappy weather im a bit worried about it.

How can I do this legally at short notice?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

scootz

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Get your insurance sorted out online now, then email the dealer a copy of your certificate... he can then have the car taxed for your arrival.

It's Evolution Baby!

austin man

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cant the dealer tax it for you and charge the extra cost

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

speedyxjs

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Cant the dealer tax it for you and charge the extra cost

Id definitely insist on that

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah he probably could, I haven't asked him yet.

The only thing is I'm not 100% whether I am going to buy the car until i get up there. I'm not obligated it either way though so ill give it a whirl

[Edited on 5/1/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mcerd1

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
this lot say you can if the post office will accept it ???

might be worth checking up on it before buying though:
https://www.tempcover.com/TempCover/tcvTxtReasons.aspx

(got the link from the rust 2 rome banger rally site)

[Edited on 5/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

blakep82

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
theres no way you can drive it without tax, at all

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bmseven

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
You will be fine driving without tax assuming
you will have a dated receipt, your section of the V5 dated and are insured.
You will need to then at the earliest opportunity tax the car from the beginning of January

You would have to be unlucky to get nicked, it's a fine only and no points but would most likely just be reported to DVLA.
Job Done

[Edited on 5/1/10 by bmseven]

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thats fine assuming i don't have an accident, am i covered, i wouldn't have thought so

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
You will need to then at the earliest opportunity tax the car from the beginning of January

You would have to be unlucky to get nicked, it's a fine only and no points but would most likely just be reported to DVLA.
Job Done

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

prawnabie

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
My insurance states that am only insured if the vehicle is licensed.
JoelP

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Thats fine assuming i don't have an accident, am i covered, i wouldn't have thought so

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven

Job Done

nah, they cant refuse to pay out for no tax, thats ridiculous! I crashed with no MOT and got paid out.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
As above, I'd of thought - at the end of the day, if you're insured and the car is safe (MOT) then the insurance have no justification for not paying out.

And you are going to tax it within 14 days of getting it home I assume!

morcus

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think they can.

Best bet is to get the dealer to tax it but I don't know what the rules are on that, Phone a head and ask if he could do it if you decided to buy the car (Making sure he understands not to do straight away) get there early and get an insurance quote with a quote number then if you want it, buy the and arrange the insurance on the phone.

Or you could get hold of a trailer.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

...... Dont crash it........

You are permitted a period of grace to tax a vehicle. 14 days IIRC.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

prawnabie

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the vehicle in those 14 days though and get caught you will be prosecuted for not displaying a tax disc. The 14 days is a grace period to tax or sorn the car - It cannot go on the road until taxed.

There are loads of ways you can "get away with it" but is it worth it? - you will have to tax/insure it anyway so why not do it sooner and get it back legally lol.

jmh

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi There,

I recently bought a car with no tax (about 6 weeks ago), and like you, I was not sure I was going to buy it until the day. In the end I did buy it and what I did was get straight on to a computer do the temp cover and print out a cover note .... then off to the post office.

Now the post office is allowed to refuse but I would say that you would have to be really unlucky to have that happen. I also don't understand why one post office would accept it (like mine) and others would not. At the end of the day you have fulfilled all of the requirements (V5, MOT Cert, Insurance cover note).

Also post offices tend to be quite common .... just find another one if the first one proves to be unhelpful.

Hope that helps

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, getting it back legally is exactly what i want to do. Not looking to get away with anything.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

NigeEss

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
How much MOT is on it ? As you can drive without tax to a pre-booked mot......

It's perfectly legal to MOT a car that still haa several valid months an of course you want
your own independant test done

Ok....I'll get my coat................

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

morcus

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Only problem with the MOT Idea is that if it fails and you've got more than a month left you lose the remainder and have to have the work done straight away to use it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

HOL

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I had this when I bought the wifes car last year. A year old forester from Subaru.

After I had agreed to buy, the dealer phoned his insurance for a temporary 3rd party covernote for the car and sent his boy down to the post office, with the logbook.

10minutes later, he was back with a tax disk.

So it is possible, for the dealer to tax it.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Only problem with the MOT Idea is that if it fails and you've got more than a month left you lose the remainder and have to have the work done straight away to use it.

Are you sure about this? I was always under the impression that remaining MOT was still valid, though you would still be liable for driving the car if it was not roadworthy.

phoenix70

posted on 6/1/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
How much MOT is on it ? As you can drive without tax to a pre-booked mot......

It's perfectly legal to MOT a car that still haa several valid months an of course you want
your own independant test done

Ok....I'll get my coat................

You won't get away with this one, the only reason you can drive a non taxed car to an MOT is because you can't tax it. If it has a valid MOT then you can and must to drive it on the road.

[Edited on 6/1/10 by phoenix70]

blakep82

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
^ yep, if its MOT'd then theres no reason why it can't be taxed. it MUST be taxed to drive on the road (unless you need to drive to an MOT, if you DON'T already have one)
there's no grace period. as far as i'm aware, there is if you've bought tax online, but waiting for the post. then as long as the rozzers can see its been taxed on their computer, then you have so many days to put the disc in.

you CANNOT drove it without tax. all you'd need to do is drive past a traffic car with ANPR on and you've had it. points, fine, and i think they can take the car off you and crush it, no questions asked

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bmseven

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
There is no points for no tax!
& typically an £80 fine tho if you were reported and subsequently taxed it then hey

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

prawnabie

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
There is a grace period of 14 days, this refers to the 14 days you can have no tax on the car after it has expired. If you do not tax or sorn it within this period you will be highlighted by there much hyped "computers".

The car cannot be "on the road" within these 14 days, but can be driven to a pre booked MOT test if there is no MOT left.

Its also worth noting that you cannot TAX a car if there is only a few days MOT left. im not sure of the exact number though.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.