Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: school kill creativity?
spidersaurus

posted on 8/1/10 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
school kill creativity?

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

One of my favorite talk in TED , thought I'd share it and see what you guys think too

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/1/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Stifling creativity is one thing the british system does very well.....

The masters in charge have a bad habit of keeping you down and stealing your ideas,
presenting them as their own and getting the credit for it.

As for the school system they just wanted to turn you into a penpusher. Life was made hell for those who thought differently and generally you got dumped into the loser group as you didn't conform.
Throw a problem like dyslexia into the mix and you are fooked.

School system doesnt encourage creativity....hence the reason the uk is on the way down.
Its easier on the school to produce a majority of office worker types/macjob people rather than tradesmen or people who produce goods/builders/ect.

If you are more practical you should be encouraged to go that route even go to a trade school/college.

One day we will all work in macdonalds and China will be the superpower.....

or maybe the west is looking to Nam as the new china.

ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9_mED99cdk

[Edited on 8-1-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Nash

posted on 8/1/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I found that deeply inspiring and I do find Ken Robinson an excellent orator.

My dilemma with the concept is how you know what natural skills a child has that can get them on the right track for education?

If a child shows a talent for drawing it doesn’t mean he is going to be the next Turner, If he shows a real interest for working with Dad on the kitcar it doesn’t mean he is going to be the next Colin Chapman. If you make the decision to “follow the signs” and the signs are wrong then you have a happy child doing what they like at school but a second class adult with specific qualifications and nowhere to use them.

He also makes the assumption that all learning is done at school! How many kids do extra-curricular clubs, football, music, scooting, computer clubs, gaming, etc. etc. The ability for kids (and adults) to do whatever they want is more widely available today than ever before and this will only continue.

I agree entirely with the philosophy and I do like Ken’s ethos and delivery but I feel it would be just as wrong to segregate and funnel as the current system. That’s why college post basic’s is a good idea. Now if we had a way of creating the “learning model” so education didn’t stifle creativity but actually embraced it….. now that’s worth chasing.

IMHO

Good Post
………….Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I hated school from the day I started to the day I left. I think I was reasonably intelligent kid but the traditional school system just didn't work for me. Maybe the modern system would have - who knows.

I know that i did very well in various technical courses (to the highest level in City & Guilds, for example) and always enjoyed company training, so it wasn't lack of brain-power.

About 15 years ago I decided that I needed some formal qualifications, so I got a Masters Degree from the OU... who knows what I could have achieved if I'd been inspired to work at school?

Nash

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
you know what they say......

Education is wasted on the young.

..........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

JoelP

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
i think whats needed is parents who can fill the gaps that school leaves, and who can encourage their children to explore lifes possibilities. I was taught at home from 10 by my mum, and would be a genius now if i hadnt blown it smoking weed ah well...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

spidersaurus

posted on 9/1/10 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
eastern education is probably even worse at this. I went through half my elementary school years in Taiwan.

Now it is almost impossible to talk to my cousins ... they dont know much outside of school and hobbies are limited to the few that EVERY Taiwanese knows and supposedly "loves".

If it werent for me moving to US, I dont think i will ever be exposed to motorcycle, cars, or any other hobbies I do now.

RK

posted on 9/1/10 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
I learned one thing at school: you can't get by feeling good about the fact that you're in school. You have to actually memorise things; something almost discouraged at one time during the 60's and 70's when I was in school. Fortunately, I live in a place that allowed second chances, and I went to uni in my late 20's, and just sort of kept going. Let's just say it paid off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.