Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dashboard Idea
eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Dashboard Idea

Hi Guys,
As some of you know, my a level design and technology project is a dashboard/centre console for my kit.
Just done a rough sketch on solidworks to see what you think about it.
Main Dashboard will be bag press laminated with a carbon fibre laminate. Middle section will be made seperately, all of which will be machined. Most probably painted but with the circle cut out down to the top of the pocket a laser cut sheet of ally.
Sorry its not very clear, i havent sorted out all the edges yet but i hope you get the rough idea
Thanks in advance
Ed Rescued attachment dt pic 3.jpg
Rescued attachment dt pic 3.jpg

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Pic 2: Rescued attachment dt pic 1.jpg
Rescued attachment dt pic 1.jpg

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Rather than paint would powder coat not be better?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly but its going to be machined out of a high density type model board. So a soft paint can make a really nice finish!
nick205

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very good and would finish the interior off well.

A couple of ideas for the steering column cutout...

1. Maybe think about building in some sort of cowl into the dash for the steering column - the standard Sierra cowl is never a great fit and always needs extending or the gap covering in some way.

2. Maybe try and get the bottom edge of the dash low enough so you can have a hole through the dash rather than a notch for the steering column. It might be more fiddly to assemble the column/dash/wheel, but would really give a "designed" for purpose finish. It's an area on most builds that people struggle to find a neat solution to.

All intended as constructive input BTW as I think the design so far is very good

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'd fit the big new mini speedo in the center

[Edited on 8/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nick,
I like the idea of building some sort of cowl into the dash. Have looked at trying to make the dash low enough so you can have a "hole" but there is very little room as it is in the cockpit so i think the disadvantages are better than the advantages if you know what i mean...
Unfortunately, i havent started building any of it yet, and there is a time limit ending in march so the cowling idea might be just too much todo in such a little time...
Thanks for the comments
Ed

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
The lower edge needs some shape to it as it makes the dash look to heavy

Nash

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. I really like the principle and continuity of the centre binicle but the "passenger" side needs some shape at the bottom it give it some "finesse" and more importantly legroom.

I also like the idea of the Mini Clock in the centre....

IMHO

......Neil

[Edited on 8/1/10 by Nash]

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i totally agree with you.
The dashboard will be a bit thicker so the radius will be legal.. But i was going to have a cut out for passenger leg room but the problem is, when you bag press laminate, it can only curve 1 direction because of grain. And you can't curve a curve if you know what i mean, so its pretty hard to put any shape into it without it being legal dashboard and curved at the bottom. This is why we are making the middle section separately to add some shape.
Thanks

russbost

posted on 8/1/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can get a fibreglass replacement for the Sierra cowl which incorporates the Acewell dash into it ie it has a sort of "pod" on top of the existing cowl which the Acewell goes on the front of. Let me know if it's of interest.
I know Eddie's using an Acewell because he bought it from me - sensible chap!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hehehe U2U on its way Russ
gottabedone

posted on 8/1/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice Ed. In the centre of the console you have a rectangle in the centre of a lot of circles. Can this be rounded off?

looking good and refreshingly different

Steve

eddie99

posted on 8/1/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gottabedone
Looks nice Ed. In the centre of the console you have a rectangle in the centre of a lot of circles. Can this be rounded off?

looking good and refreshingly different

Steve

Thanks Steve, this rectangle in the centre is actually going to be a screen slot for a little performance gadget called VI Performance. But maybe the 4 corners will be slightly rounded off, Thanks for suggestion!
Thanks
Ed

eddie99

posted on 22/1/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a slightly evolved version: Hope you like...
Appreciate the comments
Thanks
Ed

eddie99

posted on 22/1/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment Dashboard 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Dashboard 2.jpg

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/1/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good looking center console

Good looking.
I wish I had the skills and time...
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 22/1/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind comment
Thanks
Ed

DavidW

posted on 1/2/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I can get a fibreglass replacement for the Sierra cowl which incorporates the Acewell dash into it ie it has a sort of "pod" on top of the existing cowl which the Acewell goes on the front of. Let me know if it's of interest.
I know Eddie's using an Acewell because he bought it from me - sensible chap!!!

Russ

Any pictures?

David

eddie99

posted on 2/2/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a little update:
Firstly a model to show how the centre console will be made in 3 sections, and this is the progress i have made so far:
Sorry for the size, will resize in a minute

Rescued attachment IMG_0131.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0131.jpg

eddie99

posted on 10/2/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
I have now machined 2/3 of the centre bit and have had the ally laser cut.
Unfortunately today, i started the bag press laminating procedure. Unfortunately the carbon fibre formica snapped on the 20mm Radius at the bottom of the dash.
Its just too weak and i need to get this out of the way so i think my best way forward is just to bag press 2 layers of flexiply and then use some suede/alcantara to cover it. Unfortunately it wont be as waterproof but every solution has it losses.
Pictures incoming!

eddie99

posted on 10/2/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.