Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snow tw@ts II
MK9R

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Snow tw@ts II

Driving at 5mph with 30 cars stuck behind, none of whom can get up enough speed to get up the next hill due to the snow tw@t!!! Saw a woman this morning doing just this with her face pressed up against the windscreen causing havoc!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Was her face pressed against the windscreen cos she'd only cleared at 10cm2 of ice?

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Was her face pressed against the windscreen cos she'd only cleared at 10cm2 of ice?

Without wishing to be sexist this is the standard position that the less confident female drivers seem to adpot; I often see them hunched over the steering wheel with their nose virtually on the screen.

scootz

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
How to turn a 20mph shunt into a trip to the Neurosurgery ward!

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
...or the other form of snow tw8t who refuses to stay in line when everyone else is going nice and steady with good gaps and decides he has to overtake all and anyone on straights, bends, hills - anywhere.

I felt like pulling out on him to show him where the hedge was - I managed to stop myself

deezee

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I too spent 10 minutes of my morning commute stuck behind a woman who chose to panic and stop everytime an vehicle came the other way down the country roads. Awesome
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
...or the other form of snow tw8t who refuses to stay in line when everyone else is going nice and steady with good gaps and decides he has to overtake all and anyone on straights, bends, hills - anywhere.

I felt like pulling out on him to show him where the hedge was - I managed to stop myself

well everyone’s different, can't say I hang around behind a queue of traffic that's crawling.

Quite funny, yesterday I was happily towing a loaded double axle trailer with 17inch low profiles on the Bluebird through snowed in housing estates picking up furniture and look of disbelief on some of their faces when they couldn’t even get their cars out and here’s some guy towing a trailer! What is so difficult about driving on snow??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

well everyone’s different, can't say I hang around behind a queue of traffic that's crawling.

Quite funny, yesterday I was happily towing a loaded double axle trailer with 17inch low profiles on the Bluebird through snowed in housing estates picking up furniture and look of disbelief on some of their faces when they couldn’t even get their cars out and here’s some guy towing a trailer! What is so difficult about driving on snow??

I did try and go out in my mondeo first this morning and it was terrible, i could not get any traction at all, even just letting clutch out with no revs at all the wheels just started to spin. I got stuck on the brow of a hill, where as the astra behind even managed to get started again after i blocked their path. I eventually got it going with a piece of carpet, got home, dumped it and used the Disco!!! I suppose i should have realised the mondeo tyres were rubbish as i slipped off my drive and bounced off the neighbors house!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

norfolkluego

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
with her face pressed up against the windscreen causing havoc!!

She was THAT ugly?

A1

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
it is hilarious watching all the beemers and mercs completely stuck with their wheels spinning... while we pull out of a parking space on the same hill with a048s on, no wheelspin or anything
trikerneil

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
My Mondeo has been great in the snow - so far.
I was around Basingstoke the night the snow caused havoc, there were abandoned BMWs Mercs and Porsches all over the place.
I just chugged on through no probs.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

MK9R

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trikerneil
My Mondeo has been great in the snow - so far.
I was around Basingstoke the night the snow caused havoc, there were abandoned BMWs Mercs and Porsches all over the place.
I just chugged on through no probs.

Neil

Not blaming the mondeo, its the 3/4 worn kumho ecsta sports causing the lack of grip

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

DaveFJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
my civic is proving to be awful in the snow (probably something to do with 225 tyres )

but I was astonded the other day when i was forced to drive at the edge of the road through about 10" of the stuff because the bloke in a rangerover coming the other way refused to move across off the clear bit....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

cd.thomson

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
no point me making yet another snow related thread but is anybody cycling about still?

I've got a short 10 miles a day commute on my bike and I've just started again after my winter holiday.

I managed to get halfway up the hill into town with my legs going at 5000rpm before I started to go backwards

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
no point me making yet another snow related thread but is anybody cycling about still?

I've got a short 10 miles a day commute on my bike and I've just started again after my winter holiday.

I managed to get halfway up the hill into town with my legs going at 5000rpm before I started to go backwards

surely MB mud tyres are the thing to have. Last year I was using my racing bike in the snow which was ok except trying to stop, that was a bit hairy at points.

cd.thomson

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
its a racing bike im using now, slick tyres and all. Can't afford a mtb - I'm pretty sure this makes me a snow tw@t...

Craig

nick205

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

No one was crawling, simply keeping good pace @ 40mph on a snowy/icey, windy cross-country A road. The pen1s in case chose to overtake multiple cars at a go on straights, bends and hills - places you wouldn't overtake in good conditions.

Like a say a pen1s in my book

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's all about driving for the conditions. As has already been said, it's not a big deal driving in snow and ice, just common sense. I was tootling up a rather steep hill on the way to work about 20mph and steady, no throttle, no brakes, just pootling nicely. Mr Audi behind thought I was going too slow so decided to try and force me on a bit....soon dropped back when he started swinging left and right trying to get some grip, especially when their was a van coming the other way on a road that is only just 2-cars wide.

Once you lose traction that's it, so my theory is not to lose it in the first place. It still amazes me how many people think that they can burn away the snow and ice by revving the gits out of their cars!

Hey ho...

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

mcerd1

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
its a racing bike im using now, slick tyres and all. Can't afford a mtb - I'm pretty sure this makes me a snow tw@t...

what not even an old s/h steel framed lump ?
(I'm sure I could find you one if you where a bit closer)

-

cd.thomson

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
what not even an old s/h steel framed lump ?
(I'm sure I could find you one if you where a bit closer)

not when I could spend Ł50 on finishing the brakes off on the dax

[Edited on 11/1/10 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
It still amazes me how many people think that they can burn away the snow and ice by revving the gits out of their cars!

Hey ho...

Sounds like my dads approach which totally fails so far he’s not managed up his drive and blames the car but its just a normal FWD…it his driving that’s the problem and its his trailer that I borrowed at the weekend, then parked back where it was at the top of his drive

Like you say, just put down as much power as your grip can take and you'll keep going. This is where the fine control of an automatic gearbox comes into its own ;o)

Danozeman

posted on 11/1/10 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
There are some right nutters about in this weather. Iv had no problems at all in my bmw apart from lack of grip due to the 265's on the back. But slow and steady and i have no trouble.

The hill going into where i work people have abandoned cars at the bottom because they cant get up. Iv towed 3 van several vans up there with a fwd transit and not got stuck yet. As said dont let the driving wheels lose traction then your ok.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

segan2b

posted on 11/1/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wrong tyres?

DAN-MNR-ZX12R

posted on 11/1/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
My mercs toss in the snow, not helped by the fact that I cant turn my interfering traction controll or stbility control off compleatly.

As soon as I start to loose traction the car reduces the power to the wheels untill they stop spinning (which is wheels stopped compleatly) then the stability control assumes that if my back end is spinning I must be in a slide and applies the front brakes to compensate.

So to summeries the car stops the rear wheels from turning and puts the front brakes on and leaves me in the missuses corsa. ACE!!

stevebubs

posted on 11/1/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DAN-MNR-ZX12R
My mercs toss in the snow, not helped by the fact that I cant turn my interfering traction controll or stbility control off compleatly.

As soon as I start to loose traction the car reduces the power to the wheels untill they stop spinning (which is wheels stopped compleatly) then the stability control assumes that if my back end is spinning I must be in a slide and applies the front brakes to compensate.

So to summeries the car stops the rear wheels from turning and puts the front brakes on and leaves me in the missuses corsa. ACE!!

Try turning it off, perhaps?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.