Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Silencer
tashlotty

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Silencer

Hi,

just investigating exhaust options.

Some people have fitted bike cans, are these cars fitted with bike engines or car engines?

Just seen a can and wondered if a CBR900 can would suit a 1.8CVH?

cheers

Daz

Miks15

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
im going to be using an R1 can on my 1.6 engine
SPYDER

posted on 23/1/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Your choice could be limited by certain factors. Will the car need to pass IVA?
Does it need a catalytic convertor?
Many bike exhausts now include a CAT.
Will you be doing trackdays?
A race can will probably be too noisy. You may even struggle with a standard can.
I can't see any reason why a Blade can shouldn't work on a CVH engined car, subject to the above.
The power outputs are broadly similar.
We have a Titanium ZX9 standard can on our Phoenix trackday car.
Geoff.

MakeEverything

posted on 23/1/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Im hoping to use a pair of TL1000R blue flame titanium cans on mine that came off my crashed bike.
It will be very loud, and have removeable baffles.
The pipes are 2" all the way through, so the 2" can shouldnt see any unexpected pressure hikes, regardless of the 500CC per cylinder on the bike.

Is it a standard can? If so, im not sure how long it will last, as the car engine has a larger displacement and needs to displace more exhaust gases. You might find it causes you problems???

ETA: The engine in the kit car is 2.2 Renault turbo.

[Edited on 23/1/10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

tashlotty

posted on 23/1/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies,

no track days (as yet)
needs to pass IVA
Doesn't need a cat.

Just bought it off the bay of e, so I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thinking was its stainless, off a bike so all the radii are there.

Just need to get a manifold, run it and check the DB level.

cheers

Daz

BEN99W

posted on 23/1/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used to run a 4 1/2 inch diameter aftermarket carbon bike can on my zetec. It was pretty loud but but I never got it tested officially so can't give a decible rating. However I replaced it with a custom chrome system which had a6 inch can expoecting it to be more civilized and it was louder still!!
aitch

posted on 23/1/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
the blue flame titanium cans you have as with our bike cans are probably a big enough bore to allow the gasses to flow and escape without undue back pressure, and probbably more free flowing than the original exhaust fitted to the donor car.

they are likely to be noisey and may not pass iva.. but the engine pulsses with a turbo are broken down to some degree by the turbo and they can be suprisingly quiet,, so try the blue flame cans first and allow for possile change

the cans we supply for kit cars are not only a larger diameter than for bikes 6" instead of 4.5" they are usually also longer, up to 900mm rather than the max 450mm fitted to bikes. the bore of the can is usually larger too up from 2" standard on bikes to 2.5" or even 3" for the cars, although this reduces the amount of sound dedening packing it increases the perforated area and helps with silencing

aitch

[Edited on 23/1/10 by aitch]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pocket rocket

posted on 23/1/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
i have a standard R1 can on my 1.6 zetec se, iv not iva'd it yet so not sure about db level yet but if nothing else it looks nice

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

aitch

posted on 23/1/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
i have a standard R1 can on my 1.6 zetec se, iv not iva'd it yet so not sure about db level yet but if nothing else it looks nice

the standard R1 as with most cans are baffled so far quieter than race cans like ours or the blue flame

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.