Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to cut boron carbide?? (When all your tools are locked in the garage!!)
eznfrank

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
How to cut boron carbide?? (When all your tools are locked in the garage!!)

Every time I get some garage time nowadays there seems to be some rather annoying obstacle in my way. A few weeks ago it was some little effin' scrote who had broken into my shed and this morning............................my relatively expensive Boron Carbide Master padlock has seized!!!!!!!

There's no signs of physical damage to the lock (I had wondered if it had been tampered with) and it was in the same position it always is in.

The key did stick a little bit going in but didn't require excessive force but despite all manner of wiggling and WD40 and a small amount of heat it's not budging.

Any suggestions? I'm thinkming maybe a bit more heat? I probably can't cut it off even if I wanted to, all my tools are locked in the garage!!!!!!

Rang B&Q who said they will only let me return it with some form of proof of purchase, and I don't think I kept the receipt as it wasn't a part of the build!!!

If I have to cut it off what the hell do I use, it's supposedly the same as tank armour??

bilbo

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Is it frosty up your way this morning (it is here).
If so, perhaps it's frozen up on the inside? A squirt of de-icer perhaps?
Otherwise, you may need to call out a locksmith

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

adithorp

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it isn't just frozen? I had to warm several of the padlocks at work this morning to get them open.

If it is siezed, I've got through them in the past with a Dremel and the thin cutting discs. Not a lot of help if the dremel is in the shed...sorry.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

will121

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
try all ways to free it first, then what is it locked to, is it easier to cut/replace the lock bolt thingy its on than the padlock?
MikeCapon

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's just stuck or frozen up? Has the little scrote returned and superglued your padlock as he can't break in again?

I'd go to B+Q or similar and buy a cheap angry grinder if you can't get it unstuck. Cordless if you've no power to hand?

This worked for a mate recently when he lost the key for his bike's U lock.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's frozen, it's not that cold up here today and I have tried a bit of heat but to no avail. Will try some de-icer.

I did wonder about it being tampered with but there's no sign of any damage or glue residue or anything as far as I can see.

According to youtube the boron alloy ones can be cut through with 36" bolt cutters but mine is the hexagonal carbide one which is supposed to be more difficult.

[Edited on 30/1/10 by eznfrank]

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
The landlord of my local lost the keys to his bottle store and asked me to cut the lock off.

It was a huge Thatcham approved bike padlock. He said it cost £117.

Less than ten seconds with a 1mm slitting disc.

I drank the best 4 pints I've ever tasted that night.

Paul G

Bluemoon

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Are you sure it's just stuck or frozen up? Has the little scrote returned and superglued your padlock as he can't break in again?

I'd go to B+Q or similar and buy a cheap angry grinder if you can't get it unstuck. Cordless if you've no power to hand?

This worked for a mate recently when he lost the key for his bike's U lock.

And get a good replacement lock (one of the same if this turns out to be true), scrote might be being cleaver (superglue in the lock), getting you to remove the padlock with something he can break...

Dan

afj

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Boil the kettle

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

eznfrank

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've heated it up in stages so that it's just about too hot to hold without a glove and it's still not budging.

I think if I can cut it off easily I will be a bit p1ssed off!!

balidey

posted on 30/1/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
You will cut it off easily.
last night I went through a decent (£30) padlock with hardened shackle. I tried drilling the lock, even though a blunt drill bit went in easy I couldn't turn the mechanism. Then tried a hand hacksaw, which never marked the surface.
Then Mr Angry with a very worn down metal cutting disc. Went through in about 5 seconds.

I was amazed a normal cutting disc went through so easily. And I must add that it was MY padlock I was cutting.

Although none of that really helps if your grinder is in the shed.

[Edited on 30/1/10 by balidey]

balidey

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it now, before you do any cutting, get photos and maybe even a video of you trying to undo it. This will be good proof to send to the manufacturer. maybe the shop won't refund you but the maker might. Especially if you threaten to post on youtube how easy it is to cut through their locks
eznfrank

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's one of THESE, which now I look wa sless expensive than I thought, at least it says it has a lifetime guarantee.

Question is do I just cut it off or try call Master on Monday first, mind you, for that money I think I'll just cut it off and go buy a better one.

graememk

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
call the fire service and tell them you think you left a candle burning...

no no no no not do that, change of plan bad idea.

balidey

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
It can't be that hard, they managed to stamp the letters into the side of the shackle
snakebelly

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
how about one of these in case the scrote has superglued up the old one?
afj

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Try hitting with a hammer after a dose of wd40 might loosen something thats stuck

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

JoelP

posted on 30/1/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a grinder you can borrow if you need, trust me it takes about 10 secs. Theres not much can argue with a 0.8mm disc.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

will121

posted on 30/1/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
in a silly story, in the 80's i had to buy 12 extra security padlocks to secure RAF aircraft hangars, think they were £30 each then, with full covered clasps. when i handed them over to the Officer in charge first thing he said was 'bloody hell they look good, but what do we do when we loose the keys!'
eznfrank

posted on 30/1/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Update - 20 minutes with a hacksaw and I'm about half way through. My mate is coming over later with Mr Angry although I'm not sure I'll be able to get it in as it's quite tight.

Thanks for the offer JoelP, I'll see how we get on this aft and let you know.

Just bought something similar to THIS to stop anyone lifting the corners plus a new padlock to replace the old one.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Might have been worth trying some nail varnish remover/ acetone if you suspect someones been playing with superglue? Bit late now !
will121

posted on 30/1/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank

Just bought something similar to THIS to stop anyone lifting the corners plus a new padlock to replace the old one.

ive fitted some of those security type bolts to a metal garage door, only issue is the basic pressed steel door is liable to twisting so bolts didnt seem too secure, could be improved with a length of box section across the locks to stiffen up

[Edited on 30/1/10 by will121]

indykid

posted on 30/1/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Update - 20 minutes with a hacksaw and I'm about half way through. My mate is coming over later with Mr Angry although I'm not sure I'll be able to get it in as it's quite tight.

if you've got a grinder, i wouldn't worry about trying to cut the shackle, just go straight through the body, unless you mean you physically can't get the grinder to the padlock.

it's amazing how easy it is to grind through really hard stuff that you'd never be able to saw
tom

Confused but excited.

posted on 30/1/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
To stop your new locks gumming up, never oil them. The oil turns to gum with air borne dust. You should only ever lubricate lock mechanisms with graphite powder.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Canada EH!

posted on 30/1/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's too late now, but in future if you thing some one has put super glue in your lock your local hobby shop sells debonder. It's for us modellers who glue our fingers to the work. Softens the glue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.