Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DSLR camera
austin man

posted on 7/2/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
DSLR camera

Whats the best entry level DSLR?? can any one recommend a good place to buy. Main use will be at trackdays my current camera (none DSLR) only gives a 3 shot burst than you have to wait while it processes the images so potentially miss a lot of the action.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Staple balls

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Your best bet is going to somewhere like currys, spend ages playing with cameras to find ones you get on with, no matter how good a camera is, it'll be useless if you can't use it comfortably.

Then buy it online

rayward

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Nikon D40, really pleased with it

hth
Ray

Richard Quinn

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Slight hijack but I was thinking something similar yesterday. We were having a sort through some old photographs (the paper type... remember them?) and I had two SLRs (still have somewhere). One was a Fuji that used the advantix film and the other was an Olympus that used ordinary 35mm. Anyway, the photos were brilliant compared to my digital efforts. None of this shutter going 2 seconds after you press the release and a photo of empty track etc, really bright sharp images, crisp colours. What would I need to get digitally that would compete with this?
tegwin

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO... I would get a second hand body... theres loads floating around..

The Canon 350D or 400D are really good entry level cameras... I have the 400D and the results from it are pretty good...

Once you have your relativley cheap body, get yourself some decent glass.. Budget about £300-£600 on a decent stabilised telephoto for track days

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Canon or Nikon are both pretty much at the top of the tree, try both to see which you prefer.

DSLR's give similar performance to SLR's these days. Don't worry about megapixels unless you blow up prints to A4 and above. In many ways the fewer the better assuming the sensor stays the same size as the noise immunity is better and you don't get coloured spots all over your night scenes.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

spidersaurus

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

canon 450d is what I have, worked well taking photos in 2009 Singapore F1

"Image data is processed at 14 bits for Delivering a burst rate of 3.5 frames per second, the DIGIC III processor works with the image buffer to handle up to 53 JPEGs (6 in RAW) without interruption"

but I think 350D or 400D like tegwin mentioned should do plenty with a good lense

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

locoboy

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my 450d from 7dayshop.com and it was cheaper 12 months ago from them than you can buy it for from online retailers now.

I am saving up for a 70-200mm f2.8 L series glass.

The only drawback for me with mine is that it is a physically small body and i have big hands, in addition to that i sometimes feel let down by the relatively low is0 setting of 1600, it could do with 3200 as many others have for the kind of shooting i tend to do.

I have just bought a 50mm prime lens f1.8 so maybe that will allow a few more stops of light in so i may find the 1600iso bearable.

If you need anythng clarifying or any techincal input don be afraid to drop me a U2U and if i can help i will.
Colin

ATB
Locoboy

Wadders

posted on 7/2/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly entry level, but you can pick up a used canon 1dMk2 for a quarter of what they were new. This is a pro body, made from titanium and waterproof, built like a tank
9 frames/sec and fast accurate autofocus.
I started out with a canon 10d, but soon found the autofocus and frame speed lacking for action photography.
The 1d is in another league. however to get the best from one, you would need the L series lenses to go with it.
This can become seriously addictive, the contents of my camera bag, built up over a few years are now worth more than my car.

Al

Moorron

posted on 7/2/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
i entered this DSLR lark just before xmas when i bought a Sony Alpha 230 which is the entry model they make. I bought this because it was cheaper than the formentioned models and dont regret it. I got mine from Jessops as a package deal with a bag, 4 gig memory card and a UV filter (lens protector) and got on well with it right away.

Since then i bought a cheap tripod and Tamron 70-300 lens which allows me to get up close to distant object better.

The sony also has a handy diplay to help idiots like me understand what the numbers mean. Only downside to my sony is its grip which is better suited to smaller hands.

Go to jessops and try them out. ive created some lovely shots of my kitcar and think it was money well spent.

Andy

[Edited on 7/2/10 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/2/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon D90. My sons happy as larry with his. pluse it also does video as well.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

RickRick

posted on 7/2/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Another Vote for D90 i've just got one, with the kit 18-105 vr lens and the cheap 70-300, (which isn't that great) takes 4.5 pics/second i picked it with motorsports in mind, my first lame efforts are here www.flickr.com/photos/RickRick999 indoor rc car pics taken without flash as drivers didn't like it
skinned knuckles

posted on 7/2/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
cannon 450d then if you get the bug, eventually upgrade to the 5d mk2

lenses are another question

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 7/2/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
i've just got my canon 350d and sigma lens back from having the lens fixed and it has renewed my enthusiasm for DLSRs.

The lens is an 18-125 which is great as a walkaround. I tried out a 70-200L at Le Mans and the snaps were in a different league

Dave Ashurst

posted on 7/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively...

Look up the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ30.

It's a quality digital "almost SLR" with an astonishing Leica zoom lens - 35mm equivalent would be 35mm to 420mm zoom.

Although the lens is not interchangeable and the through the lens viewfinder is electronic. It's works like an SLR and is really pretty good - it might do what you want without breaking the bank.

On ebay secondhand they go for between £150 and £250 including bag and accessories such as wide angle and macro lens attachments.

This review is pretty interesting and educational too...

In depth review comparing it with Canon EOS 20D !

Edit: this is the direct link

Yes, I got one..

best
Dave

[Edited on 7/2/10 by Dave Ashurst]

whitestu

posted on 7/2/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
My only advice would be don't get a canon EOS 300D as it is dead easy to bend the pins on the CF card slot and wreck it [Guess how I know!]

Stu

Rob Bartley

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
Another Vote for D90 i've just got one, with the kit 18-105 vr lens and the cheap 70-300, (which isn't that great) takes 4.5 pics/second i picked it with motorsports in mind, my first lame efforts are here www.flickr.com/photos/RickRick999 indoor rc car pics taken without flash as drivers didn't like it

Another vote for the Nikon D90! The only thing with this great camera is that it isn't really a starter DSLR. It has many of the features that the higher priced pro range has, but without the pro price. Also,it isn't the cheapest camera around but is amazing!!

You wouldn't go wrong looking at any of the Canon / Nikon entry level DSLR's. On the Canon side try the 450D or the 500D, and on the Nikon side try the D3000 or D5000. All of these are great entry level DSLR's and are more than capable of taking fabulous pictures. You would also need a decent additional zoom lens as well up to around 300mm.

The only other advice is to go into Jessops and actually hold them all. Sometimes you will pick one up and it just feels all wrong or feels great and DON'T listen to everything they say in the shop, unless you get the bloke (or gal) who really knows their stuff! When I was looking before xmas, I went into a local Jessops to have a good hold of different cameras. I tried a couple of canons and asked the guy about trying the nikons and his reply was "I'm a canon man only and suggest you don't bother with the nikons. And I don't know much about them anyway!" Lost a potential sale there me boy!

And as Wadders mentioned it does get addictive (and blinkin expensive too!)

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Cheers, Rob

I WILL get out again!!

I have a little bit......need more......

MikeR

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
i've got a 450d and like it. The f50 1.8 is a great lens btw - although you may find you over use it when you first get it

go on camera price comparison (google it) and you can find the cheapest supplier of bits.

The plus for nikon is they come with a flash driver built in so you can fire a remote flash. Cannons need either a cheap flash driver that just sends a signal to say "fire", a long cable or an expensive 580ex flash (300 plus quid) but it will say fire just like this for ideal exposure.

If the 450d is too small (and it is small) ask to try one with a additional battery pack (BG-EX5). I keep meaning to buy one as its supposed to bulk up the camera. If you have large hands try the nikon D80 (maybe the d90 is the same size, i don't know). You'll then have a REAL dilemma on what camera to get

I picked canon based on the fact they're more popular so there are more second hand bits + more bits made for them. From my experience don't believe their is a 'right' choice, you just pick what you think is the best and hope you got it right.

pajsh

posted on 8/2/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your budget but "bang for buck" my Lumix FZ-28 (now discontinued and replaced by a better model) gives me pretty solid results no matter what the subject and was only £250. (See FZ-30 post mentioned above). The lens struggles a bit at larger venues but pick your spot and with decent light you can normally some good shots.

More than happy with what I get for the money.

See my photos on Flickr

HERE

My favourite motorsport pics are on page 4.

Not as good as my mates Canon but then he spent £4k and he has a ruck sack I carry mine round my neck.

[Edited on 8/2/10 by pajsh]

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.