Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 ignition problem?
GregMcN

posted on 13/2/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
R1 ignition problem?

Problem with no spark on one plug on my 2003 5PW. Have checked plug, coil, and wiring between ecu and coils. Also no diagnostic codes showing.
My conclusion is that it has to be the ecu but seems strange only affecting 1 plug?
Any other ideas or anyone seen a similar problem?

Thanks Greg

adithorp

posted on 13/2/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried swaping the coil with another cylinder? Is the missing spark still on the same cylinder?

Can you test fire the coils individually via the dash diagnostics like you can on the '04 onward R1's? If you can does that cylinders coil fail to spark?

If so and the wiring between the coil and ECU is good then it's probably the coil driver for that cylinder in the ECU thats failed. Rotax78 from here had the same thing happen to his 05R1. Resulted in a new ECU... sorry.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

GregMcN

posted on 14/2/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Adrian

I have swapped coils round and always the same cylinder so looks like I will have to find a replacement ecu. My only doubt is that one of te coil wires has been replaced on this cylinder but continuity seems fine so I can oly assume the problem has been intermittent but will still need the ecu.

Greg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.