Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My project -- Ford 351w V8
Winston

posted on 27/4/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
My project -- Ford 351w V8

I'm happy to be joining the ranks of loonies that are outfitting their locost with a big, cast-iron V8!

My particular engine is a '70 351w from a '70 Mercury Cougar that I own (it is rusty beyond saving). It will be fitted with an EFI system from a '95 Ford van, and will be controlled using MegaSquirt. I'm still trying to find a transmission that I can afford and that will hold the 351's torque (esp. once worked over). Unfortunately, the Cougar came with an auto box. Rear axle will be the stock Ford 9" from the Cougar, currently 3.08 open but eventually with a limited slip diff.

So basically, ole Colin will be rolling in his grave over this beast

Website to follow when I get the chance (and get some more material).

-Winston

Deckman001

posted on 27/4/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, sounds like you'll need it !!

Jason

Winston

posted on 27/4/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I belive that I'll become quite familiar with "throttle oversteer"... if it steers at all with that lump in front.

-Winston

Deckman001

posted on 27/4/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes !!
Good luck tho, havn't seen one of those lumps in a 'book' locost, think you'll have to widen the engine bay a bit

Jason

Winston

posted on 27/4/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Aww, it'll fit

Seriously, "timf" mentioned that Jim McSorley made up some plans for his Chevy 350 build. I'm hoping to get the same set of plans from Mr. McSorley.

-Winston

derf

posted on 27/4/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Shoot anything will fit, you might have a real high CG, and the engine will occupy the same space as the windsheild, but It'll fit. Seriously though just get a big shoehorn.
Dale

posted on 28/4/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
To suit the extra weight of the 2.3l lima (450lb) (and width due to the turbo) my build has a longer wheelbase in order to have the weight balance better. It will not be as nimble to say the least but it will be more controlable (I hope) due to the lwb.

Dale

Winston

posted on 28/4/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
LWB is a good idea. We'll see what Mr. McSorley's plans specify once I get them. How much longer is your wheelbase, Dale?

-Winston

NS Dev

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
big weight difference between the Lima and the 351!!!!

The 351 is 60 degree V though isn't it? so it should be no wider than the Rover really.

Simon

posted on 28/4/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Winston,

Believe the saying goes - "Drop anything from high enough, and it'll fit!!"

Good luck and look forward to seeing the website pics!!

ATB

Simon

crbrlfrost

posted on 29/4/04 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
afraid not, almost any american OHV V8 is a 90deg V8. You can lose some height by going with the 302, but if you can fit the cubes, more power to ya! Cheers!
pbura

posted on 29/4/04 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to see the 'small and light' police haven't ganged up on you

What's your target weight, 1800 lbs.? That's still pretty light compared to these 3400 lb. Nissans and so forth. Ought to go like a bat!

Have fun,

Pete

Pete

Winston

posted on 29/4/04 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Haha, I'm a fan of 'small and light' as well. I just REALLY want something with a big V8 in it. I figure that I can have that with this car, then when I can afford a used Elise in a few years I'll have the small and light sports car as well.

1700-1800 lbs is what I'm aiming for. I have plans to help this machine handle almost as well as it accelerates. While 1800 lbs sounds portly for a locost, it's actually quite dainty as far as high-power sports cars go. The Federal Elise will weigh in at 2000 lbs, and I hope to have 100 more horsepower and more than double the torque after modifications. I think that "goes like stink" complements "impeccable handling" quite nicely

-Winston

Bigfoot

posted on 29/4/04 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have built several vehicles with even heavier engines (up to 454ci Chev) and they were still relatively light. As you quite rightly say, 1700lbs is still quite dainty for a high powered sportser. My present build using an RV8 is a feather weight by my usual standards.

If I was using a bike engine or small four cylinder car lump, weight would be an issue, but I'm not. There is no reason that your 351w project couldn't be made to handle well, and a good big engine will always be more fun than a good little engine.

Good luck.
Bigfoot

Winston

posted on 4/5/04 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've put up a bare-bones website for my locost project, dubbed the "Invictus." The permanent domain will be www.v8roadster.com but until the domain name resolves you can find it at

http://host179.ipowerweb.com/~v8roadst/index.html

Comments (e.g. "You'll kill yourself," "You idiot, that's not how the wires are supposed to go," etc.) are always welcome. Keep in mind that I have almost zero html skills, and that I'm relying heavily on the template that my host provides for free. I'll try and make it all cool and pretty, but my main focus is the actual car!

-Winston

Dale

posted on 4/5/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a wheel base of aprox 105 inches and kept the track if I remember right 61inches. So long and low (extreamly long wb for a sevenish car). I have the body style of the marlin sportster with the chassis sytle of the seven(beefed up[).. In front of the engine I have around a foot of space for possibly a clutch fan rad and intercooler. Even with the lwb and 5 inches of crush zone at the rear the total length of car I think is around 142 inches as the car has no overhang on the front of the wheel.
Dale

mackie

posted on 5/5/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hehe, your donor looks a bit wonky.
Good luck with getting that engine running, it's a monster!
We too are building a V8 locost but using a Rover V8 (a weedy 3.5 litres )
Check :
http://www.ma.ckie.org/gallery/locost
and
http://www.leetfighter.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=locostbuild
For fun and games.

derf

posted on 5/5/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Maybee it's just me but even if you tip the scales at 1900 lbs it's still light, and with such a low CG you should have no problems with handling whatsoever, except maybe a bit of throttle oversteer.

I used to drag race an 81 RX7 with a 351 clevland bolted in, I had the interior completly stripped down to bare metal, cut out all non esential metal, used the lightest parts I could find, and I gave up my quest for free horse power at 2067 lbs, down from 2995 full interior and V8. At a haie under 2000 the thing would go like a bat out of hell, kicking arse and taking names all day, I also achieved a best trap speed of 9.659 with it (non-stock engine) in the quarter.

2000 lbs is light by automobile standards, especially when these engines are designed for cars that weigh 3000 lbs or more

Winston

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
My donor is a bit wonky-looking in that pic because both tires on that one side are flat. No matter, it's getting scrapped anyway! Thanks for the link, I love reading others' builds -- especially V8 cars!

derf, thanks for the vote of confidence. I think this beast will handle a lot better than many expect.

I am really debating on whether to keep the massive, overkill Ford 9" rear that I already own, or sell it in favor of an 8.8" or 7.5." I don't think that I could destroy any axle made for a V8, simply for lack of traction. However, I think that the car's balance might benefit from a heavy axle in the rear. My father-in-law has told me tales of how he and his friends would put cinder blocks and pieces of railroad ties in the trunks (boots ) of their Mustangs to keep weight on the rear axle. He says it improved power-on handling immensely. The downside is all of that unsprung weight...

-Winston

Dale

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
7.5 inch rear from a bronco2 lsd and 4.11 if the 5 bolt wheels line up.??
Dale

mackie

posted on 5/5/04 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind that your arse is pretty much right over the rear axle and an average bloke is going to weight quite a lot to that keeps things a bit more balanced.
If you do use a big iron V8 then just make sure all the mounts are really strong and that you keep it as far back as possible in the chassis.

PS. Check this out: http://www.leetfighter.com/~jon/v8%20run%20big.avi
(divx codec needed)

[Edited on 5/5/04 by mackie]

Winston

posted on 5/5/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
7.5 inch rear from a bronco2 lsd and 4.11 if the 5 bolt wheels line up.??
Dale

What years? All 4x4 models?

-Winston

Winston

posted on 5/5/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackie
Bear in mind that your arse is pretty much right over the rear axle and an average bloke is going to weight quite a lot to that keeps things a bit more balanced.

I'm only 135 lbs (61 kg), so I'm not very good ballast! Now the Mrs. on the other hand ONLY KIDDING DEAR! She's a bit self conscious at the moment, as we're about 10 weeks pregnant! Good thing she doesn't hang around in here!!!

I'll have to view the video at home, work has some sort of codec blocker... bastards. They expect us to work or something.

-Winston

Dale

posted on 5/5/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think all of them were lsd but not sure which ones were 4.11 I am sure the info is out there. There are a couple in the local scrappy near me and I intend on getting the gear pod out of one as it is suposed to drop right into the 7.5 tbird rearend that i have 3.08 but not lsd.
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.