Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lag free turbo's - or not!!!
Ivan

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Lag free turbo's - or not!!!

Just reading this http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111469/article.html and the bit at the end about the Turb0dyne turbo got me thinking - what a brilliant idea - you could fit an oversized turbo and still get lag free boost at low revs or during closed throttle so that you had instant boost when the throttle opened and at full boost use the electric generation aspect to act as a wastegate and not even need the drag of an alternator.

The best of both worlds - or is it????

Any thoughts on how feasible this is.

blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
lol. one word, no

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Steve G

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
lol. one word, no

another word - "crap"

MakeEverything

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure any turbo can defeat the laws of Physics!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
quote:
lol. one word, no

another word - "crap"

good word!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 21/2/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=128403

Steve G

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
quote:
lol. one word, no

another word - "crap"

good word!

Thank you Blake - its a particular favourite of mine and one much used at the moment (i'm a Liverpool fan!!)

tomprescott

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
All those silly car manufacturers using twin turbos or supercharger and turbo combinations to reduce turbo lag have been wasting their time!
MakeEverything

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
All those silly car manufacturers using twin turbos or supercharger and turbo combinations to reduce turbo lag have been wasting their time!

Not at all.
The question was around a particular piece of kit that claimed to be 'Lag Free'???

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Simon

posted on 22/2/10 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Not at all.
The question was around a particular piece of kit that claimed to be 'Lag Free'???

To produce (via belt driven blower) say an extra 50bhp which is 37000w, you'll need a pretty impressive motor - compare 37000 with the 800 in a drill. Then tell me you'll get it in a turbo, along with the inch thick wiring, and the slightly heavy duty battery, or are you going to put a wind turbine on the roof of your car.

Let me save you the aggro - here's a 37kw motor

If you're that convinced, their share price is currently $0.009 (less than a cent) and might be worth a punt (or a euro!

ATB

Simon

Ivan

posted on 22/2/10 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I basically agree with you all, but still, an intriguing idea as, with a closed throttle, the turbo is basically free wheeling and will only need enough power to keep it spinning so might well work. However I am not too sure what forces one is dealing with nor the speed with which a turbo spools down in a closed throttle situation given a good dump valve which given the momentum of the spinning parts and rate of deceleration would give you a good idea of the power needed to keep it spinning.

Don't know how much power will be needed but will certainly be a lot less than that required to actually make boost, which is of course significant, and could not be practically provided by an electric drive.

Of course their web site which is high on selling penny shares and low on technical backup gives a hint as to how effective their products are by the very dearth of information.

[Edited on 22/2/10 by Ivan]

MikeRJ

posted on 22/2/10 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
To produce (via belt driven blower) say an extra 50bhp which is 37000w, you'll need a pretty impressive motor - compare 37000 with the 800 in a drill. Then tell me you'll get it in a turbo, along with the inch thick wiring, and the slightly heavy duty battery, or are you going to put a wind turbine on the roof of your car.

Producing an extra 50bhp via a supercharger does not "cost" 50bhp! The point still stands however, they do absorb a significant amount of power.

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 22/2/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's such a stupid idea.

The idea (I gather) is to generate electricity when at high boost, controlled such that it can be used to limit the boost provided by the turbo, thus eliminating the need for a wastegate.

Let's say this energy (not insignificant over several seconds of boost-limiting) gets stored in a super-capacitor (which can dump it's coulombs very quickly), you could write an algorithm which feeds all of this energy (or a portion of it) in a split-second burst at the moment your foot touches the accelerator or pushes the accelerator past a pre-determined travel, then, provided the elecric motor can take the energy spike, a turning force large enough to "spool up" the turbo can be imparted, therefore giving the turbo a useful "kick-start".

I totally agree that a sustained use of the motor (trying to run the turbo solely using the motor) is not practical or realistic.

It would be an interesting concept to play with...

Chris

Edit:
As I stirred my 4th coffee of the day, I thought of another clarification;

We must note that the electric motor will not be working on its own to spin up the turbo, it will just be an additional input on top of the normal exhaust-driven turbine, which will be doing its own job.

(Work done by turbine) + (Work done by motor) > (Work done by turbine)

Therefore, there will theoretically be some advantage to all of this...

[Edited on 22/2/2010 by iti_uk]

[Edited on 22/2/2010 by iti_uk]

yellow melos

posted on 22/2/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
An electric fan in the intake duct has been proven to work ( when tested on a K jetronic fuel injection system.

but the increase was about 2HP and only under certain speeds.. at higher revs the fan block the air flow.

in principle.. yes....

in real life... just not gonna work..

unless you have a very hi flow fan that can actually force the air through.... and be able to by pass the fan at certain air flow ratio's.....

but the problem is that the current drown by that kind of fan and the size of fan you need... and on and on it goes...

deezee

posted on 22/2/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellow melos
An electric fan in the intake duct has been proven to work

Do you have a link to this? In all the years I've seen the 'electric turbo' I've never seen an independent company verify the claims

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 22/2/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
My current pet dream project is to use two turbos bolted together to produce boost irrespective of engine revs.
The first, smaller turbo would actually be a miniature GTE (by fabricating the combustion chamber, quite a common thing). The exhaust gas would drive a bigger turbo to create boost.
Very fuel inefficient and I havn't even looked at the ratios required, as it depends on the small turbo creating enough hot gas to drive the large one without back pressure becoming a problem.
Complex but could be worth a laugh

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

deezee

posted on 22/2/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you have a normal twin turbo setup? Where one provides low down boost and the other higher rev boost?

Or a supercharger?

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 22/2/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellow melos
An electric fan in the intake duct has been proven to work ( when tested on a K jetronic fuel injection system.

but the increase was about 2HP and only under certain speeds.. at higher revs the fan block the air flow.

in principle.. yes....

in real life... just not gonna work..

unless you have a very hi flow fan that can actually force the air through.... and be able to by pass the fan at certain air flow ratio's.....

but the problem is that the current drown by that kind of fan and the size of fan you need... and on and on it goes...

Are you barking up the wrong tree, or did we read different articles? The one I saw was a conventional turbo but with an electric motor/generator between the turbine and compressor... ?!?

Chris

boggle

posted on 22/2/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
save yourself agro and buy an anti lag setup....

posotive boost when on the line and some flame spitting out the exhaust.....let the clutch up and get ready for some tunnell vision.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Ivan

posted on 22/2/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ but very fuel inefficient and in so many audible ways anti social
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 22/2/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
...and illegal at most track-days. And probably not approved by the DVLA people.

Chris

djtom

posted on 22/2/10 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
My current pet dream project is to use two turbos bolted together to produce boost irrespective of engine revs.
The first, smaller turbo would actually be a miniature GTE (by fabricating the combustion chamber, quite a common thing). The exhaust gas would drive a bigger turbo to create boost.

This has been done in a very successful hillclimb car belonging to Nic Mann. It uses a small auxiliary gas turbine driving a turbocharger. Constant 25psi boost irrespective of engine revs. See here:
http://raceenginedesign.biz/Manic-Beattie.htm

A very ingenious piece of backyard engineering!

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.