Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: waxing my chassis?
mrwibble

posted on 6/3/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
waxing my chassis?

this weekend i'm going to give the whole fury chassis a good clean, as it has a good layer of muck and salt from its journey up north. its powder coated and i believe there is no open sections into which i could get water, so i was going wash with car shampoo, rinse with the hose and then apply some wax to help protect it. has anybody had any problems when sealing their panels after using wax/other products.

thanks in advance

scootz

posted on 6/3/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi MrWibble... I assume you mean a standard car wax product?

My thought are that if you're getting stuck into the chassis and there are no flakes or pits, then it's well worth giving it the full Waxoyl treatment. Offers a far better level of protection and is just as easily applied.

It's Evolution Baby!

mrwibble

posted on 6/3/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
thanks scootz, yes i was just thinking to wax the outside really. i was under the impression waxoyl was injected with a compressor and nossle ( which i dont have) into any holes in the chassis. was just thinking to wax the hole thing with turtle wax etc. wouldn't waxoyl on powder coat just make a sticky chassis?

[Edited on 6/3/10 by mrwibble]

wilkingj

posted on 6/3/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using waxoyl externally, then just paint on neat with a paintbrush.

Put down a cheap polytarp as it usually drips / goes everywhere.

If doing the internals of the chassis, then yes.. use a compressor and a wax gun (NOT a Schultz gun) but the proper wax gun with the thin 1.5 metre pipe that you can feed into the chassis thru a small hole.

This is the sort of thing I mean. Looks like a Schultz gun but ISNT one!
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-7280-waxoyl-rust-inhibitor-gun-w120-4-wands.aspx
I paid about £30 for mine from the chaps who have the large tool stands inside at Stoneleigh.
Look for the thin pipes with the guns, to make sure you get the correct one.
The pipes and ends are the same in in the picture in the link above.

EDIT:
There is no reason why you cant use a Schultz gun. These are for spraying underseal or stone chip onto large areas / panels.
However with a locost type car, a paintbrush is much better for the external application. As a Schultz Gun will put it everywhere! (and I MEAN everywhere)

[Edited on 6/3/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 6/3/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
if you do decide to inject the cavities then make sure there's two holes in every tube so that pressure won't build up inside and give you a face full of wax, like it did with me !!
mrwibble

posted on 7/3/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HAL 1
if you do decide to inject the cavities then make sure there's two holes in every tube so that pressure won't build up inside and give you a face full of wax, like it did with me !!

lol. ok thanks guys.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.