Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corsa's in general
RichardK

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Corsa's in general

My lads got about £500 to spend on his first little car (he's 17 in April), he would like a corsa c but realistically is in corsa B price bracket.

There is a lass at work that's just got a company car and maybe selling her corsa B, low mileage 28K R reg.

Anything I should be specifically looking for?

I understand the B's have a timing chain where as the C's have a belt and need it changing fairly regularly (not sure what interval though) and the B's need the tensioner doing if it rattling.

If any body knows of a nice one up for sale, don't mind doing a bit of work if it a fairly easy damage/repairable.

Closer the better to upt norf.

Thanks gang

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a few (fixed a couple too) with the crank seal gone.

Check underneath by the bellhousing vent slot.

No biggie (£20 seal) but the motor needs lifting out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

RichardK

posted on 15/3/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Was B or C's?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
just dont get the 3 cylinder one, what a ghastly excuse for an engine.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stevec

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
My 17 yr old lad has just got a 1999 1.0ltr Corsa. Very good nick. 12 moths MOT and 6 mths tax. Paid £625 for it. The only thing he winges about is the heavy steering so if you can get one with PAS then that would help, I have told my lad it will do his arms good
Good little cars I reckon.

Steve.

adithorp

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's the Corsa C that has the timing chain issue. Tensioner fails and the rattle, eventually jumping teeth on the cams. The 3 pot engine is just poo.

On the B's check the chassis leg under the drivers footwell. The early ones corroded there although later ones seemed to be better. Front brake pipes corrode in the corners of the engine bay. Expect the handbrake cables to be frayed. All fixable though.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Most corsa B's have belts. Only the 3 cylinder have chains. The later corsa C's have 3 cylinder 1litres which have chains aslo a 1.2 which has a chain. I doubt you will find a good C for 500 quid. More like a average B for that price. Have you considered a starlet or polo?

Rob

coozer

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had one from new and within 10 years the front chassis rails had dissapeared enough to render the car scrap...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fesycresy

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think the three cylinder engine is made by Isuzu.

I had to strip one and found a score in the bore, the parts were mega expensive, so I ended up getting a scrappy motor for the job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

alistairolsen

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
its neither the B or C that has chains, surprise surprise its the ones with specific engines

1.0 12v and 1.2 16v both have chains,all the rest are belts afaik.

Personally the 1.6 16v is ok, 1.4 8v or 16v is better.

Parts are cheap, handbrake cables and rear shoes always seem to need done but once done right are fine. Watch out for general corrosion, cracking of the B pillars on early models (horrible complex curve) and the usual shunts and odd panel gaps as they are learner specials!

My Build Thread

morcus

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've driven examples of all 3 corsas and never liked them, the Mk2 was about passable but the first and current models were awful.

I reckon £500 quid would be better spent on a Fiesta, 205, Punto or R5. Everyone else seems to want Corsas (Snap for Saxos) which puts the prices up.

Best reckomendation I'd give is to look at whats close by for £500 quid, filter out everything thats uninsurable and that you don't like the look of then try and see as many of whats left as possible and make your decission based on that.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jacko

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
My Wife has a corsa B 1L 12v we have had it for about 6 years it has never mist a beet
regular services etc
Jacko

mookaloid

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
don't you remember the top gear verdict on this?

Get him a Volvo Estate

(but don't tell him i said so )

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RichardK

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
don't you remember the top gear verdict on this?

Get him a Volvo Estate

(but don't tell him i said so )

Too late, just dobbed you in

cjtheman

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i think your money would be better off spent on a vw polo
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Service history is all with these ---- regular oil changes with good quality fully synthetic are about the only way to avoid top end trouble. They also rust something awful.

Might be worth looking for a Rover 25 or 200 easy and cheap to fix.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ReMan

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
We,ve been happy with the Corsa we bought. the cambelt is easy and cheap enough to do anyway, it's the waterpump that's the hard bit
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=112982
Just make sure you get a resonable and unmolested one as they do vary considerably

tomprescott

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'll soon be selling my 106 1.1, looking for around £750 but would let it go for less to a locoster, maybe a bit too far down south for you though? Let me know if your interested!

A bird in the hand....

ashg

posted on 15/3/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.2 corsa B about 10 years ago when i was 17. being 17 and stupid with very few speed cameras about i ragged it everywhere to within an inch of its life. if i wasnt hitting the rev limiter in 1st,2nd and 3rd i didnt think i was doing it right.

in the two years i had it, no matter how many corners i threw it around sideways or any number of handbrake turns and how ever much i thrashed the weedy little engine i couldnt break it for love nor money

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

se7en

posted on 16/3/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
My missus now owns my daughters old 99 corsa 1.2 16v. It is just OK as a car; it wouldn't be my choice of car.

As previously said, you need to keep an eye on the rear brakes, rear hubs and wheel bearings. The engine crank sensor and the idle control valve also go frequently.

Other than servicing at the correct time & the minor parts above, they do not give a lot of trouble.

IMHO I would put my money into a VW Polo or Mk2 or 3 Golf with the smallest size of engine.

Hope this helps
Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.