Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Decent Broadband ISP for Webhosting (UK)
Hellfire

posted on 3/5/04 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Decent Broadband ISP for Webhosting (UK)

Living out in the sticks has it's drawbacks... the only broadband I can have, goes through BT lines. Currently I am on Freekserve/Wankadoo but looking to change very soon, due to the recent very poor service from Wankadoo.

Does anyone have experiences (specifically webhosting) of good; or bad; Internet Server Providers - through BT lines please.

Let's out the bad providers - and praise the good!

zilspeed

posted on 3/5/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Living out in the sticks has it's drawbacks... the only broadband I can have, goes through BT lines. Currently I am on Freekserve/Wankadoo but looking to change very soon, due to the recent very poor service from Wankadoo.

Does anyone have experiences (specifically webhosting) of good; or bad; Internet Server Providers - through BT lines please.

Let's out the bad providers - and praise the good!

Since moving to a BT only area - previously 2mb cable connection, boohoo - I went for the no brainer option - BT lines plus BT broadband. No problems to be honest. My connection is 'managed' by my broadband router and I've had to reboot it twice in 6 months, the rest of the time it just works.
Web space - couldn't honestly say, I don't have much of a website to speak of.

keithchristie

posted on 3/5/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Decent Broadband ISP for Webhosting (UK)

I'm with Pipex.

www.pipex.co.uk

They've been around for years and are very reliable. (I'm also in the sticks)

A 512Mb connnection is only £23.44 a month. This includes 50Mb of webspace.

Cheers.

Jasper

posted on 3/5/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've been with BT for 2 years at my shop, and though I hate BT and the installation was a nightmare, since then it has been 100% reliable and fast.

Just signed up with Tiscali at my new home as it's only £24.99 for a 1/2 meg line, I'll let you know how it goes!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/5/04 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
second for pipex

fantastic service profesional and cheap

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Peteff

posted on 3/5/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I use f2s.

Freedom2surf 512 service but they do run higher bandwidth services through BT lines. http://www.freedom2surf.net/
I haven't had any problems with them and the only drawback is their helpline(local rate) is only open in office hours. I pay £22.99 a month but they do a couple of cheaper cutdown packages.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thebutler

posted on 3/5/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Third for Pipex. Been with them for over two years, and never had any trouble. Also quite cheap with free connection.

Cheers,

Steve

ChrisW

posted on 3/5/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - what was wrong with the hosting I set up for you??

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 4/5/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
ChrisW - as my hard drive went to the large hard drive graveyard in the sky. I emailed you some time ago (September) last year IIRC asking you about the settings. As they were on our old ID MKGoldrush, I think things got a little confused and in the end I didn't want to cause you any trouble. Whilst I had just set up a new ISDN line with Freeserve I thought I'd use that instead. To be honest I'd rather host online with LB (no ads!!) but IIRC the maximum space allocated is 2MB. We're currently upto 9MB and there is probably another 1Mb to go before it's complete.

Also, at the time the ftp setup and info. part of this website was not operational, so I could not find out any information for myself.

I'd love to host all the website on LB - would I be allowed 10MB or possibly slightly more?

ChrisW

posted on 5/5/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You can have whatever space you want, within reason! Email me and we'll sort it out.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 5/5/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thebutler
Third for Pipex. Been with them for over two years, and never had any trouble. Also quite cheap with free connection.

Cheers,

Steve

Fourth for Pipex. Very good. Used them for 14 months, the only issues I've had are with the BT line screwing up, so they turned the gain up and all was well.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Scotty

posted on 5/5/04 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
fifth for pipex
excellent, been with them for 8-9 years from dial-up to broadband, no probs.
recommend them to customers and no-ones been in and thumped me .... yet

SparkyPups

posted on 5/5/04 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'll stand up and add support for pipex as well.

The alternative I would give would be nildram

britishtrident

posted on 5/5/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
BTOpenworld is now BT Yahoo --- really bad news the service is gradually becoming an AOL look a like very naff and increasingly non standard internet and very big brother.
BT also do a cut price basic service which dosen't even give you a mail box.

BT news and more importantly mail servers continue to be unreliable and over stretched.

The problem with going to a non BT ISP is that if anything does go wrong with the ADSL side it can take along time to convince your ISP that they need to get a BT engineer to look at the problem because your ISP will have to pay BT if no BT fault is found.

Having said that I have been very very impressed with ZEN internet on some of my clients networks --- you can get up to 8 fixed IP addresses at no extra charge

Tiscalli also has a following.

[Edited on 5/5/04 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.