Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance Terminology Question
carnut

posted on 24/3/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance Terminology Question

Hi,

I've been told I need to send my insurance certificate back to my insurer to cancel my policy. I have no documentation that says it is an insurance certificate on it but I have a "statement of Fact". Is this an insurance certificate?

Carnut

austin man

posted on 24/3/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
you should have one which states certificate of motor insurance on it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

rsmith95uk

posted on 24/3/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Think this is what is commonly called a cover note.

Cheers
Ray

mad4x4

posted on 24/3/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cover note is usually a slang term for the Temporary Note issue before the real certificate is issued

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

carnut

posted on 24/3/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any chance of cancelling my insurance and getting a refund for the remaining term without a certificate when they state you need one?
plentywahalla

posted on 24/3/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I know some companies do not issue certificates anymore unless you ask for one.

You no longer need one to tax a vehicle as DVLA know whether a policy is valid, so they save some money that way.

I have had to ask for one to take the car abroad etc.

Dangle_kt

posted on 24/3/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
its a stalling tactic to reduce the amount they have to pay back in my experience.
MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
I know some companies do not issue certificates anymore unless you ask for one.

You no longer need one to tax a vehicle as DVLA know whether a policy is valid, so they save some money that way.

Some companies will email you one to print yourself, but I've never heard of one that deosn't issue any kind of certificate, as it is your proof of insurance. The database is far from foolproof.

You also need a certificate if your car is not eligable for taxing online, e.g. if it's been of the road for a while.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
its a stalling tactic to reduce the amount they have to pay back in my experience.

It's to try and stop the common scam of buying insurance and then cancelling it just to get a certificate of insurance to satisy the plod if you get stopped.

owelly

posted on 25/3/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ask them for a copy of the cert, and then send it back them..........
When I cancelled my policy with AF they wanted the cert which I couldn't find. They asked me to write a letter declaring that I'd lost the cert and wanted to cancel the policy. Then they sent me one of their 'I've lost my certificate but want to cancel my policy' forms.

Strangely enough, none of the post offices around here will accept an insurance certificate that has been printed. They ALL insist on one with a proper signature. I've tried explaining that they send the cert 'electronically' and then you print ti off yourself but obviously such technology hasn't reach the grey-haired, zip-up furry boot wearing Hitlerites in this area......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
plentywahalla

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
".......Some companies will email you one to print yourself, but I've never heard of one that deosn't issue any kind of certificate, as it is your proof of insurance. The database is far from foolproof"

Thats what I mean't. I didn't mean that a certificate didn't exist just that you have to apply for it as it is not necessary to physically hold one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.