Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DURATEC BUILD
steveyb

posted on 26/3/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
DURATEC BUILD

Duratec Build

I just got myself a 2.0 duratec engine, bought from Stuart_B on here as he couldn’t get insured on a 2.0 engine.

I started working on it last nite to get a frame made to hold the engine so I could fit everything to it and get it running before fitting it. Nearly have the two engine mounts made, so should get them finished this evening.

If any one had seen the build stuart had started I will be picking up from where he left off. I have the GSXR 750 throttle bodies and duratec to v6 t9 bell housing.
I’ve been following flak_monkey’s build as that’s the route I plan to go down in a year or so. I am going to keep it standard for now until I can gather up the money to super charge it.

I have a few questions for any one who knows their stuff on engine management?
What would be the best system to go with from the start that will allow me fit a supercharger in the future?

Also what do I need to operate the clutch with the v6 duratec to t9 bell housing?
What release bearing, what clutch and pressure plate (I have the st150 flywheel)

Thanks
Steve

flak monkey

posted on 26/3/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have spoken to a few very knowledgeable rolling road guys and the guys at raceline in the last couple of weeks, all have been very helpful and all recommend the OMEX ECU if supercharging. There have been several supercharged duratecs built on OMEX and all the rolling roads will tune them.

The downside to megasquirt is virtually no rolling road will touch them.

I am going to see how I get on with MS on the duratec this year, and maybe make the switch to OMEX next year if I have lots of problems.

For the clutch you just need a ford mondeo slave cylinder from a v6. You may also need a spacer, be sure to carefully measure the stroke of the cylinder though. Thats assuming you are using a curved finger clutch plate. If its flat then you may have to go down the road I did with a saab cylinder and adaptor.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

goaty

posted on 26/3/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
do you know how much travel the mondeo cylinders have? and what spacer would be needed??? will be looking at that soon.

ps good to see the engien will get finished off, just try to stick to budget, mine has gone wild...

steveyb

posted on 26/3/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks david will be a while before i get to the stage of the clutch yet but good to know whats ahead,

i was looking at the omex system, a friend of a friend is putting in a rolling road so i will prob use it for setting up the engine. is omex user friendly and come with a pre set map for your engine? i was also looking at DTA as thats what most rally men use over here in ireland so plenty of ones should know how to set them up. i think the cost of both is pretty simlar anyway.
what all would i need to run it?
can i use the trigger wheel currently on the duratec with the standard cps?
also can i use the std duratec coil pack?
will i need the edis4 from a zetec set up?

thanks

steveyb

posted on 26/3/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goaty
do you know how much travel the mondeo cylinders have? and what spacer would be needed??? will be looking at that soon.

ps good to see the engien will get finished off, just try to stick to budget, mine has gone wild...

a budget on a project is easy to calculate..
think up what it will cost you for eveything then double it..!!!

goaty

posted on 26/3/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
lol, have to agree,
all the best

FASTdan

posted on 27/3/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Good to hear Stu's set up has gone to a good home (someone on here).

Good luck with the build Should be starting ours in the next couple of days

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steveyb

posted on 29/3/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
thinking of going for an omex 600 ecu, i was reading up on them an seems like it will do my job. any one on here using one? if so wot do you think of it? i might keep an eye out for some one selling one rather than forking out £600 quid. i'll see what happens.
eddie99

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a omex 600 on my zetec. Once i get it running (hopefully in next few days), i will let you know what i think of it

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steveyb

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I've got a omex 600 on my zetec. Once i get it running (hopefully in next few days), i will let you know what i think of it

did you just get the ecu and make up your own loom or would you recommend getting the wiring kit like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OMEX-600-ECU-semi-assembled-wiring-harness-loom_W0QQitemZ300371984903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=i tem45ef90c207

eddie99

posted on 29/3/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

steveyb

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
what all would i need to run it?

can i use the trigger wheel currently on the duratec with the standard cps?

also can i use the std duratec coil pack?

will i need the edis4 from a zetec set up?

edit: prob a question for electrial section

[Edited on 2/4/10 by steveyb]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.