Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: resistors
roadrunner

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
resistors

Could someone explain to me what "parallel" means when fitting resistors and the difference compared to "in series", i cant get my indicators working right.
Do i need two resistors for each indicator.
Brad.

Miks15

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

The left is in parallel, the right in series

roadrunner

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have been doing the search and others have been told to fit resistors in parallel, so i do need two resistors per indicator then.
Brad.

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
noooo. hang on, i'll do a drawing too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

left is resistor and indicator in parallel

right is in series

the black box is resistor and yellow box is indicator

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh yeh i just realised it was for an indicator.

Basically if you fit a resistor in parallel to it you will reduce the overall resistance in that line so yeh as blakes

roadrunner

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
AHH i see, the resistor is acting like a second indicator.
Thanks fellas, i will give it a try.
Brad.

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
what is the actual problem with the indicators?

are they flashing too quick? are the indicators LED type ones? are they normal bulbs, but blowing too quick?

roadrunner

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I am swapping from standard lights to led type and the indicators flashed to quickly, but after putting the resistors in parallel they work fine thanks.
Brad.

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not do the job of fitting LED indicator bulbs (I assume?) by using a direct replacement electronic relay?? ten quid or so on ebay

Should be easy to do the job that way

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Pauls option is what i'm going to do, but if it's worked for you then good times

as i understand it, the resistors will heat up. sometimes they come with big heatsinks on them link which is why i went with LED flasher relay units instead

my thoughts were also, 1 replacement relay, or 2 (maybe 4, maybe 6 depending on how many LED indicators you are planning to fit) its less things to go wrong, and a neater and easier install i think.
something like this should be a straight swap for the usual indicator relay. if you only have 2 LED indicators, it will be upgrade proof too.

just noticed i have a spare word 'the' at the bottom. not idea where it came from, or if i corrected it, so bare that in mind when you read the post

the

[Edited on 31/3/10 by blakep82]

roadrunner

posted on 31/3/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had the chance of buying a set brand new for not much money and they came with resistors.
blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
nice

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.