Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spire GTR Build Diary
Tris

posted on 31/3/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Spire GTR Build Diary

Hello All,

Ive been (trying) to document the build of my Spire GTR over the last few months. There doesn't seam to be an awful lot of detailed information out on the internet about the build, so i figured it would be worth investing the time to write it.

Anyway, hope it makes for an interesting, helpful read for someone, as i must admit i found the process of sourcing parts and making decisions on the spec quite daunting at first (especially when your trying to keep costs under control)

http://www.triskipling.co.uk/GT-R/The_Build/The_Build.html

Cheers
Tris

nick205

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good detailed diary there.

I noticed you've made a cracking job o cleaning your diff. A job I'm currently "enjoying" myself.

How did you get it clean enough to paint and get into all the little nooks and crannies?

I've degeased mine, but there's a very stubborn layer of oxidation/crust before you get to clean metal.

daniel mason

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
mine too. and on drive shafts!
Tris

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
There's no easy answer to cleaning the diff - i started with a couple of coats of engine cleaner first.

Then i came across a set of wire brush drill attachments in Aldi for a couple of quid. Took me about two evenings work with the different shaped wire brushes to get the majority off.

Finally, i used a very small wire brush attachment for my dremel to get in to all of small area's. In fact i think i went through a couple as they ware out fast.

De-greased again before warmed the casting up with a fan heater to help the paint set (this was in a very cold garage!). Then a couple of coats of spray hammerite and job done

nick205

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
There's no easy answer to cleaning the diff - i started with a couple of coats of engine cleaner first.

Then i came across a set of wire brush drill attachments in Aldi for a couple of quid. Took me about two evenings work with the different shaped wire brushes to get the majority off.

Finally, i used a very small wire brush attachment for my dremel to get in to all of small area's. In fact i think i went through a couple as they ware out fast.

De-greased again before warmed the casting up with a fan heater to help the paint set (this was in a very cold garage!). Then a couple of coats of spray hammerite and job done

Bugger - I was hoping you'd come back with a quick and easy solution - back to manual labour it is then

scootz

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Bugger - I was hoping you'd come back with a quick and easy solution - back to manual labour it is then

Like... wait till the missus goes out, then bung it in the dishwasher!?

It's Evolution Baby!

wheezy

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Tris
Good luck with the build. I look forward to reading your updates. If you need any advice just let me know, I may even know the answer.

Dave

nick205

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Like... wait till the missus goes out, then bung it in the dishwasher!?

Trust me Scootz I've mulled that one over before now. The only thing stopping me is not knowing how to plug the driveshaft holes well enough to keep the crap out of the internals

Hammerhead

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
about time someone made a good build diary. Seems like ages since anyone has produced one worth following.
Tris

posted on 1/4/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Nick - I did consider getting mine media-blasted at one point, but figured stipping the thing down to just the casting would take longer. Stick with it though - its fun (honest !!! )

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words,
Cheers,
Tris

Lightning

posted on 1/4/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good site
it would have been useful a year ago. Anyway my paperwork is off for the IVA, awaiting date. Watch this space.

Steve

Tris

posted on 1/4/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve

Good to hear regards your IVA.

Do let us know how you get on as i would be interested to hear if you encounter any issues with the 'fuel tank being in the engine bay' exception now having expired.

Cheers
Tris

[Edited on 1/4/10 by Tris]

Lightning

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it wont be a help as I modded the body side pods and put the tank in the nearside one. Had it made up specially Rescued attachment side pod.jpg
Rescued attachment side pod.jpg

Steve

pocket rocket

posted on 2/4/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
hey mate,

great build diary, i love the spire and almost got one for my first build but settled on something alittle more simple first time round.

looks like your doing a really neat job so this may well be alot of peoples build guide in the future

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

Steve Hignett

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Tight Spots ;-)

To get into all the nooks and crannies, I used a piece of wire rope with some tape round it.

It is really effective and can get most places as it can be forced and bent etc, the only one downside is that it has to be used with the drill going fwd the whole time...

andkilde

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

See if there's a local shop offering frozen CO2 blasting, It's used for cleaning core boxes and other casting paraphernalia so ask around at local forges if you've got one nearby.

Does a nice job without chewing up the underlying metal or seals and if anything happens to find it's way into the diff it evaporates away.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 5/4/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:
quote:

See if there's a local shop offering frozen CO2 blasting, It's used for cleaning core boxes and other casting paraphernalia so ask around at local forges if you've got one nearby.

Does a nice job without chewing up the underlying metal or seals and if anything happens to find it's way into the diff it evaporates away.

t

Good tip - might look into this, there a casting co. local to me who've done some work for my company in the past.

pocket rocket

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
just wanted to say a quick thumbs up for your build site, i looked at the spire at the show yesterday and really think it might be my next build.

top marks

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.