Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Linux on PS3
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Linux on PS3

Is there anyone on here who uses a linux OS on PS3?

If so there is apparently a software update due out soon that will remove the third party OS feature.

Personally I couldn't care less but interestingly the thoughts are that this could be illegal ie. Removing advertised features from a product after sale.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

tegwin

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I give it a few hours for a die hard geek to "un engineer" this software patch and everything will be back the way it was....

But yes... this is a bit of a cagey thing to do...They should have been like apple to start with.. lock EVERYTHING

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
i ran linux on my old machine, complete waste of time lol - i only did it because it was interesting!

the architecture is rubbish for a normal OS and its basically unusable for most applications.

Craig

Gav

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I tried it once and as said above totally unusable for a desktop.
IIRC the reason why they included this in the first place was that PC's bing a lower rate of tax duty than consoles.

Liam

posted on 1/4/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Personally I couldn't care less but interestingly the thoughts are that this could be illegal ie. Removing advertised features from a product after sale.

From PS3 eula:

3. SERVICES AND UPDATES

From time to time, SCE may provide updates, upgrades or services to your PS3™ system to ensure it is functioning properly in accordance with SCE guidelines or provide you with new offerings. Some services may be provided automatically without notice when you are online, and others may be available to you through SCE's online network or authorized channels. Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3™ system. Additionally, you may not be able to view your own content if it includes or displays content that is protected by authentication technology. Some services may change your current settings, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality.

So it seems they're covered which is no great surprise. Well, legally if not morally!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.