<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police clock driver at 150mph
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/5/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Police clock driver at 150mph

WUN UNDRED AN FIFTEE

[Edited on 6-5-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Driving a car at that speed carries the same danger as discharging a shotgun in a crowded street

Isobel Brydie, SCID
words of a woman possesed

[Edited on 6-5-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Alan B

posted on 6/5/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
While I do not condone that level of speeding, you got to ask where the hell does she come up will such an utterly ridiculous comment......

Trouble is people will accept it as fact, without questioning it...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 6/5/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
at the bottom it says one man got 5 months for doing 156mph!!! WTF i've been close to that, its not as dangerous as they make out if traffic conditions allow...

plus i sometimes use the phone at speed, but in my books some people just cant concentrate on two things at once, some can.

admittedly i once missed a red light whilst typing a text, but that does take concentration. lesson learned i guess...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

flak monkey

posted on 6/5/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
loony.....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/5/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was the boys coming back from Crail raceway

andyps

posted on 6/5/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Don't these so called officials talk a load of b*llocks - 150 in the right location is not dangerous.

I accept I don't know all the facts, but on the basis that 10% of the drivers caught were doing over 100mph I would suggest the road was reasonably quiet.

In the right car, on the right road, I would happily do 150 except for the risk to my licence and personal freedom. Of course, there are parts of the EU where it is perfectly acceptable (shame we only get the bad bits). It certainly is not the same as discharging a shotgun in the high street, except if the high street is empty and the gun is aimed away from any buildings.

I wish I could get some proof of my life being saved by driving very fast so I could get the publicity given to the do-gooders who claim to have suffered because of speed. Can anyone help with an incident. Then all I have to do is get a crappy acronym like SCID and BRAKE have.

I don't think using a phone at 150 is a good idea however....

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

greggors84

posted on 7/5/04 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
I remember there was a case of a bloke getting clocked at 170mph or close in his NSX, he got let off the dangerous driving charge as he was under complete control of the car. It might not work for everyone though as he may have been a proffesional racing driver or something to be able to prove that in court.
On a phone at 150 is pretty wreckless it would be very hard to swerve or control a slide with one hand at that speed!

I think you would kill less people if you drove down the highstreet at 150mph than if you discharged a shotgun in a street.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Alez

posted on 7/5/04 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
If I was the guy I would tell the judge I was phoning emergency and saying "help! my accelerator cable is locked!"
mackie

posted on 7/5/04 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hehe, loony, well he was taking the wee but the shotgun statement is barmy.
I heard about the NSX guy, he still got done harshly for speeding I believe
I makes me wonder really about these magazines (esp Evo) where they admit to doing silly speeds approaching 200mph on public roads, I wonder if the police can use that as evidence... If I was north wales police I'd know exactly where to be to bag me some juicy motoring journalists, just follow the smell of burning brake pads.
150mph is not uncommon on germany's autobahns as I understand it. If it's so dangerous why isn't there carnage every day on germany's roads?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have done 138 mph on roads.

However, its been when there was a clear road.

It takes gazillions of feet to stop at those speeds. Anyone driving at that speed past other traffic is a knobhead who deserves a week or so in jail if there were other cars around.

Try braking from just 100mph and see how many 100 yards it takes you to stop.

German roads have people driving on them that know the outside lane has people going past at ballistic speeds. In this country you dont expect it. Someone driving at 60 mph on our motorways would look in a mirror, and not expect to have to look back several 100 yards cos someone was approaching them at NINETY MILES AN HOUR. You would have to lose NINETY MILES AN HOUR in perhaps a hundred yards or so, and it cant be done. Genrman drivers know to expect 4 wheeled excercet missiles in the outside lane - we dont.

I nearly slammed someone in the rear as they pulled out from a crossing in the middle of a central reservation. It was summer, and the long grass was hiding them and they couldnt see me, and I couldnt see the gap in the reservation. End result was I was doing 100, they were doing 30, and I had 50 yards or so. NO amount of brake pressure could stop me in time, and the inside lane at my point was occupied. The accident was prevented by them seeing me and getting the f%^k out of the way in time. This was 'only' at 100 - 150 mph would have seen 2 dead people minimum.

If the person was caught using a MOBILE as WELL in the outside lane, at 150, on a busy road, its a no brainer that he should be jailed.

The following table shows road deaths in france and germany (with similar populations to ourselves) at more than double our rate....

Austria 1079 +12%
Belgium 1397 -6.9%
Finland 431 +7.8%
France 8029 -4.8%
Germany 7749 -0.6%
Greece 2058 -7.5%
Ireland 413 -9.8%
Luxembourg 51 -10.5%
Netherlands 1090 +2.3%
Norway 304 -13.6%
Portugal 1737 -6.9%
Spain 5268 -11.6%
Sweden 551 +3.8%
Switzerland 583 -2.3%
Turkey 5723 -5.9%
United Kingdom 3564 -0.5%

[Edited on 7/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

James

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
What a ridiculous article!

So that'd be shotgun firing blanks then!

Had my first ever ride on a motorbike the other day. Mate took me out on the back of his 1100 Blackbird. I thought it was good fun- though I prefer a nice BEC round Donnington! We managed 155mph very nicely round some nice country roads.

He'd hit 170mph half hour earlier with my girlfriend on the back! We all got back in one piece!

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
He'd hit 170mph half hour earlier with my girlfriend on the back!
James

there are easier ways of ending a relationship.

atb

steve

ned

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Both myself and my girlfriend have driven at 130mph on clear roads, very safely. I'll admit the braking distances are horrific as is using a mobile phone at those sorts of speeds.

Another point i'd make (and then run for cover) is that gemany and france are over twice the size of the uk so even if the populations are similar they have more roadfs to have accidents on!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I saw them James.

Got this picture too. Rescued attachment bareassbiker.jpg
Rescued attachment bareassbiker.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mackie

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've done 140mph before but that was on a deserted M10 at night in a car with good brakes and paying rather keen attention to the road ahead!
I'm guilty of showing off on the A47 doing 135 past cars doing 65 though, I was not pleased with myself!
I'd be interested to see what the stopping distances from silly speeds are for serious machinery (new breed hot hatches, boxter/s2000-esque things and full on 911-360-Enzo type cars. I know most good cars can pull up from 70mph in under 60m but I'd imagine it's not at all a linear scale up to double that.

It's the speed differential that's key as you say.

[Edited on 7/5/04 by mackie]

[Edited on 7/5/04 by mackie]

flak monkey

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Double your speed and it takes four times longer to stop...simple K.E = 0.5mv^2

Of course you have your rection time to add to that as well....usually however far you travel in 0.1 - 0.2 seconds.....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thats strange logic ned!

Are you saying that given the same number of drivers and cars, but 4x the roads, that the accident rate would go up proportionally - ie 4 times

I would think it relates to miles travelled per driver, but wether more roads = more travel is something perhaps only transport 2000 might suggest!

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by ned
Both myself and my girlfriend have driven at 130mph on clear roads, very safely. I'll admit the braking distances are horrific as is using a mobile phone at those sorts of speeds.

Another point i'd make (and then run for cover) is that gemany and france are over twice the size of the uk so even if the populations are similar they have more roadfs to have accidents on!

Ned.

James

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Got this picture too.

Dammit!

When she said I could borrow her biking trousers I thought she had a spare pair!

Nice picture though! I haven't got one of her like that in ages!

James

greggors84

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Surely with 4 times the amount of roads they would be more spread out and less likely to hit each other???

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Surely with 4 times the amount of roads they would be more spread out and less likely to hit each other???

nice lateral thinking

Hellfire

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
As a frequent overseas visitor I'm surprised the UK speed limit is not reduced.

Compared to many European countries; and anyone driving within the EU could vouch for this; we are terrible drivers - (we drive on the wrong side of the road too!). Oversea's drivers use motorways more or less correctly - not the stereotypical white van driver lane hoggers. The point in question is more reason for the authorities NOT to raise speed limits IMHO.

Despite figures stating the contarary Mr G, I simply think we are better at avoiding accidents, that's why our figures are lower.

Controversial as it may be!

ned

posted on 7/5/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
well,

the french may have better lane control on the autoroutes, but driving all those old hydro-pneumatic suspensioned citroens they're bound to either fall asleep or chuck up evry now and again.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

robinbastd

posted on 7/5/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Lane control!! From my experience there's not a lot of it in Germany and none in Holland.

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/5/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
americans have no lane control at all on major highways. You can overtake either side and the traffic is basically 'plug flow'

I think that the reason we have lower accident rates is due in part to better road layouts and markings. Anyone thats driven in greek or spanish islands will notice the lack of road markings.

In corfu, no overtaking lines mean nothing. some roads have em continually for miles - so people just overtake into oncoming traffic anyway.

In america six months ago I nearly had a horrendous accident when I ran a 4 way stop sign. I just forgot to look for the signs - in the UK we are attuned to stopping where you see road markings - you dont get those markings in America.

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/5/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off the topic, but insurance companies recon that there is an insurance claim every 19,300 driven miles, but drivers who do high mileages, have no more accidents than those doing lower mileages.

Which brings me to restricted mileage policies, I asked the stats office of NU, they said that it was probably due to policyholder stereotyping, and predictions of the type of driver that builds a car, perhaps that is why the premiums are so reasonable?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.