Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: drive cut short
55ant

posted on 10/4/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
drive cut short

afternoon all

went out for a drive this afternoon, been out about an hour and was nearing home, waiting at a set of traffic lights when the indy (2.0 pinto) starts to sound like a trackter. not good me thinks, pull over asap and take a peak under the bonnet. the weld on the exhaust has cracked clean through! no heat wrap by the way.

it is on cylinder 1 where the header and flange plate are welded,

so i limped home as it was only 1 mile,

and on closer inspection two of the bolts are missing from the flange bellow the cracked pipe i am certain i put them back on and had a look in my photos and all of them where there, could this have caused the crack due to vibrations, surely they wouldnt crack due to heat without exhaust wrap and at no point did the car get that hot.

so, im waiting for the exhasut to cool down, then ill whip it off, is it a case of reweld? or will i need a new one. its an MK style, as below. any and all help welcome.

ashg

posted on 10/4/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
just weld it back up.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

55ant

posted on 10/4/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
cool, thats good, but i dont have a welder is there anyone around sg13 that i could visit and they could weld it up for me for a box of beer?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/4/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
bugger!! Its stainless I presume? If so then it'll need someone with a Tig welder. If you get no joy on here then try the local engineering firms. Boxes of beer or £10 notes should do well with that sort of job during someone's lunchtime!!
flak monkey

posted on 12/4/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
You only need to MIG it, I did mine with mig no probs. Just run stainless wire thats all.

Shouldnt be a big job. Is the downside of a stainless exhaust though

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

lanzecki

posted on 13/5/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mig welding would be better (with stainless wire)

But you can get stainless welding rods for Arc welders. I broke my exaust brackets a few years ago. Arc welding stainless was a piece of easy stuff.

I'm sure you've fixed this by now, but arc welders are much easier to come by. I ended up using the local farmers arc welder.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.