Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recover file from hard disc
02GF74

posted on 26/4/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
recover file from hard disc

arrgghhh ... I inadvertently edited a file (windows XP) then saved it losing lots of my file.

anyone know of a free program that can search the hard disc for some text then read sector so I can piece together my file?

I did not delete the file so undelete utilities will not work.

or you know of another way?
thanks

vinny1275

posted on 26/4/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
If it was Word or Excel, you might be able to recover the temp file with the old content in... Search for file names including ~ to see what's there - you'll need to open each one though.

Good luck!

Vince

02GF74

posted on 26/4/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
no tmp files.

managed to find a sector viewer .... but next step is to figure out what sector a file or directory occupies so I could look round that area, assumes that the sectors will be close together but they probably are not.

a search utility would be better.

tomprescott

posted on 26/4/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
recuva?

A bird in the hand....

Airhead

posted on 26/4/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
The problem that you will have is having saved the file you will probably have overwritten the data with new - the system won't issue a new location in the FAT unless you rename or relocate the file and then only sometimes.

Going for an old version or as previously mentioned temporary version is the only hope.

McLannahan

posted on 26/4/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
recuva?

+1 for Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva)

Really good bit of software.

02GF74

posted on 26/4/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
thx for replies sor far but those tools, as well as a lot of others, deal with deleted files.

I did not delete my file but edited it - the edit resulted in losing a vast chunk of the file.

I have an idea of what text was in the file so am looking for a utility that can search for text on the hard disc giving me sector location.

I have a sectorr reading utility - just need to know where to read.

RichardK

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using vista or 7? my be worth right clicking on the file and choosing properties and seeing if you have a previous version tab, you might be lucky! XP did have the ability but think it was a custom update.

Cheeers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 26/4/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
thx for replies sor far but those tools, as well as a lot of others, deal with deleted files.

I did not delete my file but edited it - the edit resulted in losing a vast chunk of the file.

I have an idea of what text was in the file so am looking for a utility that can search for text on the hard disc giving me sector location.

I have a sectorr reading utility - just need to know where to read.

Recuva deals with over-written files too - used it just last week for exactly this job. Recovered a file edited in Word and then USB removed and tmp files then over-written. Original file restored and then repaired and all back to square one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.