Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best choice of shocks for a non-XE Velocity
Browser

posted on 1/5/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Best choice of shocks for a non-XE Velocity

OK, I want you to whisper very quietly, otherwise the money fairies will hear you and steal my funds, but I'm veeeery close to being able to get myself the shocks I've been saving up for (for ever!) so I'm looking for some recommendations as to which manufacturer to go for. I'm looing to use my car for the road mainly, with possibly the odd trackday thrown in, so I do't want a super-stiff ride as that'll make Mrs Browser not want to go anywhere in it!
So, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with suppliers, manufacturers or products they'd like to share with me please? If you have advice on spring rates I'd be grateful too. Mine will have a 2.0l Zetec and MT75 'box if that's any help.

Worzey

posted on 1/5/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I had Gaz Shocks on my Velocity which started to leak after only 2,500 miles. Not good.

Just got myself some Protech shocks from the nice guys at Procomp

I can't say what they are like as they are sat in their boxes waiting to be fitted later today/tomorrow.

Matt at Procomp should be able to advise on the specification required.

Caterham R400

Browser

posted on 1/5/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
D'you mind me asking how much the set of four were please? Which size springs did you go for? Rod ends or bushes?

procomp

posted on 1/5/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I do the bushed for £89.50 and the bearing ones for £95. You ll need spacer to go with those also but can supply if you have dims.
They are valved and balanced in pairs to suit the application you require rather than just off the shelf items. The spring collars can also be supplied with grub screws also if required as they are not as STD from Protech.
The dampers we supply are specials made to our specifications not as supplied as std by Protech.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Browser

posted on 1/5/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt.
All above quoted prices + V.A.T. I presume?
What size springs do they take and do I need to get them from you also?

procomp

posted on 1/5/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

That's total price. There's no VAT too add. Just P&P @ £12 if required.
Springs either you can supply or i supply Faulkner's as std. Diameter wise whatever you want. 1.9 or 2 1/4 There's no difference in price for the dampers. Poundage's can be recommended etc etc once there's further details.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FlansS14

posted on 7/5/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
id recomend you take the car down to Matt and have the car weighed first. That was Matt can order the right ones...

also i would highly recomend paying the little extra and having the car set up. Mine now handles like its on rails and is also a pleasure on the road!

there is no was the average Jo can set up caster,camber...ect

plus my chassis was one of the original ones and the tolerances were very good... but even with my chassis Matt had to machine 2mm of the top bush's to get the correct caster!

plus they make a mean beans on toast for lunch!

Why didn't i just make it simple!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.