Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti-Dive Suspension
thegodplato

posted on 3/5/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Anti-Dive Suspension

Hi, confused here as I have read 3 books now which all say/show something different in relation to the wishbone pick up points for the front suspension.

Build Your Own Car For £250 seems to have the brackets horizontal.

Build Your Own Tiger Avon has the brackets angled up towards the front of the car

The Sports Cars & Kit Car Suspension & Brakes manual has them sloping downwards to the front of the car.

The latter is to achieve anti-dive and therefore better handling.

Having never done this before can anyone agree with any of the above and recommend a good route to go?

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

designer

posted on 3/5/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
For a road car parallel, no anti dive/squat.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dnmalc

posted on 3/5/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have 5 deg anti dive in mine still building though. the wishbones follow the 3rd case so that when you brake the forward momentum of the car has a component (circa 8.5%) that is trying to lift the nose of the car. Why avon has it the other way defeats me.
Mave

posted on 3/5/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on which wishbone is angled. Anti-dive is caused by:
- upper wishbone sloping down towards rear of car
- lower wishbone sloping up towards rear of the car.

A roadcar generally has anti-dive (and anti-squat at the rear)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/5/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Or both top and bottom wishbone sloping up towards the rear of the car.

It is really best not to use anti-dive as it can have undesirable side effects and really not required on a light stiffly sprung car with a very low Cg

A small amount of anti-squat on the rear is more often used as it tends to have less side effects.

[Edited on 3/5/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 3/5/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
my chassis (SHP say it has anti dive facility fitted) can have the wishbone sloping downwards to the front of the car for anti dive, or horizontal if you don't want anti dive working

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

phelpsa

posted on 3/5/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
In small, lightweight RWD cars where the CoM is back in the car, dive is often to your advantage. Hence soft springs and large ARBs work well.

Saying anti-dive gives better handling without any idea of the setup of the rest of the car is a bit dangerous really.

thegodplato

posted on 4/5/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
sorry phelpsa, what I was meaning was that the anti dive element should give a car better handling when under hard braking as the front wheels should be in the best position for max grip - as far as I understand, a car that dives at the front under braking would change the camber and toe out of the wheels and therefore not brake as effectively.
I'm only going off what I've read, and will welcome any further comments as I am still learning about this!!

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

phelpsa

posted on 4/5/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thegodplato
sorry phelpsa, what I was meaning was that the anti dive element should give a car better handling when under hard braking as the front wheels should be in the best position for max grip - as far as I understand, a car that dives at the front under braking would change the camber and toe out of the wheels and therefore not brake as effectively.
I'm only going off what I've read, and will welcome any further comments as I am still learning about this!!

That is very true, but as far as I can see if you're designing a suspension setup you'd be better off trying to counter the current geometry changes than introducing another geometry change to counter the effects.

What's the car for? Road or track? If it's on the road then ultimate grip under hard braking isn't going to be high on the agenda. If it's for the track then you'd be better off reducing roll on camber, stiffening the front springs/arbs and running slightly more static negative camber.

Either way I don't think you're going to see any significant improvement that can't be gained by fiddling with other parts of the suspension setup.

P.S. I'm by no means an expert! Just done a fair amount of reading, research and chatting on the matter

[Edited on 4-5-10 by phelpsa]

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thegodplato

You have to offset this against the fact that your anti-dive geometry effectively stiffens the suspension under braking, and this itself can lead to a reduction in grip (just like running springs that are too stiff). The same problem occurs with anti-squat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.