Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil found in Falkland Islands
James

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oil found in Falkland Islands

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10100769.stm

Guess we won't be handing them back any time soon then!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

blakep82

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
they say they don't know the size of it yet, i bet its bigger than all the oil fields found so far put together

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
they say they don't know the size of it yet, i bet its bigger than all the oil fields found so far put together

that would be so joke!

and a tory government just in time to see off the argies

Craig

mid-buggy

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you think obama wants us to give it to the argies?

He is friends with them (not us) and as such no doubt belives he will get some oil off of them.

Rek

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
and guess who's getting involved... Where there's oil there's.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7047309.ece

Humbug

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
..."may have struck oil."

...initial data collected from one well "indicated an oil discovery".

Don;'t get your hopes up too soon!

mid-buggy

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek

Not read that before, but its common knowledge that obama dosnt like us, and that they are after the oil.

blakep82

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
right, whats oil made of again? just thinking, if its like dead dinosaurs and stuff, why is it in huge pools like this, and not just sort of spread about all over the place?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
right, whats oil made of again? just thinking, if its like dead dinosaurs and stuff, why is it in huge pools like this, and not just sort of spread about all over the place?

yes its mostly dead t-rexes, but in this case i suspect its a build up of dead sea life, algae and such like.

It tends to come up in clumps because you need quite specific conditions for it to form, the same reason you tend to find loads of fossils grouped together.

Craig

Rek

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mid-buggy
quote:
Originally posted by Rek

Not read that before, but its common knowledge that obama dosnt like us, and that they are after the oil.

She made a snide comment made about the UK holding on to an Island thousands of miles away... ermm Guam?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
my mate bought an ass load of shares in rockhopper about 3 months ago.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

iank

posted on 6/5/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe she should start talks with Mexico to give back California and Texas...

[Edited on 6/5/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

edspurrier

posted on 6/5/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Why all this talk about "giving them back"? The Falklands have never been legitimate Argentine territory.
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/5/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I am concerned they are a part of Britain for as long as the inhabitants want to be. Same with Gibraltar and anywhere else.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

scootz

posted on 6/5/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear... I hope it's not a significant find. The aggro is just now worth it! Without US support we are in no position to wage a campaign down there (yes, I know they said that the last time too).

As for the US... wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them! If it doesn't suit their interests then they will drop us like a stone!

It's Evolution Baby!

speed8

posted on 6/5/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

yes its mostly dead t-rexes, but in this case i suspect its a build up of dead sea life, algae and such like.

It tends to come up in clumps because you need quite specific conditions for it to form, the same reason you tend to find loads of fossils grouped together.

It's not pools of oil, it's within the pore space of the rocks and migrates over time depending on type of rock, how the formations are laid down and numerous other factors.
They may have seen indications of oil but they suspected there was a chance of something there based on seismic. How much and how easy to extract is another matter entirely.

StevieB

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Oh dear... I hope it's not a significant find. The aggro is just now worth it! Without US support we are in no position to wage a campaign down there (yes, I know they said that the last time too).

As for the US... wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them! If it doesn't suit their interests then they will drop us like a stone!

If we had to wage a war in the Falklands again, we'd simply have to pull out of all the conflicts in which we are supporting US foreign policy.

And as for the Argies, if they think they got a whipping in the 80's they better think twice about going against what is probably the best equipped (don't believe the tabloid hype - there's some awesome kit on issue now!), best trained and most battle hardened force in the world at the moment.

[Edited on 6/5/10 by StevieB]

franky

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
its well known about the oil in the Falklands..... they've known for years its just in hard to get at/expensive areas.

Just looks like they've found some thats easier to get at.

scootz

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that we do indeed have the best troops on the planet, but we don't have the sheer numbers or the hardware required to back them up in a battle with Argentina.

What's more... if it did indeed develop into a bit of a squabble, then I'll bet my boots that Venezuela would join in the melee!

I think it would be an absolute disaster.

It's Evolution Baby!

franky

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
We'd have to use the might of the RN again.... However we've not got the number of ships required now like we did in the early 80's.

On the plus side Argentina has a very poorly funded and demotivated military after about 10 years of constant funding cuts and next to no sea power.

It will never ever get to that stage again. we'll be at war with the Americans before that

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
its well known about the oil in the Falklands..... they've known for years its just in hard to get at/expensive areas.

Just looks like they've found some thats easier to get at.

that man hit it on the nose....

I was part of a team undertaking exporation logging 20 year ago, we found plenty oil.

But at that time it was just too dammed deep to get at economically for the technology of the day, and things have changed dramatically, so the "sensation" of an "new" oil find is just bull.....

keithice

posted on 7/5/10 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
As an ex-colonial,(Hong Kong) I was already sure that there was more to the falklands war than 3,500 islanders... We went to war over them but Maggie didn't even take a second to breathe before handing honkers back... thats a 1/4 of a million ex-pats... the 99 year lease only referred to the new territories and outlying islands... never Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon peninsula... but of course there is no OIL...

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

eddie99

posted on 7/5/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
My parents have shares in Desire Petroleum so we're hoping its a big discovery

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.