Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper Steering Column/Paddle Shift
Nick DV

posted on 7/5/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Upper Steering Column/Paddle Shift

I have a Dax Rush with Busa power, and I have Dax's 'paddle' shift gear change set up. I want to change the upper part of the Sierra column with the lock and switches etc, and replace with a straight shaft, and also replace the Dax paddles for the flat ali one which some people here use.

Can someone here point me in the right direction and tell me where I can find the column and who makes or where I can find the paddles shift?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers, Nick

boggle

posted on 7/5/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
i made my paddle thing, but have yet to fit it.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nick DV

posted on 7/5/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, that's the type I meant. I know that someone somewhere supplies these ready made and fitted to some type of adapter that attaches it to the column,

Cheers, Nick

boggle

posted on 7/5/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
was it ap performance??

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

SPYDER

posted on 7/5/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think he means AB Performance.
Andy will no doubt be along soon but if you are removing the sierra column his adaptor might not fit.
His username is Andy B
Send him a U2U.
There are a few people on here that could supply a flat paddle I think.
We made our own from titanium.
Geoff

Tris

posted on 7/5/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I recently got the paddle shift of Andy, and adapted the sierra column to fit. Just cut off all the protrusions (lock etc) and then turned it down to fit the boss of andy's kit.

Gav

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not that i want to belittle anyones work, but these paddles with the holes cut out, do they not have serious potential for trapping the end of your fingers if you not carefull?

quote:
Originally posted by boggle
i made my paddle thing, but have yet to fit it.....

Nick DV

posted on 9/5/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
I recently got the paddle shift of Andy, and adapted the sierra column to fit. Just cut off all the protrusions (lock etc) and then turned it down to fit the boss of andy's kit.

Looks good! When using the Sierra upper column you have to use a nut on the shaft to fit the steering wheel boss in order to compress the spring inside the column. I want to use a snap-off wheel so dont want to use the threaded part of the column. Have you done away with that to - if you understand what I am getting at?

Failing that, I may need to purchase an upper column thats just the shaft from one of the kit car suppliers,

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Tris

posted on 9/5/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Nick,

Yes - i too have removed the spring and i will be using a removable steering wheel with a welded in boss and no nut.

The steering shaft is locked in place between the welded on flange on the column pressing against the boss and a grub screwed attached collar as it passes through my peddle box.

Cheers
Tris

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've recently made my own paddle too (well 3 to be exact. 1 12" one for the car I'm building (TimC's) 1 10" one for Joe (Welderman) which leaves one 10" one going spare (ish). They are made in a hybrid fabric of Carbon Fibre and Kevlar...

Oh. PS, for whoever it was that suggested above that they are a finger trap hazard, I doubt that you've used a paddle shift;- you do not curl your fingers round that much - mind you, it does look substantially weakened!

Gav

posted on 10/5/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dont you just love internet assumptions!
I do use a paddle shift in my BEC

While i know you dont curl your fingers round it
I just thought that you could end up getting a nasty nip if you managed to get your finger tips caught in one of the holes!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.