Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Banned F1 Tech
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/5/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Banned F1 Tech

What is your favourite piece of banned F1 tech Which would make the most difference if suddenly allowed today?

Can you imagine what it would be like to drive a turbo, active suspension fan car with movable aero???
Make sure that g suit fits well

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
It has GOT to be the fan car...

http://grandprixinsider.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/lauda-takes-the-fan-car-to-its-only-victory/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its amazing isn't it, I'm just watching "inside F1" on Discovery turbo and they're are talking it

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

hicost blade

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Active suspension on a ground force turbo with varomatic (CVT) gearbox, Kerrs, F duct, ABS, traction control, a bit of launch control......oh and 6 wheels with 4wd ummmmmm
hicost blade

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

http://grandprixinsider.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/lauda-takes-the-fan-car-to-its-only-victory/

good old Bernie the ultimate cheat.....

SeanStone

posted on 16/5/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff goddard once came to my college to do a little presentation, which ended up being 4 hours long. He was talking about his time in f1 and he designed schumachers first championship engine and alonso's two (among many others). Almost all of his stories ended with.. 'and then we were banned'
spidersaurus

posted on 16/5/10 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
well they are in talks of brining turbo backs no?

and +1 for fan car!!

morcus

posted on 16/5/10 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard that VW suggested they supply the same engine to every team and a move to 4 pots but I can't see Ferrari agreeing to it (And I think its a bad Idea).

They should make a no holds barred series where if it can be built, it can be raced.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

iank

posted on 16/5/10 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost blade
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

good old Bernie the ultimate cheat.....

Cheat, but it was just a cooling fan and any downforce was an accidental side-effect. Honest...

Though I must admit it was a very ingenious way to interpret the rules and deserved the limited time of grey-legality.

For me it would be the Lotus 88 duel chassis design. So good the other teams got it banned before it even raced.
http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/473

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

matnrach

posted on 16/5/10 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Geoff goddard once came to my college to do a little presentation, which ended up being 4 hours long. He was talking about his time in f1 and he designed schumachers first championship engine and alonso's two (among many others). Almost all of his stories ended with.. 'and then we were banned'

You need to take everything Geoff says with a very large pinch of salt.

scootz

posted on 16/5/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
They should make a no holds barred series where if it can be built, it can be raced.

Amen!

It's Evolution Baby!

scudderfish

posted on 16/5/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
My favourite cheat is a subtle one by McLaren. In the days of turbos, you had to provide a tap for a gauge so the scrutineers could check the boost levels. McLaren put a restrictor in the pipe at the point of the tap so the Bernoulli effect would cause it to read a lower level of boost than actually used.
escary

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
remove the restrictions

prototype racing, let them do what they want.

set a ground base, 3 litre 4 wheels, re fuelling to reduce fuel tank size and promote safety, more than one tyre supplier, anyone who wants a turbo can have one.

then it becomes the fastest car, on the best design , limited only by the track tay race on, in short actual prototype racing.

bi22le

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
as much as i think that no hold bars racing would be amazing it would bring motorsport danger levels to a new high.
The drivers risk there lives as it is. Imagen if the cars were that much faster.
I always thought that if i win the lottery i would be a super fast top tech car and travel around the world taking up all of the lap records!
I like the idea of that life style, especially if im successful and dont die!
I could follow the f1 calender and do exhibition laps!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
slicks?
Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
as much as i think that no hold bars racing would be amazing it would bring motorsport danger levels to a new high.

It would be super awesome to watch though!
Imagine if they weren't allowed to do test laps either and all adjustments had to be made mid-race. That'd bring a new tactic in

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ground effect cars and turbo's.

Very dangerous but very very fast.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Neville Jones

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
...and all adjustments had to be made mid-race. That'd bring a new tactic in

AHH, nothing new, ever watched NASCAR, or Aussie V8 Supercars? Both classes are constantly adjusting at every opportunity.

Nev.

speedyxjs

posted on 16/5/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ground effect

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

se7en

posted on 16/5/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would bring back the Ground Effect skirts, for the sheer enjoyment of close racing. It was amazing watching the cars overtake in corners; it was like they were running on rails.

The rule that I would introduce would be tyres with treads ie no slicks. The reason for this would be that tyre technology for road going cars would improve greatly. It would also slow the race, therefore improving overtaking opportunities.

It was always said that whatever F1 does today road going cars would do tomorrow. OK, I cannot see road going cars with slicks or side skirts but we have had a goodly number of F1 ideas implemented on road going cars.

Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
...and all adjustments had to be made mid-race. That'd bring a new tactic in

AHH, nothing new, ever watched NASCAR, or Aussie V8 Supercars? Both classes are constantly adjusting at every opportunity.

Nev.

Maybe yes, what I mean is that the cars wouldn't be allowed on the track until 10 mins before race time, which means they can't do any set-up for the car and the drivers would have to practice in some other vehicle.

How well did that fan car work? Looks like something that could be done on the 7

55ant

posted on 16/5/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for ground effect, just awsome.

in the future, id like to see

3 races per venue, with grid messed up, like touring cars, just look at the race alonso had today.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

Vindi_andy

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone

I remember going to a lecture arranged by th IMechE some years ago given by the "Chief Engineer in charge of the use of composite materials" for Williams when carbon fibre use was in its Infancy and one of his favourite sayings was " and then they changed the rules to slow us down"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.