Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a buck - GRP Mould
Howlor

posted on 17/5/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Making a buck - GRP Mould

Hi,

I am looking at looking to produce a moulding buck so I can take off a GRP mould from it. It is quite a curvy shape and hence I want to form it from 10mm thick sheets, cut to shape then laminated together. This way I can form the curves and shapes quite accurately, a good sanding should then bring them smooth.

Question is, am I ok using MDF for the mould or is it too fiberous to smooth/sand properly? If not can anyone suggest a better substrate please.

Also if I glue them together will normal wood glue be up to the job. My plan was to sand, then varnish and wax before laying up the grp.

First attempt at this so I may be back for some more pointers!

Thanks,
Steve

tony-devon

posted on 17/5/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
a skim of body filler will allow you to get it ultra smooth and the shape that you require

just remember that you need to get the pattern as perfect as possible, as it will all go downhill from there

if you start with a crap pattern, then theres no going back

also dont forget to think about what way your making it, are you wet cutting or dry cutting the final object?

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 17/5/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a question that has been well presented! I think I will dry cut the completed moulding but what are the benefits?

Regards,
Steve

emsfactory

posted on 17/5/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
You can seal the MDF before you sand it to get a good surface finnish without using body filler. Depends how good you want the surface.
You can also get a high build styrene paint that is very hard and takes a good shine but it isnt very cheap.
Swings and roundabouts.

skinned knuckles

posted on 17/5/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
i was tought to treat the buck as though it was a body panel, so thats a skim of body filler, rub back, primer, flat back, contrasting colour coat, flat it again and a durable top coat. finish off with a good polish and wax. with this in mind, it really doesn't matter what you use to form the basic shape in the early stages.

what panel are you trying to form? some of the more intricate shapes can be achieved with the use of chicken wire between your MDF "ribs".

I will be starting on a donkervoort lookalike front end next week. i normally cant be bothered to post pics of the progress of these things as its a good way of killing a camera but i'll post this time if you are interested in seeing the process? (unless you are in a rush, i'm hopelessly bad at getting distracted by other things)

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Howlor

posted on 17/5/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
That would be a great help as I am an absolute beginner at this.

Many thanks,
Steve

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 17/5/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
This video might give you some ideas and tips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

tony-devon

posted on 17/5/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
we always used to dry cut, better finish and some room for adjustment if you should need it, but very dusty and make sure you wear full protection, mask, eyes hands etc, it aint much fun

patterns need to be different for wet or dry cut

if your wet cutting it then you need the mould to finish exactly where you want the item to finish, but if your dry cutting then you need an extension lip around the item.

I used to use a sticky backed wax roll material, cant remember the name, but you could use this to create the fence or extension and then build it up with car body filler

as your building the pattern from scratch this isnt an issue

but as correctly stated already, the pattern should be at the very least, as good as the panel that you would want to fit to the car

remember the 6 P's and you will be ok

allow the filler time to go off properly as it will shrink back, and make sure the pattern and then the mould are well braced, the heat from the curing can warp and move things.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 17/5/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I make a lot of MDF plugs at work - the flat surface is ideal for what I make , and very easy to finish (just coat with a polyester based spray filler , smooth with 1000 grit wet'n'dry , and wax)
The cut edges tent to `fluff' up a little - any MDF surface thats is shaped/sanded will do this - I seal it with a coat of wood glue , the spray filler , sand it smooth , then another coat .
Finishing with 1000/1200 grit , wet sanded , will give a smooth semi-matt finish in the mold which will polish to a mirror shine easily .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
This isn't finished and doesn't tell as good a story as a video, but should get you started...

http://www.p4nts.co.uk/becairbox

thegodplato

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
If we use ribs that are spaced apart, what sort of foam are we talking about to fill in the gaps? Is it the same stuff as builders use for insulation - comes in sheets that are maybe 6 foot x 4 foot and about 4" thick wrapped in silver foil??

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

Fred W B

posted on 19/5/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

what sort of foam are we talking

I used 32 kg/m2 density polyurethane foam, sourced from industrial insulation suppliers

Can see more detail in this thread

Cheers

Fred W B

plug 2 08 07
plug 2 08 07

[Edited on 19/5/10 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 19/5/10 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Mr Noo

posted on 20/5/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,
As Fred and others have said, anything will do, I used decent ply to make the the main formers and longerons then just shuttered it in between with cheaper ply and then used filler, Upol Easysand, cheap and works well, followed with 2k primer. To stick all the wood together I used P38 fibre filler, strong and goes off quick esp in this hot weather, using this method is quick, and if something is not right it`s easy to just cut/grind it off and re shutter/fill. Here is a link to some pickies of the buck that I am in the process of doing at the mo, they may explain a little to you, I have so far spent 3 months on it, eves and w-ends and hope to be getting some moulds done before winter, fingers crossed!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47153142@N03/sets/72157623861979360/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.