Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting rid of scrap metal in Cornwall
Airhead

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of scrap metal in Cornwall

Now I might be behind the times but I thought that the price of scrap had started to go back up again? The reason I ask is because I can't get anybody to come and take the bits left over from my donor. It's not like it even needs stripping - it is a metal bodyshell with some other metal bits.

Any of you local lads know of:

A: Somebody that will come and take it away to weigh in?

B: Somebody with a trailer and something to tow it with that wants to help me take it to the scrapper and can have whatever it makes as their compensation?

C: Some other way of getting rid of it before my wife uses some of the sharper bits to castrate me?

Thanks

Matt

I've got a little black book with my poems in!

My build diary: http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk

iank

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you aren't bothered by getting any money for it cut up the shell into manageable chunks and take it to the tip. I did my donor mini like that when they were charging to take shells away.

Some councils will collect waste that doesn't fit in the bins from your doorstep - ours does one free collection like that per household per year - any charges will be on their website.

Another option is to put it on freecycle, someone will take it.

Whatever option you choose make sure there are no identifying numbers left on the shell or you risk having it registered as scrap and lose the ability to get an age related plate (if you care about getting a Q).

[Edited on 19/5/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

pdm

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Are you asking car scrap yards or metal merchants ?

I had trouble getting car scrap yards to fetch it as a) I'm tight and wanted some cash for it and b) they wanted my V5

So I phoned a local metal merchant who came and got my shell and paid me cash for the difference between it's weight and their pickup charge. It went the very next day !!

Airhead

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Our council is funny about scrap, I had to take a letter stating I wasn't a trader just to tip a wing I was trying to drop off in the metal bin...

No I don't want anything for it - the wife wants it gone. I have been contacting scrap metal collectors but none of them are interested in it - I live fairly remote and it is only a little car..

[Edited on 19/5/10 by Airhead]

02GF74

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
put a big sign FOR SALE £ 200 ONO.

it will be gone next day.

nick205

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
As above, you might have more luck with metal recyclers than the scrappies themselves who in turn take it to the recyclers for the cash.

Last 2 Sierra shells I weighed in fetched about £40 IIRC, but I was able to traler them there myself.

vinny1275

posted on 19/5/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I just cut mine up with the angry grinder (keeping the VIN plates) and dumped it at the local tip....

tegwin

posted on 19/5/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
You must have similar guys around you.... up here there are a couple of people who will happily take away mixed metal scrap.... Talk to the pikeys?!!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coozer

posted on 19/5/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Dig a big hole and built yourself an underground parts store?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Airhead

posted on 19/5/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Found one! Chap called Graham coming to collect it tomorrow. Thanks for the input

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/5/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I use Simms Metals in Bodmin, they'll come and collect a good load.
Normally, I'll drive the shed that I'm scrapping on MoT day there - full of scrap itself.
Then look for another shed that has 'somehow' got an MoT ticket..
and repeat.

T66

posted on 19/5/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
A work colleague had simialr problems getting rid of a Fiat Panda (deceased) from his remote house in Northumberland.

That is until I suggested he did what the good folk of the outer isles do with their dead cars......

On my advice, one Sunday morning he borrowed his neighbours JCB, dug a big hole , drove the Panda in said hole,patted the roof flat and covered it back over in the corner of his field.

Its now just a slight bump in the field.

Cost him some cans for the farmer.

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/5/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wheal Alfred in Hayle are currently giving about £150 for a medium sized saloon, so they should at least take a reasonable amount for free.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.