Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ducati Power
thegodplato

posted on 21/5/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ducati Power

Hi, not that I am going to do this, but has anyone used a Ducati engine before. They sound great and I know thats not a good enough reason but thought I'd ask anyhow!

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

scootz

posted on 21/5/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone somewhere probably has, but the only reason I can think of to go ahead and do it is... well... because it came from a Ducati!

If I had to do something with a V-twin, then I'd probably go for an Aprilia or TLR lump.

It's Evolution Baby!

franky

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Which motor are you thinking of? Avoid the aircooled
lumps, a 1200cc motor would be my choice, it'd show a 1000cc 4 cyl a clean pair of heals!

scootz

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
In a car??? I don't think there would be much in it.

It's Evolution Baby!

thegodplato

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
why not in a car? Surely if it fits in a bike, it will be OK in a car, unless its far too tall??

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

scootz

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I was responding to Franky's suggestion of the 1200cc V-twin engine showing a Litre sportsbike engine a clean pair of heels...

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 21/5/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I was responding to Franky's suggestion of the 1200cc V-twin engine showing a Litre sportsbike engine a clean pair of heels...

Really? a 1200cc Ducati engine puts out 177bhp. I was under the impression most of the 1 litre sports bikes put out nearer 150bhp.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_1098

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

r1_pete

posted on 21/5/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
With the desmodromic valve gear the ducati engine is tall, and in car orientation as wide too, so probably wouldn't fit in a 7 style.

I doubt the clutch would last terribly well, they don't do too well in the bike, and with the additional heat round the engine due to it being enclosed the cambelts would need more frequent attention, its frequent enough, and a PITA to replace them on the bike.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 21/5/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
They're a great engine, but reliability could be an issue.
As my cousin says, the reason he owns a collection of 8 Ducatis is so he is sure at least 1 will start in the morning!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

franky

posted on 21/5/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rev for rev they make quite a bit more power and torque than a modern il4 so surely that would make a standard one better suited to a car? Worth it for the noise alone! The recent ones are reliable too, with the shape of the engine I thought it'd lend its self well to a 7 chassis?
Simon

posted on 21/5/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I doubt the clutch would last terribly well,

It's a Duc, none of it will last very well. In fact every reason I can think of for not using one in a car (or a bike for that matter) is cos it's a Ducatti.

A friend bought a new Duc and it had an engine rebuild within 3k miles!

ATB

Simon

RIE

posted on 21/5/10 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Really? a 1200cc Ducati engine puts out 177bhp. I was under the impression most of the 1 litre sports bikes put out nearer 150bhp.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_1098

The 1198 engine has only been around for a couple of years (firstly in the £26K 1098R, and you had to put in use the included race ECU and Termignoni exhausts to get it all), a recent I4 would manage that no problem (08-on fireblade, BMW S1000RR).

If money was no object* how about a D16RR?

*A bit of pointless phrase on LCB, maybe

oldtimer

posted on 21/5/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Having had Suzuki and Ducati twins I'm also a bit dubious about their suitability, especially the Duke. Clutch fragility has already been mentioned - may be worth it for the sound alone mind......
MakeEverything

posted on 21/5/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
^^Ditto with old timer.

Both TLR and Ducati engines require precise operation of the clutch which (i understand) is an issue for BEC's at the best of times?

My old TLR clutch was pretty much either on or off and needed forearms like popeye to commute in traffic.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.