Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cossie 4 pot upgrade
FASTdan

posted on 25/5/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
cossie 4 pot upgrade

We purchased some 4 pots from a 2wd sierra cos to upgrade our standard sierra set up - me thinking it'd be a straight swap on the hubs. However of course its not. It appears the 4 pots sit on the 'inside' of the hub mount, bolted through the calliper and tapped into the hub - as opposed to the stock sierra units that sit on the outside of the hub and bolt through the hub into tapped holes in the calliper.

The holes in the hub are m10 clearance, but it is obvious that the 4 pots have clearance for M12. therefore the logical thing is to tap out the hub to M12. however this gives a bit of a baggy thread as the original hole is a bit bigger than your standard m12 tapping drill (10.2mm).

What do people normally do in this situation? I suspect the threads I have tapped would be ok but its not ideal.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 25/5/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember right, you might need to grind some of the thinkness off one or both sets of lugs to get it to line up with the disc (about 3mm total)

but that depends on which disc you use - 2wd or 4x4 cossie
(there used to be a build site that had the detials, but its gone now )

I looked into this a while back and didn't like the idea of drilling out the lugs and making them thiner...

I've actually got a set of the 4pot calipers spare - I was hopeing that it would be a better fit on my granada hubs, but its even worse

as for tapping the holes, I'd just get longer bolts and put a nut on the back (or preferably a nut and lock nut)

[Edited on 25/5/2010 by mcerd1]

-

carlknight1982

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
becareful using 4x4 discs as the offset of the centre of the disc is alot smaller than on a2wd or standard sierra, you could try using 2wd single pot 60mm piston brakes same as the 4x4, should make you stop better.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

steveyb

posted on 26/5/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
i used 4wd cossy caliper with a 2wd cossy discs on standard 1.8 strut/hub, works well with plenty of stopping power.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.