Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bushes and Crush Tubes
simonk

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bushes and Crush Tubes

So, I had to remove the offside lower rear wishbone to change the diff, so decided to investigate the bushes and crush tubes as the rear suspension was very stiff when assembled.

On breaking it down there was no evidence of the tube turning on the bolts, I hadn't followed the advice to leave them a little off-tight so expected the bushes to be doing the work.

On the bench I nipped the assembly in the vice until the 'bone moved on the bush. Nice and smooth but certainly reasonably resistant.

I removed the bushes and tube, cleaned the powdercoat off the wishbone tube and filed a few thou off. Re-assembled and could now feel a clear transition from the face of the bush up to the crush tube. Not much to see but could definitely feel it. Nipped up in the vice and the bush was clearly not being clamped, yet no appreciable difference in force needed to move the wishbone, so re-assembled it al and left well alone - will have to look elsewhere for the creaks and groans !!!

Simon

Danozeman

posted on 31/5/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mines the same. Creaks like hell now so iv got to strip it down. The bush should turn on the crush tube not on the bone. The tube should be done up tight hence its called a crush tube.

They need lube on the tube. Most people use rubber lube. If theyr dry the creak.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

wilkingj

posted on 31/5/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine a year or so ago, and only one side creaks now

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 1/6/10 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
did mine a year ago too - don't know if it makes any difference because I'm still building the rest of it!!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SteveWallace

posted on 1/6/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis is still sitting on 4 bags of mulch from B&Q (I didn't have any axle stands!) as I have only been building since christmas. However, I have now done the rear bones, including tackling the dreaded crush tube issue.

I had to take the powder coat plus a bit of metal off the ends of the bones, but after that I was left with the crush tubes sticking out of the ends of the bushes by about 25 thou a side. If you do this, you can fully tighten the bolts against the crush tubes and the bones then drop freely with a slight push or when I rest a small hammer on top of them to add weight. With the hubs on, the bones drop under their own combined weight (or at least they did until I put the dampers and springs on).

No idea what it will be like on the road as I'm at least a year and a half away from that, but I thought that I would at least have a go at giving advice for a change, rather than taking it!

The attached picture shows how its looking

SteveWallace

posted on 1/6/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
As I am only a few months into the build, my chassis is still sitting on four bags of mulch from B&Q (I didn't have any axle stands and they will be recycled).

However, I have now done the rear bones and hubs so had tackle the dreaded crush tube issue. I found that I needed to take the powder coat and a little bit of metal off each bone in order to get the crush tubes to sit about 25 thou proud of the poly bushes. This allowed me to fully tighten the bolts. Doing this, the bones move fairly freely with the bushes rotating on the crush tubes- they needed the weight of a small hammer to drop without added force and they dropped on their own once the hubs were on (at least before I put the springs/dampers on).

I've got no idea what it will drive like as I am about a year and a half away from that pleasure, but the above seemed to work quite well and there is no lateral play. However, this is my first bit of giving advice rather than receiving it!!

The attached pic shows the progress. Rescued attachment DSC00549b.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC00549b.jpg

darrens

posted on 4/6/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine just started to creek on one side, it was fine until today and I read this post, proper creek n all
Steve Lovelock

posted on 6/6/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
This is the main thing that pi**es me off with my car, why didn't they sort this in production?

I am thinking of moving to stainless steel crush tubes as my current ones have rusted! I think that the cheap plastic bushes are also to blame but don't know what alternatives are out there?

simonk

posted on 7/6/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hello all

I got fed up with the creaking and gave all the bush points a spray with an aerosol silicon based lube on Saturday evening. All quiet on Sunday morning but had gotten a bit creaky again after 100 miles or so. Will give them a good dousing and see what happens.

I do plan to do it properly, but won't be for a few weeks and I want it quiet for the minute..

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.