Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any HGV Drivers on here?
coozer

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Any HGV Drivers on here?

As some of you may know I have two jobs atm. The weekend one is doing multidrops with a 26T fridge around the north.

Now, I work for Co-op who encourage us to keep the speed down, not break the speed limit and try and keep the trucks over 10mpg.

Twice today I have been rumbling along at 40mph on single carriageways when artics have taken huge suicide risks to get past after coming up behind and following me for a while.

Okay, in the past I've cursed caravans and trucks clogging the road up but the speed limit is 40mph now so that's that.

The other thing is the line of cars who when there's an open straight with nothing coming the other way just sit there behind...

Then, when there's a crawler lane they wait till the last 200 yards and commit suicide trying to get past as it goes back to one lane.

WTF is wrong??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

fha772

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know, i almost feel like drifting out in my lorry, just to spice it up for them.
Numpties!!!!!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a bit of HGV for an agency. I just leave them to it mate. My mind was always to busy. Despite what people say its not just sitting on your arse. Its 26T to manipulate around roads that cars sometimes have trouble with.
big_wasa

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
been doing my driver cpc today,

I am paid by the hour so they can over take all they like as long as they dont put me at risk.

There is talk of upping it to 50. Less bother to over take at this speed.

plutos3

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
now as some one who drive a lot of miles I find theres a lot of hgv that now ddive a long at 45mph on a roads that hold up the flow of traffic,they then come to a part of the road where there is a overtakeing lane,at this time they tend to increase there speed thus making it more difficult for the tail back of cars and vans to get past. Do they find this amuseing ?
fha772

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mind you it's even sillier overtaking me like that, i'm in the fairground industry.
My lorry pulls 2 trailers, and is 23 metres long!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

coozer

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plutos3
now as some one who drive a lot of miles I find theres a lot of hgv that now ddive a long at 45mph on a roads that hold up the flow of traffic,they then come to a part of the road where there is a overtakeing lane,at this time they tend to increase there speed thus making it more difficult for the tail back of cars and vans to get past. Do they find this amuseing ?

Not funny at all. The fact is single carriageways are 40mph and duals 50mph. I was thinking of this today, come off the single onto dual and sped up to 50. I was thinking the peeps behind must be thinking I'm taking the water! Amazing how many still sit behind at 50!

All in I think most of the useless car drivers these days cant overtake!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

drury318

posted on 5/6/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have driven tankers for BOC and now work for one of the major breakdown companies and have seen all sorts, I keep myself sane by thinking "if I get stopped for speeding, kill someone or crash, can I say the bloke behind me was hassling me? no they would laugh at me. Take your time and leave the others to their own devices, To**ers!, they`re wrong not you!
bj928

posted on 6/6/10 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
well i was a trucker in the UK for 20+ years, now trucking in America, out here the cars and trucks all go the same speed, depending on the state, that could be anywhere from 55-75, even on the normal 2 lane roads where in the uk i would have to be doing 40, i cruise along at 70 (should be 65) in the states where i can, my truck is limited to 70 at the moment, but hoping to get a different one soon that will let me do the 75 speed limit,, nobody gets held up, and cars and 4x4s come by me if they want (most do even when i'm doing 70!!, no tachos to be governed by, just a log book i fill in as the day goes, thats easily modified at the end of the day if it needs to be, i wish i had come out here 15 years ago, the truckers out here are liked in general, and the truck stops are great, 600+ miles in a day easy, 11 hours driving with no breaks unless i feel i need one. what better way to see america than from the cab of a nice american semi.

i really feel for you english lorry drivers, small cab, 56 or less mph, rip off prices, congested roads.

T66

posted on 6/6/10 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
What I cannot understand, is why you limit a modern truck with high power diesel, with huge brakes and loads of rubber on the road.......

To 50mph when the road limit is 60mph.

It immediately creates a differential in vehicle speeds.

And with the current lack of traffic cops on our roads shafting the idiots we see everyday, bad drivers continue to try and kill us overtaking Brussels speed restricted trucks on UK roads.

Lets be right, everyday you drive on a UK road you witness knobheads in cars, and not necessarily all 17 year olds either.

My pet hate is breaking the 30/40mph restrictions, these ones are KILLERS.

morcus

posted on 6/6/10 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Don't large vans have lower speed limits on non restricted roads aswell?

There are loads of idiots that will come up behind you (Often closing the gap at quite a pace) and then sit behind you when your in the car, Its just something some people do unfortunatly. I always seem to get them when I vist my grandparents at night, The road is awful and there are no lights so the speed limit (40) is to dangerous at night, but there seem to be a huge number of people who think they should drive at the speed limit, no matter what (Like on the motorway when its raining so hard you can see the splash back through a sunroof).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

flak monkey

posted on 6/6/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I am not a lorry driver, but do sympathise - it must be very frustrating

Large vans (classed as non car derived) are limited to 50mph on single carriage way and 60mph on duals and 70mph moyorway. So all your sprinters, transits etc

I was overtaking in the GTS on a dual carriage way friday at around 75mph, just get past a sprinter van and it pulls out directly behind me, less than 3' from the back of the car. And sat there for a good half mile - I couldnt pull in because of traffic in the left lane. At which point he moves closer and starts flashing his lights. So I give him the finger and boot it..... well it made me feel good at the time

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Ninehigh

posted on 6/6/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
My dad was a truck driver until he retired a few years ago, and his ethos appeared to be "I'm biggest, and I'm staying in this lane. You want to overtake or drive into the side of me that's your problem"

Danozeman

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I only drive 7.5 tonners now and again and it is surprising the cocks you get.
What also surprises me, i work for royal mail so the trucks are bright red and you still get people that dont see you coming.

A couple of years ago i had a lad we were testing for an apprentice with me, out in a truck testing an abs fault. some woman just pulls clean out on front of me, you could quite clearly see she thought "f me theres a truck coming striaght at me" and stopped dead in front of me. I nearly put the poor lad through the windscreen!! And she had a car full of kids..

The most bad drivers you see nowadays are older people not chavs. They just drive fast. Women and men alike.

As flakey says non car derived vans are limited aswell but when do you see a tranny or sprinter doing 60 on a dual carridgeway. Even transit connects are limited as theyr not car derived.

[Edited on 6/6/10 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
When I am towing the trailer tent with my car I am governed by the same set of rules as an artic driver. I have a question concerning the new 4 lane stretches of motorway. Are you allowed to use the third lane now there is another one or just the two as per the previous rule ? When the lorries are tailgating each other with a couple of feet between them then one decides to go for it and pulls out then drives alongside for the next 4 miles I am stuck behind while there is plenty of opportunity to get by.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
As flakey says non car derived vans are limited aswell but when do you see a tranny or sprinter doing 60 on a dual carridgeway. Even transit connects are limited as theyr not car derived.

I did not know that, and I used to drive them. I thought being under 3.5t and driveable under my car licence it would come under the same rules

locobri

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'm also a Royal Mail driver, up to Class 2 and the number of drivers that sit behind waiting to get past then when they do slow down to less than the speed we were doing before!!! So I'm doing 40 on an A road then get to a duel carridgeway they speed past then when it reverts back to normal road they do 35-38 WHY???

Ninehigh

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
They want you to use the horn!

will121

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
i think the miss match in speed limits between 40 lorries, 50 vans and 60mph cars on single carageways just causes problems and part is a lot of car drivers dont know what the limits are so get wound up following at 40
speedyxjs

posted on 6/6/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

Yep, true. We strongly encourage these speed limits with our drivers and regularly check their speed with our t-eye cameras and comment accordingly.

We have a transit connect, citroen berlingo and 2 fiat doblo's and they are all asked to drive to the non car derived limits.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

flak monkey

posted on 6/6/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The actual rule is if its plated to be over 2tonne weight (GVW) and non car derived.

Its in interesting point when you get on to things like L200 pickups, which are also limited to the 50 and 60mph limits of vans.... unless registered as dual purpose (like landrovers...) all gets a bit complicated. But for vans its very clear!

[Edited on 6/6/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Simon

posted on 6/6/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's all irrelevant at the mo as there seems to be an ongoing reduction of formerly national speed limited roads to a new 50 limit, which will no doubt become "the new black" so to speak!

Yesterday I drove back from north Wales - all the And B roads were great, didn't get held up at all.

Get to J17 clockwise of the London orbital (M25) and take nearly 1.75 hours to do 17 miles.

Reason - the bloody tolls. Sack the staff and knock the obstruction down.

ATB

Simon

lotusmadandy

posted on 6/6/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I drive a 44 ton tanker and am amazed at the amount of car drivers that are totaly ignorant of speed limits.

We are frequently verbaly abused when driving at 40 mph though a section of single carriage way,that we frequently use, by car drivers and even some other truckdrivers.

I think that some of the drivers these days need to be reminded of the highway code(prescent company not included)
to make the roads a safer place.
This is IMHO you all understand.

Andy

Ninehigh

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Present company included! We should all have one. Years ago I used to be able to remember a whole load of the sections so I could refer the underskilled of their follies

scimjim

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
must be spamday?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.