Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake light switch relocation
flak monkey

posted on 23/6/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Brake light switch relocation

After so many people moaning that my brake lights didnt seem to work I thought I had better do some investigation as the MOT is due on friday!

I knew they did work, but only if you pressed the pedal quite hard. But it does seem to require more pressure than I seem to recall. They passed SVA as they were - which I think equates to almost locking the front wheels before they came on....

At the time of building I put the switch in the rear brake line as recommended by a lot of people at the time.

Today I went out and bought another 3 way tee, a male-to-male adaptor and another switch. Fitted it directly to one of the front outputs on the sierra master cylinder. Brake lights now come on with much lighter pedal pressure - just as the pedal goes solid.

So there we are - fit your pressure switches to the front lines and save yourself the hassle of having to move it later!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mcerd1

posted on 23/6/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
or just fit an old fashoned mechanical switch where the pedal will hit it ('normally closed' type) - its got to be less hassle in the long run

-

flak monkey

posted on 23/6/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
With floor mounted pedals its very difficult to mount a switch somewhere out of the way....

Sera

britishtrident

posted on 24/6/10 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
It is actually a legal requirement that the brake lights are actuated with the front brakes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mad4x4

posted on 24/6/10 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
With floor mounted pedals its very difficult to mount a switch somewhere out of the way....

I agree I had several atempts at a real switch before giving up and getting a pressure switch

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/10 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
It is actually a legal requirement that the brake lights are actuated with the front brakes.

Really? I have never heard that before

Sera

mcerd1

posted on 24/6/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

I agree I had several atempts at a real switch before giving up and getting a pressure switch

ok, but for those of us that don't have floor mounted pedals its got to be the best way

-

l0rd

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I believe it can be easily done even on dmc congigurations.

Thinking of a small L shaped aluminium bracket behind the pedal near the clevis holding the switch or pressing the switch

wicket

posted on 24/6/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't believe that, how come a lot of production cars have a mechanical switch operated by the pedal, the pedal does not now which is the front or rear brake!!!!!!!!!

Doofus

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Thinking of a small L shaped aluminium bracket behind the pedal near the clevis holding the switch or pressing the switch

That's exactly what I did.

And it's safer too (IMHO).
Ask Kev99 about how he lost his brakes cos his switch fell apart.
My old car developed spongy brakes and that was because the switch developed a leak. I replaced the repro switch with a genuine Lucas one and it was ok after that.

The switches seem to require more pressure over time. I've seen that on a number of cars.

wilkingj

posted on 24/6/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Also DONT mount your switch with the terminals Upwards, ie with the fliud entry point at the bottom.
You can get a small air bubble in there that you cannot bleed out, and it makes your brake switch intermittent or non functional, even when the switch itself is in perfectly good order.

Fit the switch on its side or Treminals pointing downwards.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/6/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yep mine is upside down

Having problems with the car pulling to the right on braking now, dont think its air, but wilwoods are a pain in the proverbial to bleed so it could well be!

Sera

mcerd1

posted on 24/6/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
quote:

Don't believe that, how come a lot of production cars have a mechanical switch operated by the pedal, the pedal does not now which is the front or rear brake!!!!!!!!!

but then it is working on the front brake - if the back brakes come on at the same time thats just an extra

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.