Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Cosworth Gearbox
skibikejohn

posted on 2/7/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Cosworth Gearbox

How hard is it to find a Sierra / Sapphire Cosworth 2 wheel drive T5 gearbox?

T5's are easy to get on this side of the pond but they are out of Mustangs and have different input and output splines.

turbodisplay

posted on 2/7/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I guess you could replace the input shaft, or why not use a differnt clucth plate/ spigot bearing?

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 2/7/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on ebay or ask one of the specalist breakers - but your talking £500+ for a half decent one + shipping to the US

[Edited on 2/7/2010 by mcerd1]

-

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/7/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be very very lucky to source a Cosworth T5 in North America, especailly when they are laying around in junk yards for peanuts.
EDIT
Just read you have a YB, did it come from the UK?
You could get a cheapy T5 and just buy a T5 to YB bellhousing.

I have looked into this when I lived in Oklahoma and I think its easier to source a clutch plate with the right input splines for your box.

Seeing as your going to have to have a propshaft made anyway you could have it made with a correct output splines also.

I have a really good book I bought at Barnes and noble about the T5 and its model variations.

[Edited on 2/7/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

[Edited on 2/7/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

andkilde

posted on 2/7/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hey John

This is the best deal I've tracked down on a Bell.

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousings/Pinto-or-Cosworth-to-Borg-Warner-T5-Bellhousing/prod_15.html

I'm doing an SVT Zetec, but I believe the block pattern is the same as your YB.

Mustang V8 input is a tiny bit shorter (1/4" or so) than a 4 cyl T5 input, easy to make up the difference with a custom pilot bush. RWD motorsport offers a clutch kit but I think it's common with 4 cyl mustangs, so lots of North American aftermarket bits on the shelf, think SVO Mustang, etc.

Quad4rods out on the US west coast also offers a suitable bell, but it's pretty expensive and requires a $200ish concentric hydraulic slave setup.

This is a decent chart with input shaft lengths, pilot diameters and gear ratios for north american T5s.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

Either a 2.95 or 3.35 1st gearset is a decent fit for a hot four banger in a Locost sized car. The NA 4 cylinder T5s are apparently getting hard to get parts for. V8 one's both World Class and Non World Class are well supported.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.