Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost airfield day - Report
55ant

posted on 9/7/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Locost airfield day - Report

Hello,

Just got back from north weald and our locost airfield day! I hope everyone enjoyed the day, i had a great time despite not having a car! the high speed bend in the morning was fun with losts of sideways action, and lots of spinning action! some very impressive speeds as well,

nice lunch with everyone and good to put some faces to names! headed back and started the two circuits, some very good driving that i saw, some very competetive times and more and more sideways/spinning action, also some mid driving weight loss techniques being used, that bonnet was slowing you down anyway.

had a go in the mondeo on the smaller circuit, it was hard to keep the beast under control but i wresteled it round in an astounding 1:01, average speed of something like 110mph i guess? anyway left the driving to the other cars for the rest of the day! mondeo is making some weird noises on the drive home!

Thankyou all for the passenger rides, and really good to meat everyone, james R4 was superb and superbly driven and posted some very quick times.

I hope everyone had a good time, if anyone has anypics please put them up!

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

cloudy

posted on 9/7/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just back, thank you very much for organising - it was a great mix of serious all out, and having a bit of fun and experimenting - top job

Nice to meet some of the regular faces from here in person!

I have some videos/telemetry from the two circuits - will try and post up later tonight...

James

[Edited on 9/7/10 by cloudy]

www.warnercars.com

snapper

posted on 9/7/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Much fun although I had horrendous understeer on the fast left hander could not get past 63 although I did get well over 70 but just went straight on.
The handling circuit at the far end was a different story, even with a bog standard Pinto and the understeer I managed to get the time down by over 6 seconds.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

paulf

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I also had a great time it was a good day out and well organised , the left hand bend was quite difficult , I spun a couple of times and ended up managing 65 mph as my best, I did try 70 but that is when I found out what a spin is like at 70mph.
The circuits were great fun and I had fun improving my times on them.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Much fun although I had horrendous understeer on the fast left hander could not get past 63 although I did get well over 70 but just went straight on.
The handling circuit at the far end was a different story, even with a bog standard Pinto and the understeer I managed to get the time down by over 6 seconds.

eddie99

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you all had fun, managed to spend the day on the car sorting most of the problems causing me not to be able to come though, just got to replace the balance bar and head back to rolling road.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big_wasa

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I spent the full day on mine.

Found some issues, thats tommorow sorted then.....

ashg

posted on 9/7/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Had a cracking day with a bit of a demo from Andy the instructor I managed to get round the longer track in 1min 4secs which felt bloody respectable considering that I only have a 1.6pinto and was faster than a lot of cars with much more power. Have a video that Chris took of me going round that I will upload later on.

Worst part of the day was driving home 2hrs in the scorching sun stuck on the m25 in traffic. I'm cooked and more red than a well done lobster.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

big_l

posted on 9/7/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah guys as you lot have said it was well ran and alot of fun !!!

After some tweaks the car really started to come alive . I still can't belive it's home in one peice lol also let the gf dad have a go and beat his time by 8 seconds lol

Nice day all round

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

aka Keith

posted on 10/7/10 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ant, just want to add my thanks for organising the day.

What got me straight away was the site of so may 7's in one place, - I am lucky to see two or three at a time, so I turn up yesterday to see what? 18-20 ish 7s lined up to do battle. What a fantastic view.

It was great to put names to forum names - but I could have done with big badges with both real names and form names - as I am terrible at remembering names/faces.

Had a great time oeverall, but by abouut 3 I was knackered and my times were getting slower so I thought that I would try and hit the M25 early (big mistake) got toasted on the way home (and it took me nearly 3 hours to do the 80 miles home).

Ant, I hope you enjoyed he passenger ride on the left hander in the morning - that was a lot harder than it appeared. Just need a set of 888 or equiv rather than rain tyres I have on at the moment, to see the diff they make.

Gary M - passed you in the tunnel, and I was trying to get a backfire - which for once failed me. Hope your jouney back was better than mine and we should organise a local hoon soon.

Chris, I hope you sorted your fueling - good luck with Mr IVA soon, and again lets get a hoon organised as soon as you are road legal.

On a final note - woo hoo - car made it there, ragged it for hours hitting the limiter too many times - and got the car back home again -and nothing went wrong, no leaks, no fluids nothing wrong - first time- woo hoo.

[Edited on 10/7/10 by aka Keith]

[Edited on 10/7/10 by aka Keith]

pewe

posted on 10/7/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ant, top marks for getting us all together - never easy organising it and espec. as you weren't even driving it yourself.

Realised I'm never going to be the next Lewis (too old for that anyway) when on the big test the instructor jumps in mine and promptly does a 58 ( v my paltry 1.09) - bit of work to do there then - and of course that was with 80+kg of ballast!

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and meeting everyone.

Thanks and hope you sort yourself a car soon.
Cheers, Pewe

[Edited on 10/7/10 by pewe]

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/7/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
sounds ace!

Well done for organising! Great value too by the sounds of the initial thread!

I look forward to these videos.

Here is one that is already uploaded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJv5qLsLYoo

ok. ok, it just seem relevant!

hicost

posted on 10/7/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Airfield Day

Well organised day and thanks to all who arranged it. A bit of video enclosed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3b1qp_rdk

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 10/7/10 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Really enjoyed the day - thanks Ant for organising. Good to see so many awesome Sevens - gives me a bit of inspiration for finishing mine off.

Fuel pump went in last night, so once I've replaced a couple of relays I should have a car that can drive around under its own power (albeit without an exhaust, so probably setting off every car alarm in a 5 mile radius). Hopefully I can bring it to the next event.

I was pretty happy to get a 1:04 in the Elise on the big circuit (given that Andy jumped in and did a 1:01).

Forgot to take many pictures but here's one:

http://imgur.com/01GLA

GaryM

posted on 10/7/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Great Day Out!

Ant, many thanks for making it happen.

Gary

cloudy

posted on 10/7/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some video from the day, i'll get round to doing the other course later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRJzEe69GU

zetec

posted on 10/7/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote of thanks for a great day. Good to meet you all!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

BenB

posted on 12/7/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Big thanks from me too. Just go back from the long weekend in deepest darkest Norfolk.
Great fun! Shame I had to depart early but I had to get back and swap to the tintop to head back round the M25 and up the M11 (again!!).

Next time I'm going to nail to big circuit. After a quick trip with mr speedy I realise I was doing it all wrong Oh well! Twas interesting to see what my car can do when not driven by a numpty

ashg

posted on 12/7/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
video of my car going round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLK_Tw62u4k

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.