Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another Blackbird bites the dust
probablyleon

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Another Blackbird bites the dust

My Blackbird went bang at a trackday on Saturday! A big chunk of the crankcase decided it didn't want to be involved any more and gave full permission for all the oil to say hello to the exhaust manifold causing a fair amount of fire damage.

I'm now pondering the rebuild. I'm considering going for a Blade or an R1 although still very much open to suggestion. Does anyone know how similar the Blade / Bird install is? If I could use any of my existing fixtures and fittings that would almost certainly sway my decision.

I'm obviously on the lookout for an engine, so if anyone on here has something of interest...

iank

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, that sounds like no fun at all.

If you're after an engine from a new'ish low miler have a word with Malc (u2u yorkshire-engines) he's always seems to have plenty that have been dropped by born again bikers with 10miles on the clock.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=140262

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedystew

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

been there done that feel your pain

was your blackbird dry sumped ?

the cheapest way out would be to drop another blackbird in.if the blade engine your thinking about is 893/919 i wouldn't bother as the blackbird has more power/ torque.however if your thinking about the 1000rr blade engine that's another story, cost's a fortune to put in but worth it.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you're after an engine from a new'ish low miler have a word with Malc (u2u yorkshire-engines) he's always seems to have plenty that have been dropped by born again bikers with 10miles on the clock.

sorry but that is a bit of sweeping statement that i personally find degrading to those who (for whatever reason) return to motorcycling after a break, and its just not those labelled "born again" who are invloved in accidents you know.

Granted there are a few with zip up the back of their necks, but all forms of transport have those who should never pick up a set of ignition keys.

and just so you know NO i am not a "born again" there has ALWAYS been a bike in my garage be it a C90 when i was 10 to maico 490's to my current superbike.

please please do not perpetuate the myth that those returning to motorcycles are all idiots.

But in reply to the OP, i too would recommend a chat with "silly bugger" malc, and you may be able to use/modify certain parts used in your blackbird installation,

good luck with it, and sorry to hear "rodney" decided to say hello

[Edited on 26/7/10 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
893/919 blade lumps are very reliable though, you dont hear of many letting go in a big way like the other becs.

just my 2p worth, but an install wouldn't cost much to do and at least you wouldn't need to spend a fortune to make it track proof, unlike the other options.and they are still very quick engines.

cbr1000r is nice, but v.v. tall!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Was under the impression the engine mounts on a blade and blackbird were similar as a friend put a blackbird in a blade bike frame without too much trouble i believe.

[Edited on 26/7/10 by CRAIGR]

Andy B

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I carried out a conversion for a lad from Wales who was tired of his Blackbirds going pop. Changed it to 919 blade which was very easy. Mounts are different and so is exhaust spacing and a number of other bits and pieces but the interesting thing is when I spoke to him after a few outings he felt the car felt better with the blade and the only way he could describe it was "more nimble"
If you want to give me a bell I will give you a complete run down on the bits we changed to get it in. The lads are right about the CBR1000rr - its a real sweet motor but because of its 8 point injection does not sit well up front, much better in a middy. Its also quite an expensive conversion typically costing around £4000 minimum to carry out
Hope that helps
Andy

Gordy

posted on 26/7/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a 954 blade engine in my indy, its been very reliable and seems to be very strong and enough pace to keep up with r1 becs
MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
quote:
Originally posted by iank

sorry but that is a bit of sweeping statement that i personally find degrading to those who (for whatever reason) return to motorcycling after a break, and its just not those labelled "born again" who are invloved in accidents you know.

Granted there are a few with zip up the back of their necks, but all forms of transport have those who should never pick up a set of ignition keys.

and just so you know NO i am not a "born again" there has ALWAYS been a bike in my garage be it a C90 when i was 10 to maico 490's to my current superbike.

please please do not perpetuate the myth that those returning to motorcycles are all idiots.

But in reply to the OP, i too would recommend a chat with "silly bugger" malc, and you may be able to use/modify certain parts used in your blackbird installation,

good luck with it, and sorry to hear "rodney" decided to say hello

[Edited on 26/7/10 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Oh dear, touched a nerve there!! - And no i dont agree with the original statement necessarily, and yes i am a biker.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

iank

posted on 26/7/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I know plenty of people who own and ride superbikes for many miles a year and don't fall off them. Their view, to a man (and one woman) is that the majority of the superbikes dropped with delivery mileage aren't from people who've worked their way up through the cc's. But are those that had a bike 20 years ago, and have now got a pile of cash and a mid life crisis and go out and buy something vastly more powerful than they are expecting.

There are plenty of people who return to riding who go out and buy something more sensible for a year to get themselves back into the saddle who don't drop their superbike when they get it either. But they aren't the muppets who provide BEC owners with shiny busa engines with 12miles on the clock, who are the only people who might consider themselves being 'degraded' by my comments.

p.s. if it's the term you object to I suggest you type it into google, where it appears to be a bit of an industry standard, like it or not.

[Edited on 26/7/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Simon

posted on 26/7/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank

sorry but that is a bit of sweeping statement that i personally find degrading blah blah...[Edited on 26/7/10 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Chill man and take it in the light hearted wee taking kind of manner it was intended

I dropped my 'busa once - just did a real nice u-turn in a two car bay. Stopped to get off, leaned bike over and

had forgot to put the stand down

Felt a complete prat, but hey, gives me something to talk about!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 26/7/10 by Simon]

Dangle_kt

posted on 31/7/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I once parked my cbr on a hill, and parked facing down the hill out side the shop.

2 mins in the bike rolled forward with a gust of wind and me and shop full of people saw my bikes side stand ping up and my bike wobble over. crunch.

the joys of owning an inherently unstable machine...

I was only 2 weeks into owning it, but had worked my way up through the CC's, I;d just disengaged my brain that day.

Another favourite really was my first ever bike, tried bump starting it, run run run run jump side saddle onto the seat, bike fires and takes off, I let go for some reason and then watch my virago 535 covered in shiny chrome ride by itself for a good 30 yards before it obviously realised I couldn;t catch it and promptly fell over.

[Edited on 31/7/10 by Dangle_kt]

[Edited on 31/7/10 by Dangle_kt]

DIY Si

posted on 2/8/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
By far the cheapest option would be another bird engine. Did yours have a baffle fitted, or any overfill on the oil?

I got my replacement engine from Ebay. It came with a set of dynojetted carbs and cost me the grand total of £433. Which is why I consider my engine to be an almost-service- item. At that price, I don't really mind if I break it. In fact, I even have a spare CB1100 engine in the garage to provide a good crank, rods and cases should the usual number 3 big end let go.

Hell, change the cams and your gear set into it and you'll be back on the road with a full fat CBR engine. The only difference between the tw if the CB has lower power cams and is missing a middle gear. Let me know if it's of any interest.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

BATHO

posted on 28/8/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Another favourite really was my first ever bike, tried bump starting it, run run run run jump side saddle onto the seat, bike fires and takes off, I let go for some reason and then watch my virago 535 covered in shiny chrome ride by itself for a good 30 yards before it obviously realised I couldn;t catch it and promptly fell over.

[Edited on 28/8/10 by BATHO]

T66

posted on 29/8/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
So was the engine dry sumped/accusumped /baffled ??

At £400 for a bolt in replacement, I would put another one straight in .

Save the aggravation.

Blue Devil

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
im biased so i say R1 motor

As for "born again"... wow ive been reborn quite a few times... five times to be exact. Id also safely put myself in the top 10% of riders too. High-sides and low-sides are next to impossible when learning your abilities at trackdays or racing (id estimate 35 track events or so). Id venture its safe to say that of the top 1% of skilled riders 100% of them have crashed at one point.

I think the term you were looking for was "squids"... or the not so intelligent riders who dont wear any gear.

Mid Engine R1 build
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4970&start=0

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.