Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nigerian Scammer
Tim 45

posted on 4/8/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nigerian Scammer

Hi all,

As you may have seen i'm trying to sell a laptop and computer. I've put an advert here and gumtree.

I was contacted via gumtree about it, from a fellow who wanted to pay by paypal. Initially thinking OK, as I know people who have sold through paypal on gumtree.

Anyways, his next email is the typical scam email about just give me your paypal address etc...so i decide instead, rather than give him my email address, request the money via paypal.

Anyway, long and short, i keep getting emails from "paypal", saying money has been paid, and ones from him saying please ship to my cousin in Nigeria ASAP as I have paid.

I have politely asked to stop contacting me as no money has been paid and i no longer want to do business with him etc.

More emails came.

My last email then said that if he continues to contact me I'd report it as harrassment to the police.

Next thing I know, I've got another email from him with some long winded explanation of ceremonies ?!? and an email from 'paypal' saying I have 24 hours to send the item otherwise the police will be contacted. Clearly they won't and they can't.

My question is what would you do now? I've tried ignoring but they keep pestering.

neilj37

posted on 4/8/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would report the scam emails to paypal and let them deal with it. I don't think the police would be interested so probably not worth contacting them.
PSpirine

posted on 4/8/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, just contact paypal.. also say you can only ship to the confirmed address!
stevec

posted on 4/8/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you just block his emails and just forget all about him?
Steve

bi22le

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Send all relivent emails to Paypal and forget.

Or

Tell HIM he has won 1,000,000 Ugandan dollars and that you just needs his band account details, its alot of monies!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

norfolkluego

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I keep getting emails from 'Paypal' saying they've confirmed my change of password and would I like to mail them back with the password so they can activate it.

Frighteningly clever

jase380

posted on 4/8/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
tell him to go forth and multiply the scamming retard... they get right on my tits.
eznfrank

posted on 4/8/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tell him it's in the post!
se7en

posted on 4/8/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim 45

My question is what would you do now? I've tried ignoring but they keep pestering.

Ignore them, you are not trying hard enough to ignore them, they will eventually go away

richiegallon

posted on 5/8/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have some fun winding him up, I did this ages ago with a mobile I was selling, I had him all over the place! This is a good place to start! www.419eater.com
scootz

posted on 5/8/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful if winding him up... I did that a couple of years ago and it came back to haunt me.

Long story short... obvious scammer was led a merry dance by myself and he took his revenge! The following day he used a hacked eBay account to 'buy' all the items I was selling and then left negative feedback. It took weeks for eBay to eventually get round to cleaning up the mess he left!

Just remember that some of these guys are pretty damn clever... get one who has a little time on his hands and who wants to 'play' and it could lead to trouble...

It's Evolution Baby!

richiegallon

posted on 5/8/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good point, you do have to be careful, I think the one I had was particularly thick and I had a great time wasting his time
Ninehigh

posted on 6/8/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Can't the junk filter sort it out?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.