Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stress Analisys
maxubar

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Stress Analisys

Hi. My name is Tiago. I'm from Portugal and i'm starting my Locost in a week or so. The plan is to have it road legal but what's bugging me now is a 3d stress analisys of the chassis. i'm building according to the book specs. Anyone knows if there is one already made? I'm not a close with those stress analisys programs. Thanks
Tiago

Ps. Sorry for my english and i'm glad that i found this usefull comunity.

[Edited on 4/8/10 by maxubar]

bi22le

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house!!

I dont know how to 3D model including stress analysis. Some one far more useful than me will be along shortly.

Having a 2 seater open top fun car in a country that actually has good weathee must be amazing. I would make it my daily runner!!!!

Best of luck.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MikeR

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
good luck with your build - check out how you register the car if you want to drive it on the road. There are some builders from your country so they may be able to help.

cymtriks did some analysis of the chassis and posted some updates based on this. They float around the web so you should be able to find them.

[Edited on 4/8/10 by MikeR]

MikeR

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
in fact, read this thread ...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=119743

britishtrident

posted on 4/8/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Computer stress analysis takes years of training to get valid results.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

omega0684

posted on 4/8/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you are planning to make your own chassis make sure you are competent at welding. General rule of thumb, do you weld, then hit it as hard as you can with a hammer, if it doesn't break it'll do. (this is my rule of thumb!)

Good luck with the project, hope it all goes well......

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maxubar

posted on 4/8/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
First of all thanks for the tips.

I've a certified welder friend that's going to weld it for me. I'm an automotive engineer student and one of my teachers is helping me bc he's one of the persons that is in charge of the portuguese car aprovals. I think that will be quite easy to have it road legal. The stress analysis is required just to figure at the project.

Thanks
Tiago

mcerd1

posted on 4/8/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
if you are planning to make your own chassis make sure you are competent at welding. General rule of thumb, do you weld, then hit it as hard as you can with a hammer, if it doesn't break it'll do. (this is my rule of thumb!)

yes, but you never built your chassis alex you've got the same one as me

-

ettore bugatti

posted on 4/8/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locost7.info/mirror/chassis.php

Kitcaranalysis and final thesis are the documents you need.

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/8/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

yes, but you never built your chassis alex you've got the same one as me

Yeah but it probably does look the same now he's smacked the cr*p out of it with a hammer!

t.j.

posted on 7/8/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I find it funny that some countries need a calcution for the strength off the chassis.

But there is NO Regulation. Production cars probably will have one, but needed no.

Otherwise the Vauxhall corsa A cracked by slamming doors, Alfa 33 cracked at front etc etc. We have the MOT and the inspector decides if it gonna last for the coming period!

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

tks

posted on 7/8/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
I find it funny that some countries need a calcution for the strength off the chassis.

But there is NO Regulation. Production cars probably will have one, but needed no.

Otherwise the Vauxhall corsa A cracked by slamming doors, Alfa 33 cracked at front etc etc. We have the MOT and the inspector decides if it gonna last for the coming period!

This is not totally true!

Normal car companies, are subject to quality reportings and tests and verifications. Also they need to guarantee that an production batch is the same as the 'SVAed' model. Also mass production vehicles are obligied to destructive tests. So they indirectly do need to stress analysis their vehicles.

I think its bloody normal that a self build car is looked carefully at before allowing it on the road, where you and our families are daily playing, traveling etc..

saying that, it still is a nervous thing suchs examinations....

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.