Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exo 3 wheeler chassis
smart51

posted on 7/8/10 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
exo 3 wheeler chassis

Here are a couple of pictures of my new chassis. Still plenty to do but I thought I'd share the progress with you all.

chassis front
chassis front

[img][/img]

interestedparty

posted on 7/8/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
There is certainly a lot of work gone into that.

Can you remind me what the overall aims of the project are, I expect there are certain targets you have to meet?

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

smart51

posted on 7/8/10 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
My aims are 80 MPG and fun. I reckon it do be both. 22 BHP in 230kg will give acceptable acceleration and plenty of grins. I bought a MCC Smart in 2001 and people would look at it as if an alien had just driven past. I'm aiming for the same kind of reaction.

PSpirine

posted on 7/8/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
That looks superb, sir!
Miks15

posted on 7/8/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
not sure you have enough triangulation there?

Looks pretty decent to me!

kipper

posted on 7/8/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi smart51.
I like the work you are doing there .Are you still using the Piaggio engine? if so you might be interested in the 500cc unit I will be taking out of my three wheeler.
It may give you more fun than the 250.
I am replacing it with a Kawasaki zx9.
The piaggio engine has only done 112 miles so is brand new.I have all the wiring and instuments etc.
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

speedyxjs

posted on 7/8/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great! Is it just a single seater?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 7/8/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
One seat for simplicity. The front suspension has to handle all the roll and due to the super light weight, the driver is about 1/4 of the running mass being sat on one side would make the car lean all the time. A central driving position gives balance.

Thanks for the offer Kipper. I did toy with the idea of the Master engine but the idea is high MPG. The 500 offers 51 MPG and the 250 gives 82 MPG (official figures). Your 42 BHP trumps my 22 though. I estimate around 10 seconds 0-60 depending on the scooter's gearing. Almost double the horsepower would be fun.

smart51

posted on 8/8/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
With a little more added to the front, it's starting to take shape.
[img][/img]

Triton

posted on 9/8/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
CooooooooooooooooooooooooooL at last someone with the gumption to "dare to be different" my hat is off to you matey that is wicked and totally agree on the small engine as I reckon big bhp is just for those who can't use it anyway.

Love to know how you get on getting it on the road as I really do think that's the muttz doodahs

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a pic of the front lights. The trouble with the phone's screen is that the pictures look sharp until you upload them onto a PC.

front lights
front lights

Benzine

posted on 19/8/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome! missed this thread first time around. Looking forward to seeing it progress . I'm planning on making a 3 wheeled single seater when I have the time (diesel)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 20/8/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I did not notice the curve to the side rail first time round looks very nice.
fuoriserie1

posted on 11/9/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Here are a couple of pictures of my new chassis. Still plenty to do but I thought I'd share the progress with you all.

chassis front
chassis front

chassis side
chassis side

Looking real good, I like your new chassis design....

smart51

posted on 13/9/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've made a little more progress and the sides are finished, save for the last 2 welds. I've run out of gas.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/10/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's a light car, but the welds at the pivot of upper wishbones are going to see a lot of stress; have you done any calculations to make sure this is going to be ok?

Chassis looks like a labour of love though, you must be getting fed up of fishmouthing small tubes by now!

smart51

posted on 30/10/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
The sprung weight on each side is about 55kg laden or 120 kg laden with the rear wheel in the air . There is about 400 mm2 of weld on each top wishbone mount. I'm happy enough that it is up to the job.

I am glad the fishmouth cutting is done though. There are a lot of little tubes on that thing.

kipper

posted on 30/10/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
three wheeler

Hi there Smart51.
It would seem our builds are running in parrallel, really nice work you are turning out.
What are you using to cover the framework?
I am just going to cover the main chassis with alloy and do some grp moulding for the front nose section and rear after the roll bar.
Regards Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

smart51

posted on 31/10/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's going to be covered in some sort of fabric just to keep fingers and the worst of the weather out. I'm not sure what yet. Perhaps spandex so that it can be stretched over the frame with minimal sewing.

iank

posted on 31/10/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I might be wrong but I thought MikeRJ was talking about the wishbones themselves.

The ones I've seen of that design have a tube from the shock mount to the hub mount to spaceframe the whole thing.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 31/10/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Right, I get it now. I was also going to put a tube across the length of the wishbones so I calculated the bend in the arms under shock load. It was less than 0.1mm, if memory serves, in a several g drop onto the front wheels. My only concern is the short length of tube that the bushes push into. I don't mind if the wishbones fail in a crash (better for your legs than pulling the frame out of shape). I'll be keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't pull out of shape in use.

Triton

posted on 15/1/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Anymore progress on this wee beast?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

smart51

posted on 15/1/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
lots of little bits. Nothing much that will show up on a photo. I'm in the process of making some cycle wings. I've got hold of a tyre 2 sizes bigger than the ones I plan to use and covered it in parcel tape, than laid fibre glass over the top to make the carcasses of them. Once I've trimmed, filled and painted, I'll post a pic.

Triton

posted on 4/2/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
How's it going with the exo trike?

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

smart51

posted on 5/2/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
OK, black is officially the hardest colour to photograph and the reflector means I can't use the flash (or all you see is red glow!)
cycle wing with reflector
cycle wing with reflector

Compound curves are really hard to apply filler to and keep them "flat". A lot of sanding was needed. Thankfully I discovered spray filler which is a life saver.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.