Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK GT1 Fire blade engine mounting
andytat

posted on 10/8/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
MK GT1 Fire blade engine mounting

Hi There.

I have one of the original MK GT1's which I am just getting round to finishing off, I know I've had it for 7 years I think!!
I need a bit of help with a couple of things.
1) I'm not sure how to design my engine mounting cradle, the engine is on its way to Singapore from Malcolm at Yorkshire Engines as we speak so I haven't seen it yet.
2) Where is the fuel tank supposed to fit?
If any one can help I'd much appreciate it.

Andy

Mike S

posted on 10/8/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry Andy, took me 7 years as well !! Chassis number 2 in fact.

What engine did you specify when you originally got the kit? Most were Blackbirds at the time.

There is not an engine cradle like the front engined 7 types use as it is the right way round in the back so uses brackets to the engine mount positions at the bottom of the engine from the chassis rails and couple of fore and aft rails that pick up on the top (cylinder head / Block) positions.

Should not be too big an issue to modify it to fit a Blade engine.

My fuel tank is in the engine compartment as I wanted to keep the weight in that position but others have used tanks in the side pods.

If you need anything else let me know. There are some pics in my photo archive, but if you want anything specific, let me know.

Best of luck with finishing it off.

Mike

By the way, I see it's your first post. Welcome.

[Edited on 10/8/10 by Mike S]

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

andytat

posted on 11/8/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help Mike.

I think I specified a Blackbird engine but ended up buying a cheap FZR 1000 engine, rebuilding that and fitting it. Only problem was it wouldn't run at all well so I lost enthusiasm with it & because the donor bike was still registered the authorities in Singapore made me scrap it because it hadn't been taxed for 6 years. To rub salt in they fined me as well. It's taken me a year to get back into the project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2AYEEhxRRk

Hopefully that is it on the dyno, notice the masking tape covering half of the carbs. It was the only way I could make it run.
On another not, I have a shortened rack but it seems to have about 4 turns lock to lock.
Any ideas where I can buy a quick rack for the GT1? Is it the same rack fitted to the Indy?

Cheers.

Andy

Mike S

posted on 12/8/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Andy

Yeah, Singapore is a "fine" place isn't it.

Do they still fine you for having chewing gum?

Interesting dyno footage, shame you could not get the engine to work without the restrictor.

With regard to the steering rack. It is a shortened Sierra rack and it is about 4 turns lock to lock.

Mine is the same but thinking of getting a quick rack kit from Quaife for it. Think it is something like 2.7 then.

Burton Power stock the kit.

Would have to shorten the new quick rack to fit.

Don't know if it is the same as the Indy though. If you want to find out perhaps email Martin Keenan.

Hope it helps.

Mike

andytat

posted on 13/8/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha.

I'm sat in front of the computer chewing gum that I had to buy from a pharmacy and show my IC and sign for. It's my cigarette substitute you see.
The fireblade engine from Yorkshire engines arrived yesterday so it's time to get cracking now.
I sent Martin an email regarding the rack, have you driven yours on the track Mike & even if not how do you find the steering?
Thanks for your help, I looked at the pics & she looks very nicely built.

Cheers.

Andy

Mike S

posted on 13/8/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Not been on the track yet, in fact not been out in it much at all since finishing it a year ago now. I have my own business and it has been a bit mad of late.

The steering with the standard rack is a bit of a pain and could do with being quicker.

Particularly as I use a Klicktronic electronic gear change with buttons on the wheel (I don't have a gear stick at all) and it would help with the amount of slack I need on the connection cable.

Yeah, it turned out ok. Was very disappointed with the fit of the bodywork but I think it worked out ok in the end.

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.