Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 crank pulley modification
brianthemagical

posted on 10/8/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 crank pulley modification

Hi peeps.

Have got a mk1 mx5 1.6 engine. The crank pulley for the ancills is efectivley two pulleys, the front a 4 grove belt for the A/C and PAS and the rear is a single V for the alt and water pump. As the PAS and A/C are no longer needed i'm wanting to remove the front pulley. The problem being that it looks like the front pully is pressed steel which bolts to the crank with the rear pulley being pressed onto the front.

So, if i try and modify the pulley by cutting the grooves/outer from the front pulley, would it adversly affect the connection between the two pulleys?

Thanks.

tomgregory2000

posted on 10/8/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
i would leave it well alone as it balanced at the mo and you dont want to upset it
GeorgeM

posted on 10/8/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a weight thing, skip breakfast for a day

I'm leaving mine as is

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

brianthemagical

posted on 10/8/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's to make a little more room at the front of the engine. It will hopefully sit behind a cross member, but it's currently a bit tight and subject to clearence to the rear of the engine. It's just make it a bit more pleasent during instalation.

And less weight on the crank increases the speed the engine will rev up, so when i'm sitting at lights and stuff it'll sound better/cooler.

ed1801

posted on 11/8/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Be very careful if it is the short nosed MX5 crank as even removing the pulley is a bit dodgy. Have a look on the mx5oc site for LWSC or short nosed crank. I'm pretty sure it affected the early 1.6 4 slot crank pulley engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.