Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor for next project
speedyxjs

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Donor for next project

My next project is going to be a Land Rover Series 3 or Defender which i want to make a bit... different.

My plan is to make it more economical, comfortable and basically, suitable for long drives.

The later two points should be easily solved with some better seats, sound proofing and carpets.

The problem i am having is deciding on an engine to make what is essencially a brick, more economical.

I want a diesel and it needs to be fairly common to keep costs down. I was thinking about a Jaguar AJD V6 but i am bias and it might prove abit on the costly side.

Does anyone have any idea's for a suitable engine?

trextr7monkey

posted on 18/8/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno the details (or if it fits) but a bloke near us runs range rovers and he fits them with Toyota engines which he reckons are more reliable and economical- an avenue to investigate further?
atb
mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nnrouty

posted on 18/8/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want to use your disco for.....

Do you intend to tow anything?

As long as its fast.... i don't care

Miks15

posted on 18/8/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
or do like bowler did and fit that supercharged Jag V8

What about a V8 with an LPG conversion?

brianthemagical

posted on 18/8/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure some of the later LR engines are used for conversions.
And are Transit engines used at some point?
Poss worth a look see.

tegwin

posted on 18/8/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would imagine an engine from a shogun/toyota pickup would be more economical than the landy lump....perhaps...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

russbost

posted on 18/8/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't you be better off starting with a complete vehicle with a suitable economic engine in rather than having to re-engineer everything to fit the Landy?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/8/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
just my opinion, but i think making a landrover efficient is a waste of time.

unless your prepared to fit very narrow low rolling resistance tyres, which will cause it to blow all over the place at high speed. and shed loads of weight.

Fitting a newer diesel is a good idea. I would stay away from common rail engines though. I know from experience how much of a pain they can be to wire up. A nice simple VW tdi would be ideal. Possibly a 2.5 5 cylinder from a T4 van?! or a transit engine, there used in the latest defenders.

Will

adithorp

posted on 18/8/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've driven a couple with Isuzu diesel convertions in them. Massive improvement over the l/rover units.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mgmiller

posted on 18/8/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like this.

http://www.ncfblitz.co.uk/page10a.html

speedyxjs

posted on 18/8/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
or do like bowler did and fit that supercharged Jag V8

Dont tempt me

To answer nnrouty, it will be used for towing and the reason i am after a series 3 or defender is because a) i like the look of them b) it will be used as a van and sign written etc and c) it should help show off my engineering skills to interested customers

Thanks for the reply's. Got some good idea's going now

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Irony

posted on 18/8/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if you took a Diesel Landy and then instead of putting a more economical engine in it you put the money for the conversion into the diesel tank it would be really economical vs the converted version.

My brother tried to create a diesel motor bike once from a small diesel engined van. But it was very annoying to ride as you had a manual gear lever sticking out one side and you have to ride one handed to change gear.

[Edited on 18/8/10 by Irony]

gottabedone

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
What about the 2.0 diesel from the 2004 onward X Type. 130 Bhp and 45 to the gallon. A plush interior shouldn't add to much to the weight of your Landy so it should cope..............but then a v6 is a v6

Steve

interestedparty

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I think that if you took a Diesel Landy and then instead of putting a more economical engine in it you put the money for the conversion into the diesel tank it would be really economical vs the converted version.

I can see that, the amount of money people spend in order to save money is horrendous.

For instance "my new diesel gets 45mpg" and forget to mention that it cost them £16,000, whereas my old petrol vehicle cost £600. Admittedly they might sell it in 3 years and it will be wort a lot more than mine (which will still be £600) but it will be a f**k of a lot less than they paid for it.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

mark chandler

posted on 18/8/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Do not get a series truck, not at all nice to drive when new on cart springs.

People have tried lots of conversions, I had a range rover with a Diahatsu diesel, these make a nice conversion but for real economy you will need a very modern engine.....

I doubt with the time and effort involved weather you would improve on a well set up 200 or 300TDI engine.

When you had the old turbo D's it made sence, not anymore.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.