Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Security Camera advise
ReMan

posted on 20/8/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Security Camera advise

Whilst my security is fairly good and also involves a dog I would like to put up at least 1, perhaps 2/3 security cameras and I guess something to record from them permanantly?

Anyone with any advice /experience on a budget and that wont make my house look obviously like fort knox?

Whilst I've thought about this before, the night before last a close neighbour was woken by the sound of the lead roof of her porch being removed i wonder what type of "caravan dweller" would do that?
Cheers Colin

fesycresy

posted on 20/8/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
We've security cameras around our building in work. They are next to useless.

The lead got pinched from our flat roof and you couldn't make out a face or the car number plate.

Although it has proved handy when cars have been clipped by the Biffa wagon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

cass3958

posted on 20/8/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Security Cameras.

Don't waste your money. I have been a police officer for twenty years and have seen very few good home security system footage. (Dark night no lights, shadowy figure) Even if the footage was good enough to id the offender unless it is a neighbour the chances of catching them are few. You would be better of getting the neighbours to be more vigilant (the old curtain twitchers) and making sure your insurance was up to date. Even if the offenders were caught the chance of getting any compensation from the courts is nil as these scum bags have nothing to give you back other than there dole money which you paid to them in the first place. Just make sure you have a burglar alarm on the house which is loud and let the insurance company cover the rest. Just my opinion.
carpmart

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cass3958
Don't waste your money. I have been a police officer for twenty years and have seen very few good home security system footage. (Dark night no lights, shadowy figure) Even if the footage was good enough to id the offender unless it is a neighbour the chances of catching them are few. You would be better of getting the neighbours to be more vigilant (the old curtain twitchers) and making sure your insurance was up to date. Even if the offenders were caught the chance of getting any compensation from the courts is nil as these scum bags have nothing to give you back other than there dole money which you paid to them in the first place. Just make sure you have a burglar alarm on the house which is loud and let the insurance company cover the rest. Just my opinion.

Welcome to LCB!

I'm a lay person so no direct experience but your comments surprise and concern me in equal measure!

Would camera's, as part of a well thought out security approach add nothing? I have reasonably high definition bullet camera's I use for racing and a quad camera processor. I would have thought that £500.00 would give you all you need including a few camera's and a recording device. However, if this has no value to the police and CPS, then I guess its a pointless exercise!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Humbug

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from the resolution of the camera, as cass said, if there isn't enough light you won't me able to make out very much.

P'raps movement sensors on the security lights could trigger the camera to start recording? If at night, then it would also trigger the lights

just an idea

dinosaurjuice

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
A friend if mine runs an industrial estate and a few years had a CCTV system isntalled. Loads of systems around for 8-10k for 6 cameras. but in order to have a system which actually holds in court they had to spend about £35k. The quality is very good and can genuinely provide hi res photos of faces from 60-70 meters away. Recordings made have been used by police a few times and have always stood up as solid evidence. not locost, but one of those things where you get what you pay for.

A nice loud house alarm is my choice buy a few more bell boxes off ebay and wire them in aswell. cant have too many...

UncleFista

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
My brother (RoadkillUK on here) has three cheapish IP cameras in his house.
One pointing out the front, one out the back and another covering the dowstairs they all feed a pc and the pc records any movement.
He was burgled a month or so ago, all three cameras caught crystal clear images of the thief.
The police recognised him straight away, he was caught and some property returned.
Without the cameras he'd be out there still, burgling...
I'll get him to list his setup when he finishes work.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

nitram38

posted on 20/8/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
We have really good CCTV cameras at work and they can see at night.
Early one morning just before I went home, I used a remote starter to run my car. You can't get into it or take it away, but the running engine attracted 10 yobs who went around it trying the door handles.
One of them even looked through the security officer windows and forgot about a camera right in front of him. We had clear pics of a few of their faces (usual hoodies in place).
We called the police that morning and they couldn't spare anyone but someone would come out to view the cctv.
We called 4 days running, still no police.

Basically they are only interested in really "sexy" crimes like murder and big drugs busts.
If they caught offenders for smaller crimes, then maybe they might not go on to commit bigger ones?
Just a thought

AdamR

posted on 20/8/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
As above, IP camera are the way forward for an inexpensive home set-up. These are computer controlled and only record when movement is sensed. It's usually possible to set-up email/text notifications whenever movement is sensed and view the cameras live over the web. So you can then potentially call 999 and get the intruder caught red handed.
ReMan

posted on 20/8/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting and varied reponses.
A cursory glance on FBay, interested me in the IR / PI cameras which prompted the post.
Unclefista's being particularly positive.
As to the deterrant value, I would have hoped it would be quite high, particularly in conjunction with a visible alarm?

T66

posted on 20/8/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been a cop a long time too....

cassy is exactly right.

Buy another dog, best bet a little one Terriers are particularly good. Little dog wakes up big dog, you wake up let dogs out of house.

cctv is not much use , unless of high quality and operated by someone with a brain.

Its not a deterrent, a decent gate/fence /hedge is, and nosy neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

Ahem....

ReMan

posted on 20/8/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Ive been a cop a long time too....

cassy is exactly right.

Buy another dog, best bet a little one Terriers are particularly good. Little dog wakes up big dog, you wake up let dogs out of house.

cctv is not much use , unless of high quality and operated by someone with a brain.

Its not a deterrent, a decent gate/fence /hedge is, and nosy neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

Ahem....

Im afraid my country pile does not run to gates on the front with dobermans prowling behind them.
I live in a "normal" semi, with normal frontage so unless I don't want post or milk either then it would be inpractical to secure this further.
Likewise most of my meighbours, nosy or otherwise are asleep at 3am in the morning, henc looking at what might help?
My insurance is up to date, but really is'nt that rather "after the horse has bolted"?
Better getter gun!

nemesis v12

posted on 20/8/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
a light activated camera system that records direct onto hard drive is an idea the small new digital cameras in the domes have tilt pan and zoom all built in.

big dogs are not always a deterent as my rotty was poisoned and they just left him and got off off with both family cars and what ever they could load in to them.

for your garage a "fence" of chicken wire wired direct into your fuse box can be fun or via an ignition coil to a car battery.

when i was building my car a freind who entered robot wars showed me pnumatic rams we rigged one up to the chassis rail behind the dash and aimed it at the clutch peddel.
if it wasnt disarmed, pressing the clutch hit a micro switch that activated the solinoid and hey presto a shattered shin bone and a thieving little f*****r out of action for while...
pity mr SVA didnt approve ;o)

to old to die young

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.