Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommend me a mule please
mrwibble

posted on 23/8/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
recommend me a mule please

Guys, i'm toying with the idea of a 4x4/pickup/land rover esc vehicle to ferry around engines/fibre glass/ general car related gubbins. Its my plan to use it as a second car not a daily runner, just to save my current tin top from being covered in oil/dirt and scratches.

I;ve looked into old landies but am surprised to see they have become prized collectables and getting anything driveable for less than £3k seems impossible.

As its a bit of fun, and mainly to help during this build i was aiming for around £400 maybe £600 tops.

any thoughts?

p.s
oh and it might be useful to be able to tow my build to iva etc.

[Edited on 23/8/10 by mrwibble]

interestedparty

posted on 23/8/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have to be 4X4? Otherwise any big estate car would suit and there are usually pleny around (less popular due to petrol consumption).

Big Volvo, Merc etc should suit. Soon as you go 4x4 you are in a different market.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stevebubs

posted on 23/8/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
old range rover.... may get one with LPG for not too much more than your budget...
loggyboy

posted on 23/8/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly vehicles that have any chance of comercial use tend to hold their value. So the chances of a pickup or anything utilitarian in reasonable running condition for under 4 figures is unlikely.
RedAvon

posted on 23/8/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
mondeo estate - great size boot etc and cheap
Strontium Dog

posted on 23/8/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a V6 3.0L shogun with lpg conversion. No boot space but big tow hitch! I'd take around £1100 for it with 12 monts MOT.

[Edited on 23/8/10 by Strontium Dog]

hughpinder

posted on 23/8/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you only want to move engines and that sort of weight, surely a small drop sided trailer +tow hitch on whatever car you have now is a better bet- saves 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of road tax, 2mots, lifting stuff into the boot etc.

Obviously if you want to move full cars your current car may not be up to it.

Regards
Hugh

flibble

posted on 23/8/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can guarantee this won't be a popular choice but my old £500 frontera went forever, was cheap to fix and (admitedly due to stupidly chunky anaconda tyres) even managed to tow a few landrovers out of trouble on off roading excursions Boot was a reasonable size, did 30+ mpg but was a little slow.
suparuss

posted on 23/8/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a 97 disco with all the seats removed which would be perfect. mechanically sound, perfect engine that doesnt leak or burn oil (just the odd bit of water) just mot'd it this month and only failures were a bit of welding on chassis and a corroded brake pipe, both of which i fixed my self.
id want more than 600 though unfortunately but its worth a try. been thinking of going back to an estate.

britishtrident

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Left field option ---- Rover 800 hatch --- loads of room for carrying stuff and really dirt cheap (sub 500 quid) just don't buy the 2.5 KV6 version.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

locogeoff

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I know of a Peugeot 406 Diesel Estate with 6 months tax and 12 months MOT it's been to the moon and back hence it's at the lowest end of your price bracket. IIRC It's mechanically good, but the bodywork is not in the best condition, passed an MOT though, and is a trusted workhorse. The owner is getting a company van. To say company car forces sale is a bit dramatic for these types of vehicle. It's a barge, barges are very useful when you want to cart stuff about though.

Greatest issue for yourself is it's in the Scottish Borders, which is a long way to view a car in that price range.

Give me a shout if your interested. For all I know you could be on holiday in the Borders next week, stranger things have happened.

Regards

Geoff

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/8/10 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
As title, I thought you wanted someone to smuggle drugs!!
A mule is a guy you use to do so...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mrwibble

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
If you only want to move engines and that sort of weight, surely a small drop sided trailer +tow hitch on whatever car you have now is a better bet- saves 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of road tax, 2mots, lifting stuff into the boot etc.

Obviously if you want to move full cars your current car may not be up to it.

Regards
Hugh

yeah you are right, a trailer makes more sense, but i had images of myself in a green landy battling over hills to find that magnificent ford zetec at the end of the rainbow...(with a pair of biggles goggles and a scarf for some reason?)

a trailer would also serve my alternate motive which is to stop the cheeky *** next door parking virtually on my drive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.