Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: worthwhile?
blakep82

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
worthwhile?

don't know how much more welding i've really got left to do nowadays, but kinda fancy one of those auto darkening masks. also, want one that looks cool.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cwh7-arc-activated-welding-headshield-2/path/welding-accessories

these are the same price as the plain black ones

never really trusted them before, but do they all have UV blockinng glass if they don't darken?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
definately worth while. one of those purchases where i didnt realise how good it was until i couldnt use it one day! i got a cheapy ebay one and its never failed...
Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
My youngest lad got me one Xmas before last, worth it's weight in gold.

GET ONE!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Michael

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dad brought one about 15 years ago, and he also had his doubts after spending years using hand held shields.

I've now used it for 10 years and its never played up (not sure where he got it though)

blakep82

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
cool anything to watch out for?
i'm slightly wary of ebay ones, all from china, little come back if its faulty etc.
i'd rather spend double the price and get one from a shop (even if its still made in the same factory as the chinese one)
battery vs solar power etc

watching programs like american chopper, american hot rod etc, they have ones that when they nod their heads they flip down, do they lock down? i've got a full face one, but it swings about when i look down (or tighten til it it won't flip)
don't suppose thats a major worry for the auto darkening one, but do they tend to do this too?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Wadders

posted on 24/8/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but i don't rate clarke/machine mart stuff, it's generally pants
Do a google for Esab origo tech. really good value for money helmet, from a well known welding machine manufacturer ( i paid £55 from my local welding shop). It gets used on a daily basis for mig and tig.
Just paint your own flames on it if you want to look flash

Al

blakep82

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Sorry, but i don't rate clarke/machine mart stuff, it's generally pants

i agree, a lot of their stuff is. think their welders are great for the price, but any of the welding on their other stuff isn't great.
will obviously have a good look before buying though.
will keep the esab ones in mind though! they look pretty good

NigeEss

posted on 24/8/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
They are an absolute godsend, I've an Optrel Satellite which I paid £100 for
three years ago. Not cheap but what price do you put on your eyes ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

blakep82

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
They are an absolute godsend, I've an Optrel Satellite which I paid £100 for
three years ago.

eek over £200 now, but it has been discontinued, and replaced with a new model number right enough

skodaman

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one locally for about GB$45 and it makes it a hell of a lot easier. Particularly with arc welding.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
short track 123

posted on 25/8/10 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
speedglas are top notch. Shop around and you should get a good deal.
I have a 9100xx and got it just over 1/2 the list price at our local welding suppliers but we do spend a fair bit of money with them.

Never used them before but this is a good helmet and a good price.

For the last 6 month I've uesd mine for at least 8 hours a day.

Link to welding helmet

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Peteff

posted on 25/8/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I received a cheap 9-13 free with my welder and it is quite good. I was always happy with my old fixed glass screen but it doesn't get picked up now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.